“Breakfast for dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Filipino
ak
“Breakfast for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Although we did not stay in this very well-kept (at least from the lobby area's vantage point) lodge, we ate there everyday for several days. Their food was reliably tasty and enough to feed our larger than typical asian appetite and their serving staff was quite solicitous and gracious. There is a gate that shelters the lodgers from the rest of the town. The only thing we weren't too thrilled about was finding out that they were not welcoming of the local guides whom we wanted to invite to join us for supper. That time, we chose to eat somewhere else with our guides when we realized this.

Views from the terrace where we ate were beautiful especially when you catch the sunrise.

Visited June 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
“Great place to stay and eat in Banaue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

First, Sanafe is really a hotel with a restaurant and this review should be in the hotel section of TripAdvisor, not (just) the restaurant section.

I stayed at the Sanafe in early October 2012. Early October is not the best time to visit the Philippines since it is rainy season, but this little vacation was tacked on to a work assignment for me, so I went when I could.

The Sanafe is an unassuming place in a central location in the small town of Banaue in northern Luzon. The lobby and restaurant areas are clean, quaint, and comfortable. The room I had had an en suite bathroom with a truly hot shower (yes!) and comfortable beds. Spartan, but adequate. I was a little surprise there were no electrical outlets in the room for recharging my phone and iPad, there was no problem with recharging in the restaurant overnight. There is no wi-fi in the hotel but there is an Internet cafe right across the street.

The meals were reasonably priced, quite tasty (the beef adobo was very good), and the service was great. I don't travel for food, but this was very nice. The restaurant has an outdoor patio that has a stunning view (as much as I could see with the clouds).

The primary reason for my recommendation is that the owner practically adopted me during my short stay at the Sanafe. She helped arrange a guide for my walking tour of the rice fields (Jerry - use him if you go.) She wrote out how to catch the buses and jeepneys from Banaue back to Subic. She was just a lovely, accommodating person.

My biggest disappointment about Banaue had nothing to do with the hotel, but with the weather. Due to low clouds I did not get to see and photograph the panoramic rice terrace view and did not get to hike as much as I wanted.

I'd like to go back and when I do, I'll stay at the Sanafe.

• Visited October 2012