“Great food. Servers need more training. Ignored by the Chef” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Savoy Bistro

Savoy Bistro
The East Asian Art Gallery | 8479 Kalayaan Avenue, Poblacion, Luzon, Philippines
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,072 of 6,642 Restaurants in Luzon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Makati, Philippines
“Great food. Servers need more training. Ignored by the Chef”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Date of Visit: Oct. 17, 2013 (07:30PM)

Likes:
-Food was no doubt one of the best I had. I had Foie Gras for my appetizer, Rib-Eye Steak as main dish and Cheese Board for dessert.
-Great ambience, there is this old stone house with a little bit of Asian and Greek feel to it.
-They play great music.
-Reasonably priced. We paid Php10,000 (around US$250) for 4 people. 4 appetizers, 4 steaks, 4 desserts, several drinks like beer and shakes.
-They have unusual food in the menu like Venison which my husbnd absolutely loved.

Dislikes:
-Had a bad tummy after, threw up twice but I think it's my bad. The meals I ordered were fatty, but good!
-It's in a not so classy location, it's very near Burgos (the prostitute capital of Makati) and we had no choice but to pass through that place.
-The waitresses gave the wrong orders, quite a few times. And also for a few times, they didnt know what they were doing.
-The A/C can either get too cold or really warm.
-The Head Chef showed kind gestures by approaching our table, gave suggestions to my husband & our two friends and asked if liked the food. However, I was deliberately IGNORED. I was the only Filipina at the table, and no I am not a hooker.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manila, Philippines
“Pretty Good for Manila, but Lots of Meat and Potatoes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have been to the Savoy Bistro twice, the first time I was more impressed as I was with a group and we had the private room. The salmon was excellent and we had some good wine, we were also impressed by the dessert selection. I liked the chef, (formerly of Hermanos in RSA, and was very friendly to us). The second visit we got a less interesting table near the front. I noted that the menu selection is rather limited, and that the emphasis is really on meat, and starch, and very little selection of vegetables or salad, (Filippino diet perhaps?). While we were satisfied with our selection, and found the foie gras appetiser to be very good, I felt that the food was perhaps too rich and would benefit from more fresh veg and salad. We also unfortunately had an issue with service as we had to wait for an extended period to get our bill.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manila
“Big Surprise - a Hidden Jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Yesterday I was the first time at Bistro Savoy and I was a bit scared after reading all the very mixed contributions on tripadvisor. But I have to say the food was truly excellent and the service perfect. Good looking, efficient and smiling (!) waitresses really served us well. Worth noting is the wine: quite moderately priced,for example a superb Pebble Lane Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand which was extremely well chilled (which is unfortunately quite uncommon in many of the even up-market restaurants in Makati). The food is at the same top level as Zuni’s – my favorite place in Makati. Conclusion: I will be back!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Irving, Texas
“Great Restaurant that turned Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was a wonderful restaurant until 2 1/2 weeks ago when they decided to fire their chef (Chef Robert) who really made the place what it was. Well last Friday I went in to have a nice dinner only to find out Chef Robert was gone. What a disappointment. The service was less than good, the current chef didn't come over to greet me like Robert used to do and then came the food. I had an over cooked dried out piece of chicken that was awful. Needless to say, I was dining there at least once a week and now I will never go back. Too Bad!!! Oh and I almost forgot the place was so hot that I sat through the whole meal sweating.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cebu City, Philippines
“Great surroundings...............nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The layout and the ambience of the restaurant were obviously thought about, it's lovely, a great place to take the wife/girlfriend for one of those romantic dinners.

There was an extensive wine selection with specials on some.

The service was fast and efficient - and the food I ordered was very good, however there was some confusion over 'potatoes' - well this is Manila.

Not you low end restaurant, certainly not low cost, but the food and surroundings make that little extra worth it.

However trying to get a smile from the waitress was like pulling teeth

• Visited April 2013