“The Best in Puerto Princesa City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa

You added Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Brgy. Bancao-Bancao, Canuigaran St., Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island 5300, Philippines   |
Ranked #107 of 146 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“The Best in Puerto Princesa City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed in Elite Pool Access for 4 nights and they welcomed us with nice music from Kulintang. Our group were properly accommodated and well arranged when we arrived. A beautiful cultural presentation also prepared during our first night dinner. The breakfast is just limited in few choices and always i found the food trays empty. Service is not so good which is not good for 5 star hotel. I saw the water villas and is not yet finished. Only 2 villas are available. The pools are great. The structures of the buildings and the designs are the best in Puerto Princesa City. The best alternative for very far 5 star hotels in Palawan. No beach but they have sandbar which 500 pesos charge (it should be free). The idea of putting cable car to sandbar is not good that's why they building hanging bridge to sandbar. They have Karaoke at Sala. Nothing much to do at night as no gym yet, they have menus but not all foods are available.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Could be nice but this is not a resort or a spa! Still under construction and prices expensive for the state it is in. They claim to be a five star property but nothing five star about it. No hot water, no spa, no beach access (they charge to take you to the sandbar), no red wine at the restaurant. The do have rooms and air on. Rip off for the price. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Teaneck, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our stay at the resort from June 26-30 was no more than disappointing.
The resort charged us 10,000pesos ($232) per night for an Elite pool access room, but there is nothing to do in the resort
1. The Gym is not yet built. We weren't informed. The website showed a nice pic, but it was a lie.
2. Recreation room is not yet built. Again, it wasn't mentioned to us.
3. Only 2 out of 4 restaurants were open. Not a lot of choices for us. They were also promoting that they have a cultural show at one of the restaurants, but they didn't have one during our stay. I was informed that they don't have it anymore.
4. The room phone is only for the resort. We were unable to call outside, even for local calls..
5. No wifi in the rooms. The only wifi access areas are at the receiving desk and the Pizza restaurant. And you have to be in a certain spot, or else, it wouldn't work.
6. There don't have water villas. We originally booked for the Water villa 3 months ago which was accepted. Wondering where they would house us if I did push through with my villa reservations. They were rushing to finish 3 villas while we were there. Plus, there is only a few inches of water under the villa ( tons of weeds).
7. Key room had to be reprogrammed 3 times a day. Imagine going back and forth the room and desk all day. My husband was really frustrated.
8. No hot water in the shower.
9.swimming pool is not filtered. The pool was not filled up to the top, so the water cannot reach the filter. Lots of debris in the pool too.
10.THERE IS NO BEACH.
11. There is no Spa. They were offering to provide massage therapy in my room. It was tough to get a massage when my husband and child is in my room, plus plumbers fixing our shower which was giving trickling water.
12. The buffet is just ok.
13. The water features surrounding the lobby and the restaurant was empty (we saw hermit crabs and frogs in it though, so my daughter had a blast).
14. The Elite pool access room is no different from Pool villa. You're just paying more for the villa.

None of the items above was mentioned to me when I booked for my vacation. I came to 5 star resort expecting one, but we only received a resort struggling to survive. Coming from Ritz Carlton Hong Kong, and Shangrila Boracay and Makati after Palawan (all 5 star resorts), Princesa Garden Resort and Spa is nothing compared to them.

The manager and staff were trying their best to accommodate us, but they were limited by the resource that they have.

I suggest waiting for 2 years before booking in this resort. Maybe by that time, they've already built the rest of their facilities.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are the best ones.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed here with friends after our hotel had cancelled on us at the last minute. As such, we just needed a place to crash for a couple of nights... but ended up staying for 5 nights!

So first of all, we were visiting when the property was not yet fully built, but even with half the facilities in place, the grounds are beautiful, the staff helpful and friendly, and the pool... sigh.

Things to know:
* Taxi-vans from the hotel are about 3x the price of motorcycle-taxis back from town, but even so, the price is fairly minimal (generally less than US$10 - split between 3-5 of us).
* The banana smoothy things from the bar are awesome. Add a shot of rum and enjoy some tunes as the sun goes down.
* It's a quick shot into town for diving in Honda Bay if scuba diving is your thing.
* Skip the island-hopping trips altogether - the beaches are so-so (lots of sea lice - painful!), the food is terrible and the experience is very much geared towards unsophisticated travelers so feels a bit hokey if you're used to a more luxurious experience, and a bit OTT if you're used to backpacking.
* Do hit the nightlife in Palawan - there's random nights of great tunes, fire-dancing, and all sorts of tomfoolery to be found.

Room Tip: Get the poolside room! Nothing like walking down the steps into the water first thing in the morning...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Puerto Princesa City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was such a beautiful place. So grand!

Rooms are so neat. Pool is one of the best I've seen in town.

Though the pasta they served in the resto tastes just like a regular one, nothing special (not worth the price). Although, I loved their sweets/pastry entries..

Crew were friendly and accommodating.

I like the idea that they have this electric services around the area that can pick/fetch and send you to wherever you want (within the vicinity)--for this place is really huge and have so many amenities that are scattered in the huge land area.

It's just that it's a bit pricey.

Planning to visit their Italian Resto soon..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Was a bit hesitant to book this hotel but I am very happy I did. A new star in Palawan is born here I think. The place only opened a few months ago and not all facilities are present yet but what they offer already is simply great.

The room we chose (Elite Pool) was wonderful. Spacious, clean, good bedding, nice large bathroom with a rain shower and bathtub. Everything was very clean and very nice. Everything a room should have is there, besides an iron. We travel with 2 kids so ironing facilities do come in handy from time to time. The best part is obviously the pool acces. It is literally what it describes, when you open the window door of the room, you step onto a veranda with sunbed and chairs and you can step down the stairs, straight into a large pool. That is simply great, especially for our 2 kids (but mom and dad certainly enjoyed too).

Staff is very friendly and have a 'can do' attitude. You sense that people enjoy working here and you feel very welcome and appreciated as a guest.

Te various restaurants around the resort offer very good quality food and drinks. We ended up having most our meals inside the resort and that is something we certainly aren't used to do. Prices are very reasonable, no overpriced dishes or cocktails. No buffet breakfast at this point as there were not many guests at the time of our stay, but the offered alternative (selection of international set breakfast) is very good.

Location is good. Very close to the airport (the advertised 5 minutes is correct), the flight activity can be heard but isn't bothersome. Puerto Princesa city center is close. Quite a few classic attractions such as the butterfly farm, Baker's Hill or the Wildlife reservation are only a short car trip away. The hotel arranges transportation for a very reasonable price. Airport transfer is included so no hassle.

The main attraction of the resort is obviously the pools. The resort is beachside, for beach addicts however, there is a boat trip from the resort to a patch of white sand a few hundred meters in the sea, in front of the hotel. The surroundings are very nice for a nice walk or stroll. The resort is one big garden, well maintained and very pleasant. A number of other attractions are under construction and will certainly add to the fun in the future.

The life guard gave us a little tour of the work in progress, such as a number of seaside water villas and the plans with the beach and mangrove. I must say once finished it will be impressive.

We got an introduction rate, that made our stay extremely good value for money. At this point there aren't many other guests around but personally I enjoyed the calm.

One downside: internet. Wifi in the rooms isn't active yet and the lobby internet wasn't working most of the time. Internet is very important to me so having to rely on my mobile net was a bit of a disappointment, especially since internet acces is advertised and even the lobby net was bad. I am forgiving here because of the good rate and because overall my stay was wonderful but bottom line is when you advertise internet as present, it should be.

Hopefully the internet will be working during my next stay because I will certainly come again!

Room Tip: Opt for pool side, it's worth the rate.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!