“Amazing diving and incredible staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 19 Activities in Puerto Galera
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Puerto Galera's Boutique Dive Operation- a family run business for the best in personal service. With over 20 years and 20,000 dives experience in Puerto Galera and the highest rated 5 Star TDI / SDI Instructor Training facility, we are sure to take care of every level of diver. Our services include full dive vacation packages of private transfers, excellent accommodation in our partner resorts, diving, dive courses and meals at Hemingway's Restaurant. Dive are keep fun and enjoyable with just 6 divers per group on board our custom made dive boats. We dive at least 4 times daily, with more than 30 dive sites within 15 minutes of the dive center. All our dives are professionally guided and include good briefings and slow, enjoyable dives . Learn to dive starting with PADI Discover Scuba Diving / Open Water courses all the up to Advanced Trimix diver and TDI Tech Instructor courses. The Frontier Scuba Team loves to dive and show you the best of Philippines diving. Our trips are safe, fun, friendly and professional. Come Join The Fun !
San Diego, California
“Amazing diving and incredible staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been living in Hong Kong now for 3 years and I have wanted to do my Open Water diving certification for a long time now. Many of my coworkers visit Puerto Galera for diving several times a year and have been diving with Frontier Scuba for the last 8 years. I love the ocean but I was a bit scared to give diving a try. My friends always showed me such amazing photos that I finally had enough and decided to see for myself.

After begging for months, I finally convinced my girlfriend who is scared of everything in the water to do her Open Water with me also. Several of my friends have done courses over the years with the owner Rick and his instructor Corey. Rick was so great at handling our questions and booking us transfers and accommodation from the airport. He responded immediately which is very rare in Asia :)

When we arrived Corey greeted us at the ferry pier and showed us to our rooms which was next door to the dive shop. We started our course that same afternoon. Corey explained the breakdown of the course schedule and calmed my girlfriend's irrational fears. He told her not to worry because he always carries shark repellent :) Over the next three days we did waterskills in the pool, classroom lessons, and 4 open water dives. Corey was very patient with us and allowed us to move at our own pace. He always kept up laughing and made the course so much fun! We had such an amazing time and my girlfriend is now hooked on diving and cannot wait to go back and dive again with Frontier. The rest of the staff was so friendly and helpful also! They carried our tanks on and off the boat and made things so easy for us. We want to thank everyone at Frontier for an amazing experience! We will be going back in April to do our Advanced Open Water course. See you soon!

Visited February 2013

Ibiza, Spain
“Open water experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend were in the Philippines and had learning to dive on our list of things to do, so when we arrived in Sabang, Puerta Galera we felt like this was a good place to do it, and we were completely right! We had a look in a few of the dive shops, but Frontier Scuba stood at as very friendly, helpful and professional on all fronts. We did the Open Water certification with Corey, who was really patient and helpful, and even good to go out with for a beer afterwards!
We can not thank him enough for his help, and the other guys from the shop, we will definately be going back for more diving with Frontier Scuba.
We have now dived in 4 areas in the Philippines and Sabang has stood out as being the most colourful and diverse area, even just in the 'beginner' areas! We look forward to going back, maybe for the advanced course!

Visited January 2013
ManilaRick, Owner at Frontier Scuba, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi. Thanks for the nice review - Corey had a great time teaching you and his job was made easy with a good student ! Well done and welcome to the world-wide fraternity of divers. Hope to see you back here soon. We're not going anywhere and the diving will be as good as ever !
Tokyo, Japan
“Great diving centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've been diving with the team at Frontier a number of times after first discovering them in 2004. Whilst Sabang has changed a lot in that time, the team at Frontier have stayed consistently good with a group of first rate instructors and divemasters. I've done a number of courses there as well as weekends of fun diving and every time the guides were enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Rick runs a tight ship and the place is super-clean, efficient and uses quality dive-gear. Any questions you have before you arrive will be answered promptly and all accommodation and transfers can be arranged too.

Overall highly recommended.

Visited January 2013
Thanks for the nice review ! Looking forward to your next trip back. Cheers
Gwangju, South Korea
“Great experience for a first-time diver!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

When a friend and I decided we wanted to get our open-water diving certifications, we opted to visit the Philippines since we'd heard the diving there was amazing. I had sent a couple inquires to various dive shops and read numerous reviews when I stumbled across Frontier Scuba. Rick responded promptly to my questions about the shop, scuba in general, travel to the Philippines, and accommodations. He also helped arrange an airport pick-up, a service that was much appreciated and lowered the stress of getting to Sabang.

Our dive instructor, Corey, met us at the pier and showed us to our hotel. Over the next 3 days, we learned the basics of scuba from Corey and after a few sessions in the practice pool, we were actually diving! Corey was extremely knowledgeable and patient. I felt very safe diving with him, which in turn improved my confidence in the water. He also kept us laughing and made the sometimes laborious process of taking certification quizzes and watching videos more enjoyable. The rest of the staff was friendly and welcoming also, along with the other divers at the shop (all of whom were more experienced than my friend and me).

I highly recommend Frontier Scuba as an encouraging place to learn to dive for any other newbies. I want to go back!

Visited October 2012
Grafton Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Tech Training, Recreational Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

In Jun 2008 I decided that I wanted to expand my diving knowledge and decided to go down the Technical Diving route. A good friend had recently visited the Philippines and suggested that I consider doing my Tech Diving courses there. I emailed eight dive shops from various locations in the Philippines and received replies from three.

Two of the three wanted me to do courses that I wasn't interested in, Frontier Scuba replied immediately with prices, suggestions on not pushing my training too fast, and info on how to get to Sabang Beach and places to stay.

I was very impressed that Rick didn't try to push me into extra courses, in fact it was the opposite. He would only let me to do Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures first and then make an assessment of my progress before deciding if I was ready for more training. On that first trip I ended up doing the Extended Range course as well, so I must have satisfied Rick's high standards.

Rick doesn't give qualifications away, you have to earn them, so if you are looking for an easy ride to tech qualifications don't choose this shop. When you get your cards you know you have EARNED them. I have to say he is a hard taskmaster but I know if something ever goes pear shaped all that hard training could save my life.

Unlike Australia you don't have to wait for extra people to "fill up" a course. All my courses have been one on one and timed to match my vacation. Believe me, this is the way to do courses, individual training when YOU want to do it, in beautiful warm water, at no extra cost!

I returned to Sabang in Nov 2008 and finished my formal Tech training, doing my TDI Advanced Trimix course with Frontier Scuba.

Next week I will be leaving on my 8th trip to Sabang Beach. On each trip I brush up my tech skills with Rick and also do some fun recreational diving. I have dived with Frontier on each visit and have to say it is one of the happiest, friendliest dive shops I have visited. The staff are like family and it is obvious that they are happy employees.

I have taken three of my diving buddies do recreational diving with Frontier and all of them have found the experience very rewarding. All have said that Harry Ambong is one of the best DM guides they have dived with.

I would unreservedly recommend Frontier Scuba to all.

Visited June 2012