“great location, apartments on a budget” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Tropic Suites Hotel

You added Grand Tropic Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Tropic Suites Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jln. Letjend S. Parman Kav. 3, Jakarta 11014, Indonesia (Grogol Petamburan)   |
Ranked #166 of 331 Hotels in Jakarta
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“great location, apartments on a budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

location is very near to the main shopping complexes like ciputra and central park malls, after giving clear instructions to the reception staff they were able to fix the beds and give 3 single beds instead of a double and single. The facilities like kitchen, kettle, air con and bathroom were clean and maintained well, the buffet style breakfast was good with hours extended till 10 am. there was mostly a queue for the lifts so if staying on the top floors can be time consuming. Wifi was only in the lobby areas and restaurant and for some reason on the 5th floor but not on any of the other rooms on other floors. to book excursions its best to go to a tourist info centre as the staff did not know much about excursion activities; but were very helpful for places to go around the city. service was top quality and the staff were helpful, i would recommend staying here for the comfort of your own apartment on a budget.

Room Tip: if you want wifi in your room then try for an apartment on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
Bandung,Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Today 23 Aug 2013 ,i've just checked out and I cannot remember how many times i've been staying on this Grand Tropic Suites Hotel, it was too many !.The reason why i stayed in this hotel, because its centrally located, near to everything including the Central Park , Taman Anggrek and Citraland Shopping Mall.This hotel has seen glorious days in its past.Now a bit old and outdated.A major renovation on rooms and hotel facade will be a great plus point.Usually i booked the business suite , with Queen sized bed , a living room and kitchen.Bathroom , altough its completed with amenities , have to be renovated, the bathtub looked old , rusty and a leakage here and there, hard to operate the showers.Towels and bed linens and pillows are not that white coloured as it supposed to be.Great breakfast , with many choices of menu, great swimming pool , with a little artificial beach , nice for kids.Overall, im satisfied of what i get from what i paid for .A budget 4 star hotel, and still one of my top choice when im visiting Jakarta for business or leisure.Booked on Agoda , and it never fails , the staffs are always friendly ,check in and out was fast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Booked a executive suite with 2 bedrooms to sleep 4. The price per night is good but the beds are too soft and the aircon needs servicing and is starting to smell. Reason probably is people smoking in the non smoking rooms. Staff try their best but there are just some things like better mattress and cleaner toilets need better maintenance and servicing. Not recommended for families who want a clean place to come back unless you are really on a budget. Lobby has loads of mozzies so do make sure you are not in shorts or singlets to get the free wifi in the lobby area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Tropics Suites for 7 nights in 3 different rooms. Our first 4 nights were spent in a 2-bedroom suite on the 5th floor. The suite was lovely with a small bedroom with a queen-size bed, a bedroom with a twin bed and a living-kitchen area with a small sofa, chairs and tables. It also had a nice full-length mirror which the other rooms did not. We arrived in our room about 2:30 am and didn’t get to bed until after 3. So we were startled when the doorbell rang loudly 3 times at 8 am. It was someone wondering if we had any clothes needing to be laundered! Needless to say we were sure to hang the “do not disturb” card on our door each night after that.

The second room we stayed in was a deluxe suite with one bedroom on the 11th floor. We quickly discovered that there was no WiFi in the room as advertised. There was only a direct hookup which neither of our Apple products could access. We were informed that only the 5th floor had WiFi available, and the assistant manager arranged for us to be transferred to another room there the following day.

All rooms were non-smoking and on non-smoking floors. The rooms on the back side of the hotel were very quiet, while in the one in front you could hear traffic throughout the night.

The 2-bedroom suite had both a shower stall and a bathtub. The single bedroom suites only had a bathtub with a shower head. The shower curtains were woefully inadequate and each time we showered the floor became wet. The water pressure in all rooms was excellent and had plenty of hot water—in fact, we never ran out. The bath amenities were very nice: conditioning shampoo, bath foam, shower cap, miniscule soap, q-tips and toothbrushes if needed. However, there were no wash cloths or hand towels. The bath towels were a good size and quite absorbent.

All rooms had walk in closets with in-closet safes; however, only one worked. We called to have one repaired, and response was within about ½ hour. There was very good air conditioning in the bedrooms and the living area which was a welcome relief after Jakarta heat. We were given 2 or 3 bottles of drinking water daily. There was a small mini-mart which was part of the hotel complex where we were able to purchase more at a reasonable price. The shop also carried drinks and snacks.

Lighting could have been better in the bedrooms by the addition of another table lamp and night table on more than one side of the bed.

All rooms had modern LCD TVs in the living area. The double bedroom suite also had an old, gigantic TV in the queen bedroom which made it difficult to get around. Channel selection varied by the room we were in, but most of the major English channels in Asia were available.

Kitchens contained microwaves, refrigerators, plates, coffee cups, glasses and forks, knives and spoons. There were also hotpots for boiling water, but unfortunately for tea drinkers they tasted of coffee residue. There were also small sinks, but no dishtowel or dish detergent.

We needed to get taxis on several days for site-seeing and for going to the conference we were attending. The staff was extremely helpful and taxis were readily available. But beware that most taxi drivers do not speak English. The staff was helpful in explaining to the drivers where we wanted to go.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Cipara mall (about 10 minutes), but the pavement is uneven and not lit at night.

Food: the breakfast buffet was mobbed each day, and food and beverages, plates, utensils and juice glasses were usually out. Food choices are very Asian. The restaurant’s a la carte menu features Indonesian and Asian cuisine with a few Western choices. The club sandwich included beef (instead of bacon), chicken, cheese and fried egg with 4 slices of bread. The hamburger was huge, literally covering the 9-inch plate and tasted like meatloaf as burgers often do in Asia. The French fries were from frozen fries, but tasted fine. There is a bakery with a small choice of cakes and rolls in the lobby of the hotel. The cheesecake and tiramisu were both very good.

The most annoying problem during our stay was that one elevator was out of commission so that there were long waits to go up and down. One staff member told us the motor was being replaced; when I asked how long the elevator had not been working, he replied, “Three months.” On one day a second elevator was not stopping at our floor for some reason.

The staff of the hotel is very gracious and helpful. Requests for extra pillows, towels and toilet paper were answered within 10 minutes. The desk staff was helpful in changing dollars to rupiah since with the holiday most exchanges were closed. Housekeeping did a great job and all three rooms we stayed in were clean and cleaned each day of our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel for a quieter experience. Ask for the 5th floor if you need...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bandung, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I think the building already old and use to be apartment before. however the location surrounding 3 big malls. Check in quite fast and the lift very slow to reach the room and careful with the lift sensor, my 2 kids was trap on the lift because suddenly close even we push the "open"
I was stay 2 nite double "small" room with big family room +kitchen.
room Quite dirty until we check out. feet always dirty each time we take off the shoes.
the air conditioner unit old and noise . the bath tub also old. the key was not working while we upstairs and must back to the office with slow lift. (there 4 lift and 1 didn't working )

I was order spa/ massage for 9 PM to the lobby and theres no respond so my husband went to the spa and the staff was offering "plus plus spa" also while we going down and seating around pool area for smoking, there "sl*t" waving to us..
sorry to say that we wont back to that hotel again. the price quite expensive from what we got.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel has certainly seen better days and could need a renovation. But overall, we were very happy with our stay: the swimming pool was nice, our 6 person suite was spacious and comfortable and staff is very friendly. The hotel perfectly met our needs: a place to relax during a 24 hours transit in Jakarta. Great breakfast buffet with good quality of both Western and Indonesian items.

Note that the hotel's airport service is substantially more expensive than getting your own Silver Bird taxi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days, I arrived on Thursday & check out on Tuesday. When I arrived at the hotel in a taxi there was no one at the lobby to welcome me. I came out of the taxi and started to take my luggage out from the boot being assisted by the taxi driver, after awhile then came bell boy helping me with my luggage. The check in was fast, so I was pleased. Then the nightmare came.
The lift was super slow. When I reach my room, I had to wait awhile for my luggage to be send to my room. I stayed on the 15th floor cause I request for a smoking room. The room was big but quite old ( I think they need to renovate). The safe was not working & they responded quite fast to change the battery of the safe. After that I light my cigarette & I was searching for an ashtray & there was none. I called to ask for one, after awhile the phone ring in the room and the staff told me they are out of ash tray, with a laughter I said, then why a smoking room do not have an ash tray and told him please bring one. Eventually after 15mins the ashtray came.

On Friday I went down for breakfast…they serve quite a variety of food but mainly Indonesian and mixture of others.. Some of the food was replenish very slow. I was out the whole day… I came back almost 10pm & decide to have late dinner with a friend, we wanted to seat near the pool but was told the staff is cleaning the area there so instead we were told to sit near the water area.. So we ordered and the food served was slow…then there we mosquito around the area we were sitting…we decided to eat quickly and pay up…so I went to the cashier to pay up & told him about the mosquito & the response was… : Yes that seating there has mosquito, next time you should seat inside instead…I gave him a smile and walked away.

On Saturday breakfast encounter was the same.. I had some friends over, we ordered quite a bit of room service for lunch, the food came & the staff place it on the table and told me to sign the bill, after signing my friend told me one of the food was missing, then I told the staff how come you ask me to sign the bill without checking whether the items ordered are complete. He left and brought the left items. Now I’m bragging again about the lifts, it is super slow, they have four lift, one in under renovation, two for hotel guest and one for staff and guest. On one occasion I took the lift shared with the staff, I was annoyed because in the lift the staff was talking & laughing without respecting there are guest in the lift.

On Sunday I did not took breakfast because I had to go out early, I came back almost 10pm and was tired, as usual the lift was slow, when I reached the 15th floor my key card not working and I had to go down to check with the reception, I asked why this happen & he said, sometimes the key card need to be recharge, I was stunned. After that I went up to my room, there was my laundry on my sofa nicely done, I was impressed. After shower I sat and watch some tv, suddenly the door bell ring, I opened, it was the housekeeping asking me to sign their log book b’cos they already delivered the laundry to my room when I was out, I was so surprised that they came almost 11 pm just to ask me to sign their log book..where is my privacy?
On Monday at breakfast the same thing happen, so I decided to speak to the restaurant manager, he apologized and he attended to me professionally. I guess he was the only person I’ve encountered acted that way. I was out the whole day, when I came back in the evening I went to the minimart to buy some drinks and came across with the manager again and he greeted me, we had a friendly conversation, after that I went up to my room, after awhile the door bell ring and room service brought me some nicely cut fruits and he says compliment from the restaurant manager. I was very impressed with the manager.

On my check out day, I called personally to the taxi company to book my taxi because I rather do it myself, I called for the bell boy to help me with my luggage from my room, it took them quite awhile to come, when I’m done with my check out, my luggage was still not at the lobby, it took awhile for my luggage to come down, this must be the slow lift.

This is a four star hotel, really hope that they improve on their service, courtesy, lifts & professionalism.

Room tips: Request for High Floor for nice view facing the pool...
Taxi tips : Bluebird group…

Room Tip: Request for High Floor for nice view facing the pool...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grand Tropic Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!