“Sad decline of a decent hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta

You added Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta to your Saves list
Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Kemang Raya No.7 | Jakarta Selatan, Jakarta 12730, Indonesia   |
Ranked #113 of 345 Hotels in Jakarta
Yogyakarta
“Sad decline of a decent hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I checked into this hotel at 8 pm and had checked out in disgust by 9...

My initial difficulty was when my staff made the booking. All fine to start with, but then the next day they get a call back demanding my credit card details or they would cancel my room. Given I was mid flight, this was impossible. By the time I landed, there had been calls back and forth and two of my staff were totally stressed A stunningly unprofessional start to my visit, especially given I had stayed there many times in the past and was there with a reputable organisation, who had a corporate rate deal with the hotel.

Once I arrived I sat and waited, whilst one sole receptionist checked in a group of 20 people before me. One by one they asked for a smoking room, one by one they were told that actually all the rooms " should..." be non-smoking. A clear implication that this was loosely enforced.

When my turn came, I asked specifically for a non smoking room and expressed my concern at the receptionists prior implication. I was assured this was not the case and the rule was enforced...

I excited the elevator on my floor to the stench of old and new smoke, got to my room that reeked of stale smoke, and of course called, complained and asked to move to a smoke free room. The receptionist offered to send housekeeping to spray my room, which I pointed out would mean a room that stank of stale smoke and sickly room spray.

She then said she would call housekeeping, and check other rooms and call me back. 10 minutes later I was offered a new, which somewhat predictably reeked of, guess what... stale smoke and overpowering room freshener.

I used the room for ten minutes to track down alternative accommodation and checked out, tired and furious...

The receptionist then had the hide to try and demand I paid as I had used the room! My loud demand to see the manager, so I knew who to sue, when I called the police set her in her place and I left in disgust.

Over the many years of my visits to Indonesia I have stayed many times at this hotel when it was the Grand Flora. I am simply shocked and appalled that the new Swiss manager could let it degrade so quickly.

WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T STAY THERE...

• Stayed October 2011
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang, Jakarta.

Thank you for your comment and feedback, please accept our apology for the inconvenience caused to due to the fact that the service we provided has failed to meet your expectation. I have addressed the matter to our Front Office and Housekeeping Manager to make sure that this would not happen again in the future.

Please be informed that further to the Management, Owning company changes and with the new regulation of non smoking policy in the building, we are continuously maintaining our hotel and one is the recondition of the guest rooms which currently is in the progress of repainting and changing the fabric as these are normally stale smoke stays.

I do understand that the incident have changed your image about our hotel and the impression has been tainted with by way our staff in providing the service. However, that was not our standard in providing the service to our valued customer such as yourself and we have ensured that the related staff are being taking care off.

Once again, please accept our apology and rest assure that we will make sure to serve your better in the future, if you give us another chance to show you our service and standard in exceeding the expectation of our guests. Please do contact me directly on my e-mail address; gmsbak@swiss-belhotel.com for any assistant needed.

Erich Hirawan
Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang, Jakarta.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

There was a booming disco outside the hotel room - not the hotel's fault (could use some new windows though to cut the noise) and they moved me....but moved me above the generator - so white noise, but still loud. Then on a Saturday afternoon they decided to undertake a construction project in a room next to mine - drills, banging.................and I was sick and trying to sleep. I called the front desk to complain - nice people, but the construction continued. Can't they work on that during the middle of the week when people are in meetings and out of their room!!!

Tried to use the exercise facility - none of the equipment would turn on.
Breakfast is nice.
Internet cord is too short - you have to sit at a desk to use it and the way the room is set up you can't really watch tv....

Needless to say staying here is affecting my ability to sleep and be fresh for work - I wouldn't stay here again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Greetings from Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang, Jakarta.

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused due to the noise disturbance inside and outside the hotels. Your feedback is valuable to us therefore we can continuously improve our services and exceed the expectation of our guests. We are currently on the progress of the improvement of our facilities, unfortunately the noise was from the AC installation from our meeting room we just installed on the afternoon last weekend, which has caused an inconvenient staying with us, we have advised the related Department head to ensure the project scheduling should be at the right time and once again please accept our sincere apology.

We do hope that the noise disturbance is not changing your image about our hotel services which we learned that you had enjoyed the friendliness on our staff, therefore we are looking forward for a second chance for you to stay with us and we will ensure that we will do better next time.

We than
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Even though we weren't particularly impressed with the Kemang area of Jakarta the Arion was perfectly acceptable accommodation and good value. The rooms were a decent size, good beds and decent shower. Everything was clean and in good shape and as our room was at the back of the hotel it was really quiet and we had none of the traffic noise on Jalan Kemang.

Service at reception, room service and at breakfast was a little slow but always friendly (an unexpected bonus during ramhadan). The breakfast food selection was fine.

We also like the nice pool on the rooftop with a view and the new equipment in the fitness centre.

The only downside was the non-smoking floor corridors which smelled of stale smoke.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back for more peace
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Greetings from Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang

Thank you very much in writing us with your valuable comment, we are glad to learned that you have enjoyed our facility and services. This is our commitment to ensure that our valued customer such as yourself are enjoying the stays at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang. We are continuously learning and improving our service and product and we really appreciate your impute therefore we can be better next time.

Once again, we thank you very much for your visit with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

REMINDER: DON'T DRINK THE WATER IN JAKARTA. Don't even use it for brushing your teeth; that's the reason hotels like this one have complimentary bottled water in the bathrooms.

I stayed for two weeks here on a business trip, and it served as a good base. Nice restaurants, shops, and convenience stores nearby, very handy. If you like to drink or party, Kemang is a great place to be.

The rooms were decent, although I noticed some paint-like stains on a couple of bed sheets during my stay.

Room service food was okay, and actually decently priced for a hotel. Local food quite good. Breakfast buffet was not a sprawling feast, but quite adequate to get you started in the morning. Coffee could be better, though.

Staff were quite friendly and helpful. Laundry service very prompt and reasonably priced by hotel standards (I suspect you can get much lower rates outside. However as far as I know there are no handy laundry shops in the Kemang area, so it's good that the in-house service is not insane.)

Swiss-Belhotel just took over this property, and I hope that bodes well for service improvements overall. Right now, for a business trip it's adequate, but it's not really a top choice for honeymooners and so on. I'd come back just for the sheer convenience of the place though.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Greeting from Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang,

Starting 9th May 2011 Hotel Grand Flora Kemang is under the management of Swiss-Belhotel International.

Thank you for the feed back I am very pleased to read that in overall you have enjoyed our hotel and facilities and we have meet your expectation. It is in line with the principles of our hotels that each staff member of the employee is dedicated to service excellence and we will certainly make every effort to maintain and to improve our standards. As to the linen issue please accept our apology, we are currently on the process of replacing them with duvet in replace to the blanket and sheet.

We very much value your great support toward us and hope this will continue for many years to come and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang upon your next visit to Jakarta.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

The Grand flora is a good hotel for the budget traveller in the city of Jakarta. The reasonable cost of the rooms is acceptable given the location of the hotel in Kemang. Any place else- and you would have complained.
The staff is courteous, the welcome drinks is also good (though sometimes it comes to you and on some you go to it- as we realised in our second coming). The rooms are small by all standards. The main issue that we faced is the paucity of water in the hotel (i guess this is the case with the entire region) – when we pay a grand amount- the least that the hotel can do is place a 2 ltr bottle of water in the refrigerator, but no its a 650ml bottle (2 Nos.) placed in the bathroom. The hotel did not have shaving kits- the dental kits had toothpastes which last like half a day! The housekeeping staff is very courteous and the adapters for laptops are promptly issued and so are windows opened (courtesy a declaration though)
The bets feature of the hotel is the lovely Rock cafe (in the basement) that runs all through the week (or it was when we satyed), the bands are earnest in their efforts, the drinks are good and the ambience top notch!
The location of the hotel is amazing with the goods shopping jaunts close by, the staff are ell groomed and amiable. The restaurant is normal- no great shakes there. The breakfast is strictly normal with some times disappointing fare.
The internet connectivity is fast and is through wired mode only- no wifi- not sure is all can access it that way!
The toilets are clean – very clean at times and that is a good indicator for a budget hotel.
Overall- a good hotel to sleep at night and leave for work in the day in Jakarta.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
GMSBAK, General Manager at Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Greetings from Arion Swiss-belhotel Kemang Jakarta formerly Hotel Grand Flora Kemang. Please note that starting 9th May 2011 Hotel Grand Flora Kemang Jakarta is under the management of Swiss-Belhotel International.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are glad to learned that you have enjoyed our facilities and services.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the shortfalls as pointed out in your comments.

I may assure you that the service related issues are currently being addressed with the departments concerned as it is with constructive guest feed-back like yours to ensure that we can maintain and improve our standards.

We very much value your support toward our hotel and hope this will continue for many years to come.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta upon your next visit to Jakarta and If In the meantime we could be of any further assistance please do contact us at your convenience.
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Not recommended to stay in Grand Flora Hotel, located on Jalan Kemang Raya, Jakarta... I paid for 2 nights stay but ended only stayed there for 1 night.
What happened was i checked in passed midnight and the next morning i had bed bugs bites almost all my arms, back and legs area... complained to the Manager and demanded for refund... they simply said sorry but couldn't do a refund... very disappointing for such service... especially knowing that how dirty the sheets are...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

We are well aware of the building and rooms related deficiencies which have been previously addressed as part of a major renovation project for the comfort of our valued guests such as yourself.

uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

After being quoted 1.5m rupiah or 1.1m rupiah at the Grand Kemang for a junior suite because everything else was booked, I was surprised to be offered a twin share initially for 1.1m rupiah at the Grand Flora, which isn't in the same class at all. This was negotiated down to 689,000 per night 'just between us' on the premise that it was a 'company rate' or something. I was pretty desperate for a room, to be honest, so I just accepted whatever the reason was even at that inflated price. This is NOT a $70 USD a night hotel, for a start.

When we went to our room we found they were currently offering a special weekend offer, and this was the weekend, at 580,000 rupiah per night, which made me feel like I'd just been ripped off by almost 100,000 per night, not a bad little 'fix'.

If you can get the room for that rate then I think it's a pretty fair deal, a little high still, but ok for what you get.

The cleanliness of the room is almost immaculate, 80%. The location is the best in Kemang so 100%, the rooms are nice, not huge, not small, but average size so 60%. The service would have been excellent had we not felt ripped off as soon as we got to our room, and the service in the restaurant at breakfast, was initially truly with a smile, but deteriorated after that, so overall, not too bad, average, so 60%. The value for money, I still have a gripe about, so I can only give that 20%. This may be due to an extremely shortsighted policy of trying to get the most out of the customer rather than providing value for money - short termism, versus long termism - and I'll be interested to see what happens with this hotel because I certainly wouldn't want to stay there again just for the ill-feeling generated by this 'scam' which is clearly management led.

Still, there was no noise issue in the room that I was aware of and there were sufficient complimentary consummables in the bedroom.

The buffet breakfast wasn't bad, but it might disappoint any western travellers used to their traditional English morning breakfast- this certainly wasn't close to it. There was white bread, not brown, and a toaster. Eggs are available to order but there is no instruction that you should - just be bold and ask! There were a kind of small sausages, which were no great beans, but no great baked beans, either!

However, there was salad, of 'interesting' presentation, and fruit, with limited yoghurt, so be quick (!) and all the curry things you could possibly wish for - but for me - not really for breakfast!

Piano in foyer, no piano player in sight for the entire weekend we stayed. There is a bar attached to the foyer and I saw a few people using the internet there. There is also free internet in the room, apparently, but we never checked this, just saw the cable, so it isn't wifi, if you're bringing a notepad or ipod, or just want to access the internet on your phone.

There is a basement with live music every night but the beer is relatively very expensive down there, and the band we saw was of the 'arena tribute variety' rather than anything warm or friendly, like you might get at 'The Jaya Pub' or 'Top Gun' or even 'Murphy's', the wonderful Irish bar literally next door, another great thing about the location of this hotel.

After three days of being charged extornionate prices I moved to the Galleri hotel, literally round the corner in Kemang, and literally half the price, wifi included and larger room. The problem is it isn't easy to find, you need to ask the taxi to head to 'the Star Deli', and then look on your left about 75m for the entrance. If they have a room it is the bargain of the century relative to the Grand Flora, if you want a bargain that is.

Otherwise, if you can get the Grand Flora for around 500,000 rupiah, it is definitely worth the money, just for the location, also near the Food Festival and Dim Sum! Try and negotiate ahead rather just turn up like I did.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Arion Swiss-Belhotel Kemang Jakarta? Share your experiences!