“Owner response”

Jakarta, Indonesia
“Owner response”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Dear Peter G,

It was great to read of your Kemang Icon experience. Many thanks for taking the time to review us. We hope to have you back next time you're in Kemang.

Carter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at Kemang Icon many times, tried different suites. I love all the suites I've stayed at (insigni, illusion, imperia, icare, intrigue). In kemang area, there are not many hotels to choose from, and Kemang Icon offers luxury suites with very good customer service, good menu to choose from for breakfast and dinner. I am looking forward to trying their new brunch menu.

Their suites have very unique style, each suite has different theme and layout. The room service and The Edge restaurant upstairs provide excellent service. The Edge is also a nice area to relax and sunbathe. You rarely find this kind of hotel in Jakarta.

Can not wait to try other suites at Icon :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon By Alila, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Ms. Sara S -

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review us here on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you soon at Kemang Icon. Please let us know when you are coming in next and we will make sure your next stay is as pleasurable as your last!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

As one of the other reviewers has mentioned, this hotel is clearly in what is/used to be an office block which means that when you go up to the third floor which is the start of the hotel rooms, you go past empty floors of office space. The rooms are very large due to the fact that it used to be an office, so there is no shortage of space, but there is just something lacking here. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, but the accommodation is just a bit...odd. We had the same trouble as other reviewers with a room underneath pool which meant hearing the pump going all night. Had we been staying more than one night we would have asked to move rooms, but it wasn't worth it for the amount of time that we were there.

The location is the main selling point of this hotel as it's in the centre of the Kemang area of Jakarta near many good restaurants and bars and also near the office where my husband was doing business so it suited our needs fine. The price was also reasonable.

The rooftop pool is nice, although I didn't use it as the day when we were there they were shooting a documentary piece up there and I didn't really fancy being in the background splashing about!

I can't comment on the food as we didn't get a chance to try it.

Would I come back? Probably, but only if we had a different room without the noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear naylajab,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Kemang Icon! Guest feedback is a great tool we always use here to improve our product and service levels.

Regarding our property/structure, the building of Kemang Icon was in fact built to house our boutique hotel. The architect of the building designed the space especially for the all-suite concept. Each room is unique from the others and houses in terms of space, art, decor, etc. So you mentioned odd whereas I would say unique, and that it is. The space on the second floor you mentioned is not empty, it was just getting refitted during March so might have looked barren.

Please do come back and this time try a dip in our infinity edge pool and a bite at our restaurant both on our roof and both highlights of the Kemang Icon experience!

BURLINGTON. VT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I agree with many of the other reviewers that this hotel is a welcome respite from busy, hot Jakarta. The restaurant was very good, and the pool setting just stunning. The rooms were very well appointed and very spacious- this hotel was looking to be the highlight of my 16 day 11 city Asia trip... until.... bed bugs. So disappointed. There were 4 of us travelling, in 4 different rooms and two of us ended up with bed bug bites. My neck and shoulder are covered with probably 25-30 bites.
This just ruined what would have been a perfect stay for me.
Any other hotel I would rate as "Terrible" based on this alone, but because everything else was so nice, I give it an "average".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear VTtraveler -

Oh dear! I was shocked to read your comments. This is the first I have ever heard of any guest mentioning bed bugs during my tenure here. As soon as I initially read this we had our pest control specialist survey all Suites in the hotel. His testing results came back negative but we retreated every room accordingly. I am so sorry that you feel as though this was the culprit. However, I'd like to suggest that those were probably mosquito bites as you were here in Jakarta at the tail end of the rainy season. Perhaps you were the one in the Vermont group that was wearing the low cut Mexican sun dress? We do offer Alila Living's mosquito repellent for guests in need at our rooftop restaurant, The Edge.

We truly hope to have you back at Kemang. I understand that the VT group might be coming back regularly so please contact me directly if planning a trip back (cjccrites@alilahotels.com)

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my second trip to Indonesia, but my first stay at Kemang Icon, which I found via the new Wallpaper* City Guide Jakarta. The reception did not disappoint, providing a cool, quiet welcome after a chaotic journey. It's a small hotel with quirks, but the important boxes are ticked - eager staff sorted out any problems that cropped up, even sending someone out to buy me a glue stick when I needed one; room decor is in line with most design hotels I've stayed in in Asia, with sleek dark wood and neutral fabrics; the rooftop restaurant and pool area were an absolute godsend. Chatting with the hotel's American chef and general manager while watching the sun set over the skyline was a highlight of a month of business travel. I'd heard that the area's full of great restaurants, but I never left the rooftop, even arranging client meetings there. I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor suites, as far from the next-door mosque as possible (unless you are okay being woken b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ms. Amy -

I too enjoyed our sunset chat about literature and music! We hope to welcome you back next time you are in Jakarta. We at Kemang Icon really enjoyed having you as a guest and appreciate your taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

Hope to see you soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this Hotel, it's just so cool. As soon as you walk inside the walls of this Hotel, the stress of Jakarta seems to melt away. We stayed in the Infini room. This room feels more like the apartment that you wished you lived in, than a hotel room. Packed full of beautiful design features and careful attention to detail, it offers an intimate, personalised and comfortable stay. The bed was lovely and there were enough pillows to go round (my husband has a pretty bad habit of stealing them and he can't sleep unless he has four) The food in this hotel is great. Enjoying the perfect Eggs Benedict, in the comfort of a gazebo, overlooking the infiniti pool and Kemang's busy skyline, is about as Zen as you are ever going to get in Jakarta. This place is ideal for business travellers, a long weekend escape, or if you are trying to impress the ladies.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kiwijen -

So glad to hear you enjoyed the Kemang Icon experience. Please keep in mind that Chef Brandon has launched a superb new menu that you must try so try to get back soon!

Thank you for spending the time to let others know about your experience.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Prior to my stay I have visited the Edge restaurant for a friends birthday party. After a super busy week at the office I felt like I needed a mini escape from the hustle and bustle of Jakarta. So the first place I thought of is the Kemang Icon, because of its amazing pool atop the skyline of Kemang. I lounged in the cabana amongst some really cool people that I met. The food was amazing, whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner (well one was a late night treat). One of the really brilliant elements of the Icon is the personalized service you get. The team there take the time to get to know you. I don't know about you, but I hate the 500 room mega hotels where even if you stayed one month, they wouldn't remember you. After checking in and making my way to the pool I was greeted by Brendan the truly 5 star chef, who was a friendly chap and was willing to customize my order to my taste. He and Carter took the time to sit down and have a beer with me - seriously find that in another hotel!!!

I have been in Jakarta for 5 years and so have a very strong knowledge of the Jakarta sites and hot spots.Overhearing the Icon team chatting with a guest about "where to go" just highlighted that they truly know their stuff, not being biased to their own restaurant, they actually pointed out a bunch of great Indonesian restaurants that I would recommend as well.

Upon getting home back to my apartment, I felt like I had just landed from Bali after a weekend away. One night was not enough, just like a trip to Bali.

One note, the rooms are huge and absolutely what I would call the perfect romantics or bachelor pad. I didn't see any families there, so not sure if they would take two rooms or share the room with the kids, as it is pretty open plan (over 100sqm!). Was super impressed with the art work and ipod that had some epic tunes on there for ambience.

Great work Alila and special thanks to Brendan, Carter and the rest of the happy Icon team

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Peter G,

Carter

Been to Kemang Icon By Alila? Share your experiences!