“First Class Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Galera
ca
“First Class Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Mermaid delivers a high standard of service and amenities.

All the staff is exceptional. The reception girls took care of organizing last minute transportation back to Manila after the port had been closed for 2 days. I left it in there hands and they delivered. The wait staff in the open air restaurant offers awesome service and the food is some of the best you will find in Sabang but still reasonable in price.

The room was spotless and set up well. Air conditioning is the newer split design quiet unit and worked great. Nice view, marble bathroom, stocked fridge with pricing that allows use. Room cleaning always cleaned around my schedule and provided any extras needed.

Spending 2 weeks in Sabang the up grade to Mermaid for the second week really made the trip.

I also used Mermaid dive shop. Its located right on the water about a 2 minute walk from the room. Very nice setup wish I could have spent more time with them. Weather went bad for a couple of days but they still managed get in One day for me. Last shop to go out and the best boat on the beach. Thanks Rubi!

Can't wait to go back and next trip I'll stay at Mermaid for the complete stay.

Mmtndiver

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Mermaid. Very helpfull staff, an excellent restuarant and what must be the perfect position for the many attractions on offer. Close enough to the action, but far away enough to be fairly quiet and secluded. Our room was very spacious and comforable with good fittings and fixtures. Pillows from hell...............

Room Tip: The upper rooms are more comfortable and really try to get a room off the busy main road>
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our suite room was very spacious with modern design and fittings. The hotel was clean and professionally run with friendly staff. The location is on a steep hill coming out of Sabang beach with a rocky ride to town on the poorly maintained (sorry never maintained) road. The night life is very handy and also easy to get to other parts of Puerto Galera. Well worth staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Binan City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

i dont know how to start... but i had a really nice time staying at this hotel.....the staffs were all great especially Biffen.... the Owner is awesome... me and my friend were trapped at the port because we arrived late. so instead of staying at the hotel for 2 days..we spent the first night staying in a motel close to batangas port.. then the following day we stayed at the hotel.... we were enjoying the pool when one of the staffs approached us and she said that the owner said since we were trapped we can stay another night for free.. which is really amazing. the owner is really kind.. and i will really recommend this hotel to all of my friends. although i didnt get the chance to see the white beach area because it a bit far.. but this hotel is just a 5 minute walk to the water..... nightlife is good although i didnt enjoy it that much. over all this 101% recommended! and i'm planning of going back probably this november or december........

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

the staff cannot do enough for you, the room was so clean very comfortable, ideal location just away from the main strip of bars, its the second time that i have stayed here now and i would recomend it to anybody

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Torbin, the owner went out of his way to help make this a great spot for me and my wheelchair. While it wasn't without challenges, they were more than willing to try anything to make our stay great.

As far as I can tell there are 3 hotels that you can access with a wheelchair in Sebang and this is the best of the three. While the bathroom was not completely accessible, they are going to remodel one room to make it so. How is that for service? The pool is on a different level but can be accessed with help using a service ramp. Rooms, reception, bar and restaurant are all very easy to get to. The entry to the hotel is up the main road and you may require assistance to get your chair up the hill. I simply hired a 'Man Friday' for the week to assist me with anything out of my grasp.

Like I said, the staff went out of their way to make our stay as good as possible. We could even have stayed in the suite upstairs if we wanted and they would have helped me up and down the stairs every day. However, the room we had on the main floor was just fine.

Sebang and Peurto Gelara are not destinations for the faint hearted wheelchair traveler as you will need to be carried onto the ferry across the gangplank and your chair and bags carried separately. Be prepared to tip everyone who helped but make sure you only get the help you need. Definately doable with an open mind to being man handled :) The trip from Manila is about 1.5 hours and is easiest done in a private car (about $50USD). There are other methods including bus and Jeepney which you may want to try... They are a lot cheaper. On the island you can get around using Jeepney buses. They will help you on and squeeze your chair in if it fits.

The Mermaid dive facility was more than helpful when I wanted to go diving. I have a PADI open water dive certification and after doing a quick refresher (It had been 5-6 years since my last dive) I was back in the water and seeing the most amazing underwater playground I have ever been too. I even completed two adventure dives, one for DPV (Divers Powered Vehicle) so I could use a scooter on all my dives and one night dive. The staff made this process very easy for me and renting the DPV is cheap and makes diving a breeze for me. (I am a T12 paraplegic).

The best thing here is to talk to the staff and the owner and describe your needs and they will likely come up with some great solutions.

All in all, if you want an adventure, and you are an intrepid wheelchair traveler who is interested in diving and visiting a very interesting and economical place I highly recommend Sebang and the Mermaid Resort

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We were four couples and all were extremely happy with this lovely resort. Great food, atmosphere, and pool area. The service was top notch with very clean rooms and a great balcony to sit out on and enjoy a cool one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mermaid Resort? Share your experiences!