“Worth to be expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Arreceffi Island Resort Honda Bay, Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 35 hotels in Puerto Princesa
Manila
“Worth to be expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

i was lucky to be picked in a draw in our work wherein the prize is a trip for 3D2N to Puerto Princesa, Palawan. we stay here at Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa. the trip is very tiring as you have several transfer from air, to land, to sea. good thing everything were arranged and you just need to bring yourself and packed of your clothes.

we were picked-up by a shuttle at the airport (we have tour-guide on board and glad to listen to some key-spots in PP, then we dropped off to a port to send you to Dos Palmas via 45 mins. boat travel in a spacious Honda Bay, staff are great, they make sure you wore a life-vest (for emergency purpose of course). while approaching the floating reception, a group of staff singing a welcome song while showering of petals in the water (very welcoming and you will feel you are the Prince of the island)

Foods are great! However, a friendly advice not to drink house water nor use ice (unsure where it was made of), make sure you have bottles of distilled/mineral water in-hand.

Our room is about hundred meters from the dining, so we have to walk for a long just to be fed. Good thing is that the room has comfy style with verandah and chairs, aircon is very cool, bottle of mineral water in fridge is great to replenish your thirst.

Helen's Garden is a spot you should not missed, I brought my own snorkeling gears and witnessed the beauty of Helen's garden, swimming with me are different species of colorful fish, a giant clam below caught my attention and it's huge. I love to fed the fish while exploring the area.

Bad thing in the shore of DP is that sea-grass were over populate it, I tried using the Kayak with sting-rays following me (glad if i have a picture of it). You can swim in other parts of the shore by checking and avoiding sea-grass, the sand is not as white as Boracay or Puerto Galera.

Nightlife, we had a buffet dinner, entertained with fire dancing, food is great (less in salt), the night filled with cricket sounds, very relaxing over-looking the bay. If you are party goers then this is not for you, the night is romantic added with dim lights of the resort, this is great for honeymooners.

In general the stay is good and this resort really attracts serious type of people, romantic and those who appreciate the relaxing quite environment.

Oh by the way, DO not ever ever try to miss the Subterranean River National Park or your visit to Palawan will be useless....

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

Mu husband and I spent our honeymoon @ dos palmas for 3 days and 2 nights.. It's a relaxing getaway for us.. the resort is very quiet, we did kayaking, snorkling, play table tennis, billiards, couple's spa, biking, & drinking!

the buffet meals are great!! the room is cozy and cleaned everyday! you'll feel that you own the resort!

this resort is good for families, couples, friends that would like to relax.. this is not applicable for party people.. we enjoyed our stay because of great food and nice view..we did not swim on the beach because of we're afraid of jellyfish..hehe..

we got this dos palmas package @ palakbayan fares and promos @ Philippine airlines...got it for 28k (PHP) - good for two persons already with air (manila naia to puerto princesa), land, and boat roundrtip transfer, buffet meals w/ accommodation for 3D 2N..you need to have a friend in manila for them to pay it in cash @ pal offices..they do not accept cards.. too bad..

hope this helps!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

This was my second trip to the Philippines and I had been to Boracay 20+ years before. So I expected a fabulous beach and beautiful surroundings. Dos Palmas is special because you're on your own PRIVATE island. PROs: If you like quite, this is it. Very little nightlife except a fire show by the staff. Plenty of food choices where everyone can find something. The best was HELEN'S garden. It's the best snorchel sport I have seen in the many places I have been in the World (Barrier Reef, Hawaii, Red Sea). Truly amazing, colorful! Don't miss it. Staff is very nice and helpful.
CONS: They should have a bit better selection on clothing batching suits, etc. It would be nice to do a bit more shopping there. The Island hopping excursion was not worth the price we paid because the corals were dead in the other islands. Helen's garden was a 1 min boat ride and far more spectacular and really showcased the fabulous marine life in Palawan. The spa was always booked and seemed a bit pricey. Overall the spa facilities are nice.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

My partner and I traveled to Dos Palmas this past holiday for a week of rest. I concur with the other reviewers, as the location is isolated and makes for a peaceful visit. Although we enjoyed ourselves with the fantastic views and were able to find swimming spots (albeit outside of the island), if you are a discerning traveler this may not be your choice of hotel. We found the buffet style food to be overbearing and unsophisticated (butter, grease and meat galore) and the group meals felt as if you were on a cruise ship. The constant live music at meal times was a bit off putting. The staff was young and quite lovely yet unable to really match the demands of a 4 star hotel (and we were paying a 4-5 star hotel rate). It is also quite clear that the management is not very involved with the operations and we found the general manager mostly at the bar eating. We were also appalled at the long hours the staff works-up to 16 to 18 hour days-further confirming that the owner (whom we found out rarely comes to the island) rather than paying fare wages and adhering to labor conditions is making the most money he or she can off the labor. The massage staff, albeit sweet, are not experienced. Three days after my shiatsu (and we are regulars to this style of massage) and yoga nor a good swim have helped me re-adjust.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Relaxing island getaway. The staff here are the friendliest and most helpfull you will find in the region. Great snorkle and dive sites abound in this Honda Bay location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
san mateo, rizal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Yearly, our family usually celebrate Christmas out of town or sometimes out of the country. Eary 2009 sometime in March, I search the web to look for a place we're going to spend our holidays and I chose Dos Palmas. So it was booked as eary as March. I was so excited 'coz i've read lots of reviews and I already know what to expect even if we are all first timers. I was never been wrong in chosing this resort , my three kids ages 6, 3 and 1 yr old really had a great time. The staff are very accomodating and the cultural show is very entertaining. My in-laws enjoyed the whole time we stayed there specially the food... sooo fantastic. The place is so serene and peaceful ,perfect for relaxing and unwinding, you couldn't ask for more, its all in there. Although my husband really want some more entertainment at night I know he was happy also that we stayed there. We even went to an island called "Puting Buhangin" for a picnic lunch. It's a nice place, white sand and clear water without worrying of being kidnapped by abu sayyaf because we have securities to protect us. Our family really had the satisfaction on the money we've spend. It's all worth it..

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Manila Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

We had booked three beach villa rooms for three nights last October 2009. We had a wonderful time during our stay. The staff even surprised us with a birthday cake for my mother-in-law. The hotel staff had not stopped greeting her throughout the duration of our stay. The room was huge and clean. Room service was twice a day. Food was excellent and overflowing. Corals and fishes abound on their snorkeling area. On the second day, we had a picnic on a nearly island. What a marvelous experience. Truly a paradise in Palawan.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!