“Good Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Filipino, Spanish
Manila, Philippines
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I learned about Ambos Mundos while researching online. My friend drove us to Sta. Cruz, Manila to find the oldest restaurant in Manila built in 1888.

We stopped and asked questions for directions. We ended up circling around Recto Avenue and Tomas Mapua Street to get to Florentino Torres Street. There were a lot of no U-turn signs and no left turn signs. We had to go 2 blocks to go straight to Florentino Torres Street. When we got there it was a one way street, we went to Recto Avenue to turn right to go back to Florentino Torres Street.

I spotted an open pay parking lot and I told my friend to park there and we just walked to Florentino Street because we were not sure if there was a parking space in front of Ambos Mundos. We walked almost two blocks going to the restaurant. The place was dingy and I would suggest not to wear anything fancy that would attract attention because this place is notorious for muggers and snatchers.

As we entered the restaurant, two black boars greeted us by the door. Just like Wah Sun Panciteria (owned by the Leung family whose descendant is married to a Gaudinez); across the Street two black boars are placed by the entrance. According to my research the owners put them there for good luck.

I asked the waiter if we could go upstairs to be seated and he obliged. We were given a menu it contains Spanish, Filipino and Chinese cuisine. I ordered the asado rolls and arroz caldo and my friend ordered the pancit canton.

When our order came, the pancit was on a big plate good for 3 to 4 people for a regular size it costs around 240 pesos (5.69 USD) The 2 asado rolls were huge at 75 pesos (1.78 USD) each. The arroz caldo was also in a huge bowl good for 2 people at 129 pesos (3.06 USD) I must say that the arroz caldo was one of the best arroz caldo I’ve tasted. The asado rolls were very good too and the pancit canton was very tasty. Our total bill was 541 pesos ( 12.82 USD) which I find reasonable.

This gastronomic experience is unforgettable. If one is in search of history and good food in Manila, I would recommend Ambos Mundos.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Quezon City
“Not the real Ambos Mundos!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

The real Ambos Mundos Restaurant does not have any existing branch at this time. Loyal patrons would know the original location in Estero Cegado and Pedro Paterno, Quiapo, Manila.

The Florentino Torres Street resto is not affiliated to the rightful owners of Ambos Mundos Restaurant. I heard that they are finally opening one soon! :)

More on:

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Baguio, Philippines
“The Authentic Morcon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

If foodies think they have tasted morcon and have never been to this place, you are sorely mistaken. A taste of the sauce is nostalgic of dewey boulevard and melt in the mouth beef fillet is pure pleasure.

• Visited March 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manila, Philippines
“One of the oldest carinderia in MANILA.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011 via mobile

Thank GOD it's just a few blocks from my place. I love their sinigang, paella, and their unique crossover rice toppings. One should try this if visiting the Binondo-Sta.Cruz area. Klassik piney resto

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Mandaluyong, Philippines
“Sweet dishes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Me and my wife frequented the old place in P. Paterno St., during Fridays, back in the 70's. We asked around the said street and found out that the resto transferred around the Binondo area. I surfed the net to find the exact location.
We ordered the Paella and the Paella they served is an authentic one like they do in P. Paterno they've added too much sugar to enhanced the taste and without Spanish sausage.
For take home, we ordered Callos and we were disappointed when we opened it at home.
We tasted the dish and find that they've added cream and sugar and again without Spanish sausage. Instead they used chorizong macao. The dish should be named Callos ala Sun Wah.

Visited January 2011