“Big Creek” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Big Creek Mansion

You added Big Creek Mansion to your Saves list
Big Creek Mansion
2.5 of 5 Lodge   |   Zone 3, Barangay Masagana, El Nido, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #49 of 54 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
El Nido, Palawan, Philippines
“Big Creek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I had a good time when I was there. Everything was different. Being familiar with construction I could see that a lot of effort was put into making the Big Creek look good. Spoke with the lady who works there and was told that pool is coming soon. Cable tv and flat screens. AC. power out for half day time all over city everyday but no need stay in da room. Get out, its a free country [--]!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I stay here last April for four days. By the way ist time I arrived nobody wants to help you your luggage . Small rooms and iron smell of water. Not everyday change the towel and very bad I pay one day before in van going to puerto to reserve 2 in frontset but I arrived there is occupied . Well don't pay in reception to reserve your set number . If you go there is occupied the other passenger

• Stayed April 2013
Puerto Princesa City, Puerto Princesa, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stunning big creek, cold even at noon vast area and garden, delicious hang with friends, friendly and pleasant to talk to the staff. Treat you as a family member. choose big creek for you lodging needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Big Creek Mansion: located where the former bus stations use to be and is under major construction. It is located on the edge of El Nido so traffic is minimal. A second and third floor is being added. Only the first floor with 7 rooms is completed at this time.

Our room very spacious, modern fixtures, comfortable beds, numerous outlets, backup generator, excellent water flow and hot water. No safety hazards but no room fire alarms, I brought my own. .

Construction equipment and material adjacent to hotel was unsightly, but we were not there to spend time looking out our balcony as most of our day time was spent away from the hotel to tour and dive around El Nido. The evening at Big Creek was exceptionally quiet compared to the hotel we stayed earlier in down town El Nido. There was no construction noise.

If you stay anywhere in the PH, you’ll have to get use to roosters greeting the sun. I used them as backup alarm clocks. The hotel has a unique sense of décor, somewhat Disney land like with a lot of concrete sculptured and painted to mimic trees and logs. We didn’t run into the pig as mentioned by other posters.

Staffs were exceptional. On our first day, we transferred from another hotel, they allowed us to check in at 7:30am and leave our bags in the room, we able to go to our next island tour at 9am with no problem. Staff were very friendly, diligent and helpful. Anything we requested was quickly responded to and cheerfully carried out. Free filtered Ice water available for the asking. Breakfast was provided and delivered to where ever you wanted to sit. There are numerous places you can have your meal. They have motorcycles available for rent, unknown cost as I had rented from another vendor

Once third floor is completed, you'll have a great view of El Nido.

Room Tip: Theres only 7, we were in 101 which is right next to the receptionist.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Spent 3 nights at Big Creek resently. There was some construction work going on but it was not done during the evening.

The rooms are clean and the Air Con is good.
The staff are the real asset of the hotel, fast friendly and really know the local area. We had a dispute with one of the boat operators for island hopping. The hotel arranged a new company for us and arrange a great discount to make up for the issue the day before.

The hotel is close enough to the beach for an easy walk there and far enough away to not hear the music and people when it is time for bed. The rates are VERY resonable, almost feels to cheap.

Room Tip: Always check the aircon in tropical locations. Make sure it works and is quite so you get a good nig...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My partner and I have been to Palawan before. This is my fourth trip to Palawan. We decided to do it a bit different this time. We decided to go where ever the wind blew us and do it at low prices.

We arrived in El Nido with no reservations from Coron. There is now a air conditioned boat that takes only 4 hours from Coron to El Nido for 1700 pesos. There are no drinks or snacks served on the boat. So bring your own. Also be advised the toilet is the older Japanese recessed in the floor style toilet with no place to sit.

We decided not to go on the slower bancas. I strongly suggest you take motion sickness medicine on either boats. If you are prone to sea sickness.

The first night we stayed at the Marina Garden resort in El Nido. They only had 2 rooms left and they were 2100 pesos each with no hot showers. This was more then we wanted to pay every night. So we searched the town for cheaper accommodations the next day.

If you just cross the street from the beach. Hotel accommodations will drop in price about 500 pesos. Being on the beach has a extra cost and to some people it is worth the extra cost. My experience is that. After spending all day island hopping or scuba diving. I have little interest in hanging out on the beach.

We checked many hotels and prices. Most of the hotels on the beach had no vacancies. We finally stumbled upon the Big Creek Mansion. I remembered it from Trip Advisor and a bad review about a pig. Still we decided to check it out.

We were greeted by Jane the receptionist. Who has a great personality. She is very friendly person. One of the best receptionists I have seen in my many trips to the Philippines. She helped us arrange for island hopping tours and rent motorcycles. She gave us good advice and information. So I am going to rate service high mostly because of her.

The Big Creek Mansion Hotel is being remodeled and enlarged, but the first floor was open for business. There are only 7 rooms available at this time. We were impressed by the work. That was already done. Beautiful marble floors every where. There was a enclosed garden area with a grass lawn. The high wall surrounding the garden area provided privacy. Grass lawns are rare in the Philippines.

The rooms were recently remodeled and very nice. There were still some minor problems with the rooms. Which always occurs following new construction or new remodeling. I imagine the owner will correct these problems with time.

Of all the rooms we looked at in El Nido. We liked these the best and liked the price at 1000 pesos ($23.81)per room. Which was the best deal for the money we found. The newly remodeled room had a new air conditioner with remote control and hot water. It had marble floors and a nice bed. It had a back door to a balcony with a unpleasant view of a dirt vacant lot. Which looked like a site for further new construction

About 40 feet up the hill from my balcony was the pig and some chickens at a neighbors house. It is difficult to avoid chickens in the Philippines. Cock fighting is a national past time and is even on prime time TV. I have even seen roosters 28 floors up in a condo in Manila. The pig was not a problem. I could not smell or hear the pig most of the time. Except the pig was noisy at feeding time about 6:30 am and 6 pm. Roosters of course were crowing at first daylight. Roosters crowing at sunrise is part of the charm and character of the Philippines.

I saw no bugs inside my room at the Big Creek Mansion. This is another plus of the Big Creek Mansion. I saw a lot of bugs especially ants in the other hotels at much higher prices. There was smoke in the garden area. While we ate breakfast the first day. Which I suspect came from a neighbor's fire, while cooking breakfast. It was a temporary problem. That was resolved when the wind changed direction.

One of the things that makes the Big Creek Mansion stand out from other hotels. Is that it has a large ice maker and free ice to the guests. This is the first time I have seen this in the Philippines. Even at the Marriott they would bring you a little bucket of ice for your drinks, but there was no ice maker for the guests to use. Filipino restaurants are usually tight on ice for drinks. Often with only 3 small pieces of ice in the glass.

The Big Creek Mansion serves breakfast but not lunch or dinner. Which is okay with me. I am usually out and about for lunch and dinner anyway. I do not go on vacation to lay around a hotel room. I am at El Nido for the diving and island hopping. There is a dining area for breakfast, but we chose to eat breakfast at the table for our room.

There is cool looking wooden tables and chairs in front of each room. Some of the tables are to short and chairs to high. We used these a lot for just hanging out with friends and for breakfast. Unfortunately sometimes there are flies, but so is every where else. That serves food outside. Which is the standard for El Nido restaurants.

Since our room had been just recently remodeled. There were a couple of problems like the bottom hinge on the bath room door was not connected and a pair of vise grips were used for a bathroom door handle on the inside. On the outside where there was once a globe type handle. There was sharp and jagged sheet metal. That scratched my waist, torn my shirt and during a power outage cut my arm. An after thought I should have wrapped the jagged door handle in a rag or taped it up. My dive buddy’s room also had jagged metal for a bath room door handle. I brought this to the attention of the hotel and I was told a new door was on order. There were missing covers for electrical switches in the bathroom.

The 4 speed ceiling fan worked great in my room, but did not work in my dive buddy’s room. There was was a mirror at a desk in the room, but the bath room did not have a mirror.

There are 6 different light switches on the wall next to the front door. One of these is for a green light that surrounds the recessed ceiling for the ceiling fan. I really liked this green light for a night light. It provides enough light for those. Who cannot sleep without a light on or are afraid of the dark. Yet does not disturb those of us. That cannot sleep with a light on.

Another thing that stands out about the Big Creek Mansion rooms is the amount of electrical outlets. There is 9 boxes with 21 electrical outlets inside my room. There is also a electrical outlet located at the table outside of the room overlooking the garden area. There is also a electrical outlet on the balcony with a desk. Electrical outlets is something, taken for granted by most Western travelers. Many Filipino hotels have only one electrical box and 2 outlets. If there is a TV and fan in the room. That leaves no electrical outlets for the guest.

I travel with a 220 volt extension cord with 4 outlets for that reason. In today’s world of rechargeable batteries for cell phones, Ipods, Ipads, laptops, digital cameras, portable fans, etc. There is a need for more then one electrical outlet. Of all the hotels in the Philippines I have stayed at over the years from 1 star to 5 star. The Big Creek Mansion has the most electrical outlets.

In El Nido there is daily power outages from 6 am to 2 pm. It gets much worse. One day the power was out from 6am to about 3:40 pm. The power came back on at 3:40pm only to stop again about 6:40pm. The Big Creek Mansion had a small gas generator. The hotel employees strung extension cords and lights and fans for the rooms. The power came back on at 10:40pm.

If the Big Creek Mansion maintains its good prices following construction. If it will add WiFi. If it will get a back up diesel generator big enough to supply its needs. It will be one of the best deals in the Philippines. When I go back to El Nido, I will stay there again. Please note, this is a construction area. I did not see any work going on. While I was there. The first floor was done and was very nice. From my room you would not know. There was any construction going on. Unless you opened the back door to the balcony. Refer to my photos.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

This place, is a waste of time and money.
The "hotel" is basically an unfinished construction site overlooking an abandoned field with chickens and pigs which provides constant noise and bad smell, you will not e able to sleep early and impossible to wake up late
Rooms are not finished, with missing shower curtains, missing mirrors and missing power sockets (dangerous for kids, exposed power lines), water heaters are not working well, water pressure is terrible.
The "communal garden" is being used by big creek mansion to dry the laundry, breakfast is simple and tasteless.
Not even 1 good thing I can think about after staying there for 4 nights !
Extreme disappointment that ruined everything we were hopin for at El Nido, please do not do that mistake.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Big Creek Mansion? Share your experiences!