“Good place to stay in El Nido” 3 of 5 stars

Rosanna's Pension
Hama St. Brgy Masagana, El Nido, Palawan Island, Philippines   |
Ranked #17 of 54 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
Quezon City
“Good place to stay in El Nido”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in Rosanna's mid June 2013. The room we stayed in was big enough to accommodate 3 people, maybe 4. The beds were comfortable enough. The toilet and the washstand were cute. The bathroom and the place were clean. If you've read the other reviews here, you'd know that electricity in El NIdo is from 2pm to 6am. It will be good if your hotel has a generator. This one does. However, their generator is not enough to keep the aircon going.

With regard to location, the hotel has two (soon to be 3) buildings. One faces the sea and the other is across the street. Of course the seafront one is more expensive but I believe the view is well worth it.

While Rosanna's may have used to serve food, they don't anymore.

One thing I like about this place is that the staff, including Rosanna, are friendly. While we were there, one guest was complaining that no water was coming out of their room's faucet. Rosanna let that guest and his party take showers in another unoccupied room while they repaired the one in the guest's room.

One thing that marred my stay there was that our ceiling was leaking, due to heavy rains earlier that day. They weer not able to clear the puddles in the viewdeck above us so the water seeped thru the concrete. But I think plans are underway to renovate the building we stayed in.
Overall, our stay here was pleasant.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room that faces the sea!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arrived in El Nido on the 19 around 3 pm and as I was passing by the small town, most of the hotels, lodges and Inn had a hand-written sign: Sorry, we are full.

So I a solo traveler and I didn't want to have to stay in any doggy room. So for Php 2,500 a night I had a room for four people, for one... for 2 nights. Does not include breakfast.

The cottage is right on the beach, the sound of the waves... it has a lot of potential but since in El Nido they have shortage of electricity... it runs only from 2pm till 6 am. So the room is so dark I could see anything in the bathroom.
I didn't buy candle because I was there only 2 nights.

This is a OK stay, if you want to be left alone type of experience. The room is very basic..

If I had a choice of smaller, brighter clean room I wouldn't have stayed there. But keep in mind I was a solo traveler. I am sure if you are a group staying there it could be fun and the scenery is really beautiful.

I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Get candles or torches, the rooms are dark and lighting are dim where the electricity is running.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It was raining really hard when we arrived EL Nido. We were very unlucky with our two nights stay because it was stormy and was blackout (no electricity all over the place). So yes we never experienced the electricity of the hotel but still paid 3500 per night. (not their fault but we are just really unlucky I think).. Even it was blackout some places in EL nido got generators though I am not sure if Rosanna got one because I heard that the aircon next door was working.. It was so dark at night that it was so impossible to see anything!!! We used our cellphones to manage to go downstairs and ask for a candle. Yes they provided us candle-"ä 1 inch long candle that can last for 5minutes".. Same night my Mom got bitten by a mice or rat that her finger was just suddenly bleeding after she felt a puncture while she was sleeping!! towels they provided smells like crap.. Never ever we will stay in this place again. You will find more safer, cleaner, and cheaper room than this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ho Chi Minh city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

There is not a lot of great midrange hotel options to choose from in El Nido. There are a lot dank, musty Pensions/Guesthouses or high end private places on islands. We stayed in a clean beach front room. The room was quite large and had a balcony overlooking the beach. The staff were shy but very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacloban, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

we arrived at el nido around 5pm, and we still didnt have any hotel to stay. luckily, the tour operator suggested that we stayed at Rosanna Cottages. but since we want our vacation to be memorable, we also looked for other resorts with beachfront. In the end, we ended up booking for a room at Rosannas. The room is clean and cool. But the view overlooking el nido is breathtaking. the staff are polite and helpful. when you need anything you just ask them. Also we were able to reserve our return trip to Puerto Princesa at a discounted rate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at a time where all of El Nido was fully booked (around new years eve). Luckily we booked in advance. Although the room was not cheap (2100 pesos for 3 persons) it was worth it: we got a very big room with an almost equally big balcony with comfy chairs. A decent hot shower, proper AC and little noise even though our room was on the side of the street. The breakfast that came included in the price was simple but okay. Service was fine, but not very friendly. Still: recommendable.

• Stayed December 2012
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I spent at Rosanna's Cottages 5 nights with my friends recently during our trip to Philippines and we are very satisfied with that place. Cottages are located in 2 buildings in the town center - one at the beach and second behind the street , but distance to the beach is like 30 seconds walk ;). We had cottages in "street" building and they were perfect - big beds and balconies (my room nr 14 was with amazing big balcony overlooking street and palm tree and we used to have breakfasts there for our 8 persons group). Each room has also aircondition and fan, but you have to remember that from 6 am till 2 pm there is not electricity at whole El Nido. Also WI FI is available but is limited to some rooms and corridor at ground level.
For breakfast you have choice for pancake (delicious) with coffee/tea or continental , so eggs, tosts with coffee/tea - everything served in your balcony. Rosanna was very friendly and helpfull helping us with islands hoping and other things.
Generally great stay and place. As the new 2 buildings are under construction in neighbour proximity be aware of works, but it doesn;t disturb our vacations at all ;)

Room Tip: room nr 14 at non beach building - corner room with big windows and huge balcony ;)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Rosanna's Pension? Share your experiences!