“Close to paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ca-alan Beach, El Nido, Palawan Island EN234, Philippines   |
Ranked #11 of 54 Specialty Lodging in El Nido
“Close to paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed almost a month over christmas in one of the seafront cottages. It was the most fantastic holiday we ever had !! Kevin and Rose and the staff where so fantastic, nice, friendly and service minded ! And Captain Pitong that took as around in his boat - what a wonderful person ! When we left to go back to Sweden, it was with tears in our eyes !! We miss Golden Cottages and hope to be back soon.
Family Springfeldt (2 adults 2 teenagers)
Stockholm

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Golden Monkey. It was a nice getaway, with a spectular view and very clean rooms. The food was delicious and varied, they were always happy to cook special dishes.
The service was efficient and polite, I would definately recommend the massages.
They can also organize boat trips and other excursions for a decent price.
My favourite thing about the Golden Monkey however are the monkeys that Rose and Kevin have rescued...also mustn't forget Betty and Brutus :-D their two charming dogs :)))))))

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Golden Monkey for 12 days in March. The leafy shaded grounds are really spectacular, and exude a natural charm that can be appreciated for many a lazy afternoon. The monkeys (for which the cottages are named) also provide hours of cheeky entertainment! The front of the property boasts an impressive vista, so be sure to book into one of the beach front cottages to best enjoy it.
The cottages themselves are quaint and clean, with modern toilets and simple furnishings. I found them charming and cosy, but spent most of my time relaxing either on the spacious verandas or private beach front.
The food and service was top-notch, better than I would have expected from such a small enterprise. The breakfasts in particular were delicious, and I will never forget our bacon pancakes on the beach!
In short, it was a trip my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed, and Kevin and Rose were our perfect hosts! We can't wait to see them again soon!

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at Golden Monkey Cottages for 4 nights in May 2012. I was lucky to be in one of the 2 seafront cottages that have its own veranda with a small table, chairs a hammock and spectacular seaview. The place was for me an island of tranquillity. Just perfect!

The cottages are clean, simple and comfortable. There is no air conditioning, but I found a fan quite adequate. Due to lack of local infrastructure, power supply, hot water and WLAN were only available between around 3pm and 6am (in my case, there was no hot water on 2 days, which was however compensated in view of the other benefits of the place).

The Golden Monkey is a short walk from El Nido town over a small path passing by the local cemetery. You will need a torch at night. This walk made me a bit nervous the first night, but it turned out to be quite pleasant the following days. There is no sand beach directly in front of Golden Monkey, it can however be reached in a short walk (5 min) towards the north of the beach.

Overall, the Golden Monkey is a charming, peaceful retreat with stunning sea views. The place was clean and well managed, the staff were very friendly. I had a wonderful stay and I hope to return one day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed at Golden Monkey Cottages for 4 nights in March 2012. They have 8 cottages on a small lot by the water. Four cottages have a spectacular view from their spacious deck , but there is no real advantage to the garden cottages which are located within a very average courtyard. Even-though we were by the sea, it can get very hot unless there is a breeze blowing. The cottages are not air conditioned but are equipped with a single fan. Electricity is a problem for this area of El Nido, and for Golden Monkey in particular.The electrical supply from the city goes up and down during the day . Golden Monkey has a generator but the owner appears to be reluctant to use it (to save gas??). We often were left with NO LIGHT, and no fan day or night.We inform the owner who promptly blamed the city, ( our next door hotel had no problem using the generator it seems) and it was particularly frustrating to be in the dark ,with no fan while the owner's house was fully lit on two floors! (solar energy).We could not connect on Golden Monkey WIFI although we were told that it was on. We easily connected WIFI in most places in El Nido. I do not know what the issue was at the Golden Monkey, the ''grumpy'' owner basically said that it was our problem. For the price we paid, 3000Pesos, one would expect lights and ventilator if not A/C, and small details such as the smallest bar soap in the bathroom. We were charged extra for changing our wet towels (very hard to dry in the room) , we were told that we had to use them 2-3 days before being replace.WOW! Unless you are prepared to pay 2500/3000pesos a night for a spectacular view, and agree to live on a very few hours with electricity per day...I would suggest to check other places in El Nido that offers the same view of the water, have more services, and even A/C at cheaper rates. It is very unfortunate to have such a potentially great place but to run it so cheaply.The staff were very nice, they work hard and long hours. I will rate the service poor, not for the staff but for the services offered at this place.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a beach cottage...after you read the review!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Golden monkey's quaint little cottages are an absolute delight. Clean, airy and well-appointed, they are simple and unfussy in their furnishings. I found the bedside lamp a rare treat in the Philippines. There is no air conditioning, but a fan is quite adequate for a comfortable night's sleep. A room is a room, and these are functional and comfortable, but where these unassuming little cottages excel is in their outside spaces. Each of the seafront cottages has its own veranda looking out over the impressive promontory of Cadlao Island. Screened for privacy by plenty of greenery and fitted with a small table and chairs and a hammock, the veranda of cottage 2 particularly is a perfect place to while away a lazy day. My cottage was for me, truly a little island of tranquillity. Utterly perfect.

As previous reviews have noted, The Golden Monkey is a short walk from the main town over a slightly uneven dirt road that passes by the local cemetery. You will need a torch at night. For the superstitious, the lame and the lazy, this may prove insufferable, for anyone else it's really quite a pleasant walk. The beach is also a short walk along the seafront to a sandbar.

The power supply and wireless connection can be somewhat haphazard. I understand that this is due to a lack of local infrastructure, but The Golden Monkey has its own generator which is run in the evenings. Unlimited drinking water is supplied without charge and the additional breakfasts are excellent.

In response to the earlier review that complains of 'filthy' sheets and bugs: my room was cleaned and bed made daily. If you will vacation on the margins of nature, you can very well expect that nature will show little regard for the arbitrary borders you draw. I had a praying mantis come in one evening, an experience I found both fascinating and unnerving and one of the highlights of choosing to stay in an apartment that is not hermetically sealed. If you really can't stand a few bugs, stay in one of the hotels in town.

The Golden Monkey is a charming, peaceful retreat with an otherworldly atmosphere and absolutely stunning sea views. I had a wonderful stay and I hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

after searching through literally every beachfront accomodation, we found the golden monkey resort located next bay from el nido town. 10min walking distance, passing the cemetary and through the local village. Rose, one of the owners, was very nice and helpful. our rooms were superclean and very comfortable. Couldn´t get any better for this price!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Golden Monkey Cottages? Share your experiences!