“Rooms are dark caves!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Yogyakarta
Berlin, Germany
“Rooms are dark caves!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Honestly: I don´t understand who is writing the reviews for this place. The place itself is nice, well run, with an armada of friendly staff and in the style which other reviewers before me described: beautiful and mostly quiet. But nobody seem to bother with the fact, that the rooms - and I mean nearly all of them - come as dark holes, which are far away from the pictures they posted online. And they seem to have a gift to make travelers from western cultures angry - I heared angry complaints about this and that every day (Internet instable, laundry ripp off, stinking bathrooms, not working toiletts and so on). Depending on the days you can get the rooms between reduced 25€ and original 75€. I complained about this situation and sended own pictures to Booking.com - which forced them now to take the (with a lot of additional light produced) bright pictures out of their advertisements. The "Balcony/Terasse" is a walkway without privacy.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Puri_Artha_Yogya, Front Office Manager at Puri Artha Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Ms.Beatrix H,

Thank you for taking the time to share and review Puri Artha Hotel Yogyakarta.

During your stay in Puri Artha Hotel Yogyakarta we have directly met you and discuss about this, And You were right.
Our management team has been doing some sustainable efforts to make sure our goal that make every guest happy when they are staying with us.
Once again thank you for your positive input to us

We wish to welcome you back in the nearest future with new quality of service and facilities

Eko Candra Gunawan
( Front Office Manager )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have just had an 8 night stay at this hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the furnishings were lovely and the style of hotel with rooms opening onto verandahs and garden was a real change to modern, enclosed, fully airconditioned hotels. My room had a split system a/c which worked very well, but which I chose not to use because the weather was cool and pleasant. It was nice to be able to open a window and hear the birds in the garden outside. My room (deluxe) was extremely spacious and well furnished with arm chairs, coffee table, desk & chair, bedside tables, wardrobe and shelves, and a comfy bed. Comments in other reviews about bathroom fittings being a little tired are true, but if you want everything to be new and shiny, then you need to be prepared to pay 4 & 5 star prices to pay for it. Water pressure was good and the water was hot. After an initial repair, the toilet flushed perfectly for the rest of the stay. I ate in the hotel dining room most evenings and found the food very well priced and very enjoyable. For those on a tighter budget, there are plenty of local shops in the same and surrounding streets. The laundry service was good with same day delivery as promised and everything laundered perfectly and without any damage. Again, for the budget traveller, there is a laundry just a few doors from the hotel if you want to take your laundry there. I thought the hotel was very good value. I felt sad to leave, and intend staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stay for as a honeymooner last December 2012 in this hotel, stay at deluxe room. To our surprise they upgrade our room to Deluxe special room. This hotel is not a new one but all is well maintained. The room was so large and the staffs are very friendly. All the time we hear the Javanese music (they call it 'gamelan') in the public area of the hotel.

Only for the breakfast, they dont have many choices on Indonesian food, though it was served as a buffet. But for bread and salad bar, it should be fine for the breakfast. But, sure you will not mind it anymore when you hear the 'live gamelan' accompany your breakfast. It's really a beautiful sound and relaxing.

The most experience you will get in this hotel is the Javanese ambiance everywhere you are in the hotel. The staffs are very nice with Javanese politeness. Even they have a traditional umbrella hung behind our door :) This hotel is so fantastic, blend with Javanese traditional yet still provide you with a wide selection of TV channel and fast internet wifi.

Room Tip: Get the room on the 1st floor at the special deluxe room, near the garden and the swimming pools. It...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel provides very good value for the money. It has a nice swimming pool and restaurant. If you want old Javanese charm this is the place. The staff was courteous and helpful. It is located between the airport and sultan`s palace. You will have to take a taxi downtown or to the airport.

Room Tip: Avoid road side rooms due to noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was ironic that after checking out and whilst waiting for my car, I thought I would write this review. But the Internet was down. Welcome to Indonesia, the country that has stolen my heart despite its frustrations with infrastructure.

The Puri Artha Hotel in Yogyakarta is actually very good value considering the price one pays. It also has some other very good points:

* The swimming pool is lovely. Clean, private and a nice place to relax after a busy day.
* The location. Perfectly situated in the student areas this hotel is ideal for people here studying Bahasa Indonesia or wanting to try some of the hundreds of great restaurants that offer lovely food at incredibly cheap prices.
* The staff. Typical for Indonesia, the staff at this hotel were excellent. Also very helpful.
* Gardens. The hotel offers lovely and well kept gardens set in a typical Javanese structure.

On the downside, new travellers to Indonesia may find this hotel a little tired, with toilets that sometimes smell and small things like old tubular TV's. Not a big issue but be aware of this.

The wifi is free and mostly it works well; unless you are wanting to write a review that is . :)

So mixed feelings about the overall assessment of this hotel, but I guess in the end the question is, would I ever stay here in the future. And my answer is, Yes.

So I guess that says it all?

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room or if possible a room that overlooks the pool area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We arrived after a whole day of Borobudur-Ullen Sentalu-Prambanan at 18.00, only to be told that they did not have our booking (was booked 3 days ago). It was left up to me to prove that I had a booking. I was given different instructions (such as send the email to us; no print it out; no fwd to us because printer does not work etc) When I fwded the email, the man at the desk did not address us for 8-10 mins, leaving us standing. Then he took the payment from me. When I asked him if I could first look at the room, he said no!
Our room was 'on the other side' of the busy street where the hotel stands. The swimming pool was on our side but the reception and restaurant on the other. People who stay here have to cross the road in their swimming trunks and towels to get to their rooms!
The internet did not work. i called them and they promised to send someone with the password (! why not just tell me!) but nobody came for the whole night and I got the password from my neighbour.
Rooms are dirty as hell.
When we asked for a car hire to see Merapi sulphur slopes, the man at the desk quoted 500000! Bearing in mind we had paid 600,000 for a whole day of Boro-Prambanan-Sentallu!
Staff was okay (except the receptionists). We avoided any more business with them, and used a local laundry and Thai resto for dining.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel is so visually beautiful with high quality traditional javanese woodcarving furniture that it is worth the stay for this alone. The service here was very good and i was happy to receive a breakfast pack to take away since we had an early flight and would miss the buffet breakfast. On the downside the bathroom was a bit smelly and the hot water is turned off between 10pm-4am which due to my early morning flight I had a cold shower. Having said that I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Puri Artha Hotel? Share your experiences!