“Nice place to stay, but some caveats” 3 of 5 stars

Tropicana Castle Resort
Sabang Beach, Puerto Galera, Mindoro 5203, Philippines   |
Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Des Plaines, Illinois
“Nice place to stay, but some caveats”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My second visit to Sabang in Puerto Galera. After considerable searching, I decided to stay at Tropicana, I emailed the hotel directly to book and they wanted 5.5% surcharge on credit cards, so I booked thru Agoda without the premium.

Paul the owner is a a nice and helpful person. He was able to arrange a private van to transport me from Manila to Batangas Ferry Terminal. Hotel staff picked me up at Sabang on arrival, but I had to pay the porters to carry my baggage to the hotel. It is a 3-5 min walk from jetty to hotel.

I had a King Suite. Nice room, beautiful bathroom. TV is a 20" tube Standard Def. Bed is 4-poster King size bed. There is a mini refrigerator in the TV armoire. Bonus was they have an Internet Cable connection in the room, so I could hook up my personal router. There is a small Window type Air Conditioner in the room, which does an poor to average job in keeping the room cool.
Some of the towels are shredded and have been patched up. Soap are small slivers. No Shampoo. So bring your own soap and Shampoo.

The Staff if good and helpful. Food is passable. There is a pool on the 2nd floor. The Scuba Shop is not the best, though their Dive Master, Johnee, was very accommodating. The boat they used is a tiny row boat with an outboard motor. It does have a ladder though. The engine was constantly quitting. They do carry you gear to the boat. There is no drinking water on the boat, so take your own water if you need it. I did a few drift dives, and the boat was never able to follow our buoy. Every time on surfacing, we ended up waiting 5+ minutes for the boat to show up. The Hotel website also falsely advertises 'Free Nitrox' which I was told is extra charge.

Street in front of hotel can be noisy from motorcycles all day and late night. The hotel has a generator, but will NOT power the elevator (I was on the 4th floor). The stairs are steep and awkward to climb. I recommend getting a room in front of the pool on the 1st floor. The Internet quits every 5-10 minutes.

I ended up eating and drinking at the Big Apple Bar most of the time.. bigger, better wi-fi, more people and crowded. Beside, the Tropicana Restaurant closes by 10:30-11pm. We were in the middle of a meal and I asked for a soup and I was told the kitchen was closed! Big Apple bard & Restr. is open 24 hrs. There is a Sabang Restaurant (approx.100 meters/yards away) has good food at very reasonable prices. Try their Lomi Soup. A popular drink on the island is Mindoro Sling (local rum + pineapple juice + mango juice + sprite). Of course, Tropicana does not have it on their menu.

Room Tip: The hotel has a generator, but will NOT power the elevator (I was on the 4th floor). The stairs are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Already had accommodation booked at Sabang when we saw Tropicana.. We went back, liked it and made reservation for next day!
Hotel is a crazy Austrian fantasy castle on a tropical island! Rooms are very spacious and comfortable with very nice en-suite bathroom.
Hotel was busy but public areas and pool did not feel crowded.
Excellent value for money and will stay there again.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs, try get rooms with patio.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Good points about this resort is that the place was really neat and beautiful, huge bed and spacious rooms. Now here comes the bad part we rented the suite room for 2 nights and we were expecting a bathtub like the ad specified and guess what there wasn't any! well we weren't gonna use it anyway. Another thing is the bad service some of the staff were rude and doesn't really care much about their guest well that's how i felt during my stay. May be because i'm a Filipino? well i'm a guest of the hotel just like any other guest staying there so at least be a little bit friendly. We booked our stay thinking that this was their website http://www.tropicanacastleresort.com but it was an agency i found out when we checked out. The complimentary breakfast is only available if you booked your stay directly trough them so make sure to contact them trough their site http://tropicana-resort.net/ there's no complimentary coffee so don't expect to much. No one informed us anything as soon as we arrived so you will need to ask every little thing about the places in the hotel. All and all the place is great but lacking on the service side if they can improve it. This will be an awesome hotel to stay at.

PS: The safety deposit box doesn't work and the door was really hard to open.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

It is a huge castle in the middle of jungle :) Everybody makes their own opinion but we felt really strange. Hotel is remarkable with its all "historical" details. Location is lively place with loads of restaurants and bars. I cant complaint about anything but next time we will choose more "cosy and warm" place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This place is really neat! I stayed here a few nights and even though I stayed in their standard room I was impressed. The Tropicana goes up the side of a mountain and is really beautiful. I recommend you make reservations and ask for a pool side room but they are all nice. The dive shop onsite is great as well. No matter where I stay I always use their dive shop. Just to be clear I didn't make reservations and they stay really busy. I'm traveling by myself and didn't want a suite room so I had to move across the street but continue to use their dive shop and would move back if I had the chance. :) The onsite restaurant serves a wonderful breakfast that was included with my room. Other than breakfast the restaurant isn't offering a huge selection but honestly they are very committed and the owner Paul is always available and ensuring things run smoothly for all. I didn't have to ask for anything but I knew if I asked Paul would have made it happen immediately.. that's just the kind of place this is.
I will definitely be back, making reservation this time but even without I will always stop by and ask for a room.

Room Tip: They have an elevator so don't be scared to ask for one of the higher floors for the view.. it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is easily teh best place in town. Fashionead after a mideval castle on the outside, it features all the luxury on the inside. marble baths, great pool, even an elevator to get to the higher rooms. And Paul, the owner, is always available for a friendly chat and help in PG. I've stayed at other places, but this is the only one I saty at now.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed here during Holy Week holidays for 2 nights on Apr. 5-7, 2012. Having stayed with some of the lower budget hotels in Sabang I was pleasantly surprised upon checking in. The receptionist was kind enough and even though we checked in around 10am, they immediately had a room for us (which was good after the chaos that is Holy Week travel). The room was big, with a big four poster, intricately carved king sized bed; very high ceiling with exposed wood beams; lots of wall sconces that made the room bright enough to read at night; and the bathroom was big as well. I didn't have a problem with the hot water, although be forewarned that for some reason rusty water comes out of the faucet at the beginning but clears up afterwards. Same with the toilet, rusty water comes out upon the first few flushes but gets clear again eventually. Not a big deal for me though.

The bed was a king size, with a very firm mattress but it wasn't uncomfortable to sleep on. The pillows were lacking, as there were only 2 normal pillows and 2 square throw pillows on the bed. The sheets and towels were always replaced. The aircon is located on the right side of the bed above the mirror however, no matter how you set the vent the air flow will always hit the bed so we ended up setting the temp pretty high. For guests from colder climates, this would be a great relief from the tropical heat though.

We stayed in room #32 on the third floor which opened out onto the mini garden with a small swing on the side. Very tranquil view and it's nice to step out in the morning and see a nice little garden instead of the usual concrete.

I didn't hear any of the music coming from the clubs down the street so that was good, and there's a great pizza place called Vesuvio that has exceptional pizza. It's actually homemade crust baked in a wood burning oven so it comes out not soggy despite the mound of toppings we had on the pie.

For the superstitious, the big mirror beside the bed didn't really bother me, but I'm mentioning it here anyway just in case someone with that particular concern wants the info.

The location is just up the main road from the pier where you get off the ferry from Batangas, you can't miss the big white castle :)

Room Tip: On the third floor, I noticed room #57 is right beside the elevator. This would be good for anyone...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Tropicana Castle Resort? Share your experiences!