“Good standards!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Citystate Asturias Hotel

You added Citystate Asturias Hotel to your Saves list
Citystate Asturias Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km. 3 South National Highway | Tinguiban Heights, Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island 5300, Philippines   |
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Paris
“Good standards!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

We choose this hotel with some reviews we read on tripadvisor, and it was helpful.
When we arrived at the airport a van was there to pick us up, arrived there the lobby gave us an impression of space. Your name is written on the welcome guest board, and this is a nice attention. As our rooms were ready early, we passed by the beautiful pool area to discover them.

Our room was clean and functional. Don't forget to ask for a double bed, otherwise the joined twin bed are not so comfortable. The bathroom was big enough, and there was an amazing pressure of water... while in some hotels you need hours to shower because of the lack of pressure. A long desk was there to put your stuff. Free Wifi is available everywhere and the speed was also good and surprising! Little inconvenience, there are no windows, and no view!

The breakfast was good, even though I can't eat these meatloaf, fried fish and other pork & beans, but I was able to enjoy pandesals, pancakes, fruits and other omelets. Unfortunately no expresso machine to get a good & strong coffee.

In the evening we enjoyed to eat "a la carte" (instead of the buffet) in front of the pool with a nice bottle (be aware that the corckage fee is 50% of the value of the product you bring in). The attention given in this area was lower than expected, and we had to go several times in the restaurant to order or ask for something. On the last evening we had an trainee waiter, and he kept on making rounds as he was lacking experience, but he kept on smiling, and was quite friendly. Totally in opposite with one of the front office girl who has never been able to confirm our flight with Cebu Pacific.

Overall we had a good stay, the rooms were functional, the restaurant (Filipino food only) was good and some dishes really delicious and the serving great. The location was also good, it's not the center of Puerto Princesa but you are at a quick tricy ride from it!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

This is the most terrible hotel I stayed in all my travels, even worst than hotels in Cuba! The aircon in my room is not cooling, its good that December is not that hot, but still, I have to suffer the entire night without much sleep. I complained to the front desk the next morning before we depart for island hopping, the front desk attendant promised me it will be fixed when we get back in the afternoon. When we get back at night, the aircon is still not working, it seems they already forgot the promise. I called the front desk again after dinner to request for aircon replacement. Two maintenance guy came and checked the aircon, they told me the compressor is not working, so they pulled it out and replaced another one. After an hour, the aircon is still not working, and it's getting late at night, I called again the front desk to ask the maintenance guys to check it out. They came over 30 minutes after, and replaced again another aircon, this time it finally worked. I am so frustrated that night and it ruined the rest of my days.

On the first day of our stay, there was no foot towel in the bathroom, they only bring in on the second day, but the towel seems to be dirty and disgusting, I dont even dare to touch it. Some of our relatives who are staying in other rooms complained their bedside table is not working, another room complained their electric socket is not functioning and they need to plug in the laptop for some work.

Breakfast at hotel restaurant is also a disappointment, since their food are cold, imagine you have cold pancakes, cold rice, cold bread and cold chicken in the morning. It seems that the only thing hot inside is coffee and fried eggs/omelets. They also dont refill the food and coffee immediately once they were run out. On one occasion, I run out of coffee and waiting for long time, but not one of the servers care to refill it.

Dinner in the hotel a la carte restaurant is also bad, foods are expensive, but not delicious. Another restaurant that serves buffet, their foods are so simple and cheap, but their price is quite high.

I have been to many countries and this is the first time I came to Palawan, a big disappointment for me.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stayed there for a day while travelling on work .Nice hotel ,very clean but the rooms were very damp.
The staff were very helpful and tried to cater to my vegeterain diet requirments.The pool was warm and clean.
Would be a good place to spend some time with family ,especially small kids.

• Disliked — cold damp rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

I stayed here for three days and two nights and found it really pleasant. The Standard room was bare - without any decorations, but it was spacious and clean. So that's pretty OK for me. The room was rather dim though with only two table lamps and no fluorescent lights. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were a bit lumpy. The TV channel guide on the night table was not updated so I had to do some channel surfing before I found the channels I wanted. The bathroom was clean but I wish they could provide the guests with a bath mat, hand towels, and extra tissue paper.

The hotel staff were helpful but the front desk was not that warm and friendly. Breakfast was mostly Filipino dishes and were delicious and filling. The hotel ambiance was good, very refreshing. I love the pool and the well-kept garden. I'm not a picky guest so I didn't let minor hassles get to me. All in all, my stay was very comfortable.

• Liked — Swimming pool and garden
  • Disliked — Not-so-friendly front desk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We found the hotel lobby and public areas as well as the grounds to be well maintained and beautiful. The room was plain, but clean , large and comfortable with a nice bathroom. The TV did not work well, but good enough to watch . The pool was too crowded with kids for us to really enjoy, but that was fine, and fun to watch the kids ! The food in the restaurant was good. The included breakfast buffet was also very good. The hotel staff was friendy and showed the exceptional hospitality the Philippines is noted for. A good value for the money, and we would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — staff hosipitality and beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — plain room with a few minor broken items
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

This was the only Puerto Princessa hotel I found that took bookings/deposit over the internet. The room is rather plain, but serviceable, with air conditioning and satellite television. The gardens are well-maintained. The pool is nice, but no pool floats, pool toys or poolside lounge chairs. The breakfast buffet is Filipino dishes only. The dining room offers either a buffet or or menu selections of Filipino/Asian dishes. The menu includes shark fin, which we found to be reprehensible. The front desk has safety deposit boxes for valuables. The hotel allowed us to leave some luggage for the six days that we were on the liveaboard dive trip. It took the front desk several tries to get our room reservations right. We stayed three nights before the dive trip and one night after the trip. Fortunately, I had kept photocopies of the internet bookings. We arranged for a tour to the Subterranean River in Sabang through the front desk, but we had to remind them to charge is for it.

• Liked — Ability to book via internet
  • Disliked — Shark fin on the menu
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

The hotel itself is very beautiful inside and out. The rooms are spacious, but the feel is cold like. The beds are good in size, but the matressess are so thin,and the bed is so low, that you really are uncomfortable and unable to get good rest.
The location is great, not far from the city, but yet far enough to not hear all the commotion of the city.
The pool is beautiful and big and very enticing.
Overall, it's a nice place, but they need to do something about the beds and just the entire atmosphere of the place.

For the price I expected better!

• Liked — Location,Pool and Bar
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Citystate Asturias Hotel? Share your experiences!