“Fabulous resort, Friendly Staff and Breath taking views” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort
Puerto Galera, Mindoro 5203, Philippines   |
Ranked #13 of 50 hotels in Puerto Galera
Pickering, Canada
“Fabulous resort, Friendly Staff and Breath taking views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Me, my wife and our 1.5 years old son stayed in this resort for two weeks and all of us enjoyed the peaceful environment, cleanliness and top notch service. This was my first trip to Philippines and I was impressed by the fast and efficient service at the resort. All the staff are very friendly and helpful and they will attend to your needs right away. There was variety of food on the restaurant menu from local filipino dishes to european treats. Lez at the bar is very helpful and always has smile on his face. My son enjoyed the beach very much and he played with the sand and swam in the waters.
The area where the resort is located is very much peaceful and away from noisy and crowded urban centres. You can truly unwind yourself by having a drink on the beach and listening to the sound of the waves breaking on the shore.
The swimming pool is fantastic and it has a deep and shallow areas. Shallow area is great for water polo activities and the deep end is often used for Scuba Diving training.
There is a scuba diving centre on the resort grounds and you can learn the basics of diving here and then challenge yourself at the ocean. There are frequent diving lessons by the masters.
Also there are paddle boats and canoes available if you would like to wander around the resort and get a better view of the shore line.
Also there is a spa on the grounds where you can treat yourself with a full body massage.
My wife went back there again this last February. Unfortunately I could not go with her to enjoy the great time at the resort but I heard all the good things from her about this resort again.
I will definitely go back there when I am in the Philippines next time.
Lexy and all the staff, keep up the good work and all the best.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the bar/restaurant are smaller and cheaper but more convenient for frequent access t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

How to get there - I know there are several buses taking you to the pier for the ferry going to Puerto Galera in Makati. The easiest way (for me) is to use the bus and ferry service provided by SI-Kat. Go to Citystate Tower Hotel in Malate. They have their office there. Each way costs P700. They have one bus going there each day at around 8:30am. Write to the hotel before you go and the hotel would provide pick up service at Muelle Pier.

Service at the hotel - Outstanding service. Before you actually ask for any help, they would have it done for you. All the staff there are attentive and friendly. Every day they had my room cleaned when I had my breakfast.

Environment - nice, quiet and beautiful. Most of the rooms have ocean view. Make sure you book a room in the NEW WING. The hotel is on Aninuan Beach. The sand is not as great as in White Beach in Puerto Galera and the White Beach in Boracay but it is much quieter than the White Beach which is 5 to 10 minutes away.

Food - The food tastes Filipino and they are a bit expensive if compared with the White Beach. However I would not recommend any restaurants on the White Beach as they are so many dogs waiting to be fed and the place is a bit disorganised. For the price of food provided by a resort, I personally found it reasonable. The taste is good too. It didn't cost me that much provided that I had almost all my meals in the resort plus many bottles of red and white wine.

Activities - The snorkeling site is just right outside on the beach. The mask can be rented at the resort. A poor swimmer like me had snorkelled several times in a life vest. The hotel provides free canoes. They provide the diving course too.

In conclusion, this is the best resort I have ever stayed in the Philippines. I wish to return soon.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the New Wing
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Beautiful well kept beach, great resort topped by super friendly service from reception accommodating last minute booking (Thanks Lez), to service in restaurant and beach (even moving the umbrella to ensure constant shade), and fantastic dive experience (Thanks Edgar)

Resort highlights:
- Clean and comfortable rooms with view to the ocean
- Cool and relaxing infinity pool
- Designer beach furniture adds high end touch

Thanks for a great stay, sure to come back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The location of this resort is perfect. It is peaceful, clean, private and yet a 5 min tricycle away from the night life. We requested for a room in the new modern wing which was very spacious and clean. The view of the sea and the landscape from our huge balcony was awesome. The waters of Puerto Galera is clear and bright blue. The shoreline by the resort is good for swimming and snorkeling. We were able to see a variety of fish and a sea turtle right in front. The service is great from reservations to departure. Lez was responsive with my email inquiries. The staff at the resort were alert, friendly and proactive in attending to our needs. They made every effort to make sure we were satisfied with what ever the request may be. One afternoon, my husband and I fell asleep on the lounge chairs and when we woke up we were surrounded by beach umbrellas provided by the staff to protect us from the sun and keep us sleeping under the shade. They knew the needs of their guests and were very pleasant each time they provided us with assistance. They paid attention to detail. I needed to charge my iPod and Lez offered his speakers for me to use. We felt very comfortable and at home here.

The resort had a great dive shop which we saw some of the guests made use of for their lessons. While we were there, they were setting up a gym with new equipment. It would be nice to workout on machines facing the ocean.
The breakfast choices were good but limited. Coming form abroad, we craved for good Filipino food which were also limited. However, the pizzas were great!
On sleep comfort, the beds were good, however, I would suggest for the management to add pillows. Additional pillows would add comfort especially if you do some reading in bed. Our room was kept clean all the time. The lighting at the bathroom could be made brighter since there are no windows there.
Even if we did not arrange for transportation transfers with our reservations, the management made sure we got there safely and gave us options for our departure from the resort. We found this very helpful especially this was our first time at Puerto Galera.
My husband and I needed a place to escape for a few days before we headed back home to winter in the US and staying at Sunset at Aninuan was just perfect for us. We plan to bring the children here next visit to the Philippines. Thank you to the staff at Aninuan especially to Lez, Shirley and Nilo!!!

Room Tip: For spacious rooms and newer interiors, choose rooms at the new wing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Eze, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hello,
we had a great time at the Aninuan Beach resort. We were travelling with 5 kids between 8 months and 5 years old so one can imagine that it was not that easy. Everyone in the resort was very helpful. We were staying in the new wing wth the brand new rooms. They are very spacious, clean and have a balcony with view on the sea. Very nice. The bathrooms are a little bit small though. The beds are confortable and big. In some rooms you have a fridge. The pool also was nice and it was nice snorkeling in the sea although you have to be carefull for the jellyfish. The food was good, portions not too big though. The basic breakfast is ok, not too generous though, 2 slices of bread, 1 fruit, 1 hot drink...you can pay and add omelette or anything you like. They have beach toys for the kids.
What we like was that it was not a very big resort, the staff is full of consideration and tries to make your stay as good as possible.
A hotel I would definitely recommand and go back too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is not shiny, here are not marble floors or luxurious furniture. What is important is that this hotel is very nice, perfectly tidy, ideal for relaxing and also has an exclusive cuisine. All the food that we had was excellent. Also important is the fact that the staff is very helpful and will arrange everything to your satisfaction. Mindoro Island is not as popular for tourists like Cebu or Boracay, but from my own experience I have to say that it is wonderful place. Beautiful scenery, azure sea, and friendly people. And on the beaches is only a few tourists. Hotel also has a diving center, which I highly recommend it. Around the hotel you can snorkel but better is a trip to Coral Gardens - snorkeling paradise. Other excursions offered by the hotel are also super. Near the hotel is great Ponderosa golf course, located in the hills. Of Ponderosa it is not only luxurious view of the bay of Puerto Galera but this is perfect place to play golf in tropical nature. I'm sure that the holiday in this hotel will be unforgettable for you. As well as for us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our third time to stay at Sunset. It will not be our last. My wife and I have never felt more at home in a resort. The fine quality of rooms and food were up to their usual standards. It is the people at Sunset that make the real difference. Every guest is treated as family by every member of the staff. We only stayed 3 days this time which was not enough, though last time 7 days did not seem like enough.

The scuba shop this time was not crowded (last time I had my two children taking open water and advanced) so the instructor and I was able to make four excellent dives together.

I am never more relaxed or more on vacation than when at Sunset.

Room Tip: Every room has a good view but the old wing is a bit rustic. You might need to book a few months i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!