“A Backpacker’s Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of One Rover's Place

You added One Rover's Place to your Saves list
One Rover's Place
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   355 Rizal Avenue, Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island 5300, Philippines   |
Ranked #125 of 163 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A Backpacker’s Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

After a business trip to Manila, my colleagues and I went to Palawan. I liked that One Rover’s Place is just few minutes away from the airport. It was very convenient. After a delayed flight from Manila, all we wanted was to find a place to rest. We did not have any hotel reservations when we arrived at the city. Luckily, One Rover’s Place has a room to spare for me.

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist (Chikee or Cheeky or something that sounds like that) who told us that they do have a room but we have to wait for a few minutes because the room is still being cleaned. We didn’t want to look for another place anymore so we decided to wait for the room to be ready.

The receptionist gave us a glass of Pandan juice while we wait. We didn't know you could actually make juice with pandan leaves. It’s kinda weird tasting (in a good way) but it was refreshing, clean and delicious! After about half an hour, the key was finally given to us.

The room is pretty basic and has just enough space to walk around. There are 2 clean single-sized beds, an aircon, a closet, a table and a TV. Because the room we got didn’t have a private bathroom, I immediately checked where the bathroom was. Aside from being small, I didn’t have any problems with it.

When I turned on the AC, I thought that the room wouldn’t get cold. (Aircon looks too small for the room). But I was wrong. After a few hours, we were so cold and had to turn the AC down.

For a place to sleep after touring the city and the underground river, the room we got was not exceptionally great but good. It was also affordable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed here last year. We got the package via PTAA Travel Fair and we really got a good deal. The hotel's location is like a stone throw away from the airport, just in front is Kinabuchs and a little walk is Kalui. A minute walk to their municipal hall where the Baragatan Festival was held.

The room we got is just okay. My only problem was the water in the bathroom. Taste like rust, so we are really having a hard time toothbrushing and we ended up buying mineral water just for toothbrushing. Wifi is not that strong as well. Staffs are just okay.

We also got our tours from them. The city tour is very limited. We didn't get to spend much time in Baker's Hill, we felt like we were in the Amazing Race show. There were no snacks too, other tour operators offer it, even with souvenirs. Also for our Honda Bay, we toured only 2 islands. Snake and Pandan. We expected at least 3.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Compton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My family and I went to Palawan for an El nido trip. We stayed in One Rover’s Place for a night last January 27th. The room given to us was big enough for 4 people. We arrived at the hotel late in the afternoon of the 27th. The room we stayed in was great. We were given fresh sheets, the room smelled nice and the air condition unit is working properly. Although the bathroom was quite small, everything was in proper order.

The next day, we were told that breakfast will be served at the restaurant beside the hotel, Tio Rod’s Bar and Lounge. I wasn’t expecting much from the meal. After all, it was a free meal and we were on a budget hotel but the food was great and the server was very prompt in giving us coffee.

All in all, my family and I had a great experience at One Rover’s Place. While I can only talk about the room that we stayed in, I must say we got the most out of our money with our short stay. If I ever go back to Puerto Princesa, I’ll be sure to book a room with this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

The rooms of this hotel is just so-so. Comfort room is dirty, air-condition is very noisy..and the lobby is presentable and very hot..it really needs to have a major renovation. Very nice location. But the only thing that i really like in this hotel is the front desk staff,they really know how to entertain guests. Job well done KASH and CHE.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was fortunate to find the Hibiscus Hotel in Purto Princesa, but they didn't have rooms for one of the nights I needed and I stumbled upon this dump. I've heard that many places in downtown Puerto Princesa are pretty bad, but I don't think anyone should be subjected to these living conditions.

The outside of the place and the lobby both felt dirty and somewhat dangerous. The restaurant was closed, but there sat on the dinner tables plates of uneaten food and flies feasting on the leftovers.

They only had one suite available and it was really expensive, but we were desparate so we took it. We had to walk outside of the building through piles of debris, unfamiliar bugs and dead plants before we got to our room. Just next to it was someone's undergarmets hanging to dry. The room was disgusting. It had an awful odor, stained bedsheets and a bathroom so small that the showerhead sat right over the toilet. Anytime the water was turned on, the pipes leaked all over the floor. Bugs flew around and decorated the walls. The "suite" was so small we hardly had any place to put our things. We resorted to hanging them on the edge of the bathroom door and desk.

My partner and I could only handle a few hours of it before we asked the front desk if we could please have our money back and we would find another place to stay. The only bright side to this experience is that they were very understanding (it probably happens often) and gave us our money back with no problems.

Room Tip: Unless they plan on doing a full renovations, I would suggest you not stay here.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed here twice, the staff are very friendly and helpful. We went on 3 of their organised trips which were great and good value. We had delux room and executive room, both was very nicely furnished and good value for money. Only draw back is they have no restaurant . Would stay here again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I would like to focus on the two very effcient staff at One Rover's Place. Not that I didn't like the rooms- It is ok if you are travelling as a big group, the trips are very well organized, the tour guide was excellent and the location of the hotel - excellent!
I should give the credit to the hotel manager, Ms. Gigi Lumauag and her front desk receptionist for the excellent service. These two hotel employees made our stay a very memorable one and we will surely come back and stay at this hotel again.
Thanks again, Ms. Lumauag. We will never forget the hospitality and all the effort to help us recover our lost/ stolen property!
I highly recommend this hotel and all the trips in one excellent package. So book your trips NOW!

Room Tip: HIgher floors are large and sunny.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to One Rover's Place? Share your experiences!