“I'm in love with this place.” 5 of 5 stars

Kemang Icon By Alila
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Kemang Raya 1, Jakarta 12730, Indonesia   |
Ranked #24 of 309 hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“I'm in love with this place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this Hotel, it's just so cool. As soon as you walk inside the walls of this Hotel, the stress of Jakarta seems to melt away. We stayed in the Infini room. This room feels more like the apartment that you wished you lived in, than a hotel room. Packed full of beautiful design features and careful attention to detail, it offers an intimate, personalised and comfortable stay. The bed was lovely and there were enough pillows to go round (my husband has a pretty bad habit of stealing them and he can't sleep unless he has four) The food in this hotel is great. Enjoying the perfect Eggs Benedict, in the comfort of a gazebo, overlooking the infiniti pool and Kemang's busy skyline, is about as Zen as you are ever going to get in Jakarta. This place is ideal for business travellers, a long weekend escape, or if you are trying to impress the ladies.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon By Alila, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear kiwijen -

So glad to hear you enjoyed the Kemang Icon experience. Please keep in mind that Chef Brandon has launched a superb new menu that you must try so try to get back soon!

Thank you for spending the time to let others know about your experience.

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Prior to my stay I have visited the Edge restaurant for a friends birthday party. After a super busy week at the office I felt like I needed a mini escape from the hustle and bustle of Jakarta. So the first place I thought of is the Kemang Icon, because of its amazing pool atop the skyline of Kemang. I lounged in the cabana amongst some really cool people that I met. The food was amazing, whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner (well one was a late night treat). One of the really brilliant elements of the Icon is the personalized service you get. The team there take the time to get to know you. I don't know about you, but I hate the 500 room mega hotels where even if you stayed one month, they wouldn't remember you. After checking in and making my way to the pool I was greeted by Brendan the truly 5 star chef, who was a friendly chap and was willing to customize my order to my taste. He and Carter took the time to sit down and have a beer with me - seriously find that in another hotel!!!

I have been in Jakarta for 5 years and so have a very strong knowledge of the Jakarta sites and hot spots.Overhearing the Icon team chatting with a guest about "where to go" just highlighted that they truly know their stuff, not being biased to their own restaurant, they actually pointed out a bunch of great Indonesian restaurants that I would recommend as well.

Upon getting home back to my apartment, I felt like I had just landed from Bali after a weekend away. One night was not enough, just like a trip to Bali.

One note, the rooms are huge and absolutely what I would call the perfect romantics or bachelor pad. I didn't see any families there, so not sure if they would take two rooms or share the room with the kids, as it is pretty open plan (over 100sqm!). Was super impressed with the art work and ipod that had some epic tunes on there for ambience.

Great work Alila and special thanks to Brendan, Carter and the rest of the happy Icon team

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Peter G,

It was great to read of your Kemang Icon experience. Many thanks for taking the time to review us. We hope to have you back next time you're in Kemang.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Alila has done a magnificent job with this small refuge in the heart of Kemang at a very good value. However, be aware it is very hard to find the first time. Both my GPS and cab driver could not find with repetitive stop and asks and repetitive calls to the hotel. Each suite enclave is personally named with all the comfort, conveniences, accessories and amenities of home with a rooftop restaurant that caters to your personal needs & preferences just like at home. Good Value too.
Rooms are pleasant but dark. Bathroom vanity lighting needs to be improved, under mirror lighting does not help while shaving only washing hands.

Room Tip: all rooms have individual appeal
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon By Alila, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear johnberndt,

Many, many thanks for taking the time for your lovely review! I am pleased to read that you had a good stay and hope to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly (cjcrites@alilahotels.com) when planning your next trip to Jakarta.

Chengdu, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had to change rooms three times. In the first two there was a continuous sound like someone was drilling above our head. Turned out to be the water pump of the pool and staff was not surprised about our complaint at all. Third room we could only enter after staff killed a big lizard.

One afternoon we ordered two glasses of wine at the pool. Maybe stupid not to look at the menu, but at check-out it appeared they gave us the most expensive wine they could find: USD 70 for just two glasses. Despite our request for a more reasonable amount management insisted on full payment.

Rooms are spacious but old. Definitely not worth the money.

Room Tip: Avoid any room below the pool (i.e. rooms at lower floors with street view)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Roger -

Firstly I would like to personally apologize for your experience with us. I was shocked to read about the issues you wrote about and assure you that is not the norm at Kemang Icon (as the other reviews show). I would love to address the two issues you raised here on TripAdvisor. We were in fact having an issue with the water pump in mid-February which has been fixed. I'm very sorry that it effected your stay and caused you to move rooms.

Regarding your wine by the glass selections, we do offer a wide selection and you did in fact order our highest end glass of Riesling (as described on our Drink Menu).

Again, I do apologize for your experience at Kemang Icon and would love the opportunity to show you that your experience was far from the norm. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly (cjcrites@alilahotels.com) and I will gladly assist and expedite the process.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stepping into the Intima Suite at the Kemang Icon by Alila is best described as a luxurious experience as the spacious 85 sqm suite features mood lighting and soft music coming from every corner of the room. It's décor was very tastefully done with a keen eye for design and attention-to-detail whilst the bathroom was far beyond everywhere else in Indonesia. The quality of the fittings, furniture and linen were far superior to the other places I'd stayed at within Indonesia.

Only downside to the Intima Suite (not sure about others) is that the lighting is quite dim at its highest setting. It's great for setting a mood but terrible if you need light for any purpose.

Outside the suites the pool area is exquisite and it's hard not to want to spend the entire day just lulling by the pool and its cabanas. Similarly, the dining area (which is also the pool area) has pretty nice food - one of the few places that offers a complimentary a la carte breakfast. However, if the elevator breaks (as it did a few times during our stay) you will soon notice there are other parts of the building that are unfinished and unused.

Location-wise the Kemang Icon is in a convenient location with easy access to restaurants, bars and even a little shopping. As mentioned in other reviews, taking a taxi in Jakarta is fairly cheap so location is not worth quite as much as it would be in countries with a higher cost of living.

Although the stay at the Kemang Icon by Alila was very enjoyable and luxurious I have mixed feelings. It's a really lovely place to stay but as an international visitor I'm not too sure how wise it is to book a hotel that makes you never want to venture outside to absorb the culture of the city!

Room Tip: If you view the booking page on the Kemang Icon Alila website you can get an idea of the décor of ea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear YozYYZ -

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your Kemang Icon experience. I'm glad you enjoyed our Suites and food. Just to let you know that Exec. Chef Brandon has put together a new menu with new offerings and new touches on the old favorites. I'm sure you will be pleased should you find yourself at Kemang Icon again soon.

Just to touch on a few of your points, we have added more lighting to most of the rooms and can always bring in some of our newly designed lamps should you find your room too dark. I'm sorry to hear that you were in-house when we experienced the issue with the elevator. I assure you that it was quickly remedied.

Many of our guests are return guests who come back to Kemang Icon because of its home away from home feel here in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Jakarta. While we are right in the middle of Bohemian Kemang, some guests just enjoy the peace that our Suites offer and I'm pleased to hear you were one of them.

We hope to welcome you back soon (to taste our exquisite new menu!).

Bali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

i had 2 wonderful weeks at kemang icon by alila and i wish i can stay here forever!

from the moment i checked in, it was sensational. the edge restaurant at 5th floor with infinity pool is very well designed - with the cabana that you can spend your whole day there, the service was excellent, the food are awesome, and the suite exceeded my expectation.

all of concierge experience were always top notch to make recommendations on everything you ask for. shopping, spa, etc.
doorman/security guy, also did a fine job. they always look very happy and had really really genuine smile. open your car door and ask hows ur day. somewhat that's sweet.

overall, what can i say? i extremely impressed with their level of service (thoroughly attentive and responsive in all levels of management) and the incredible quality of the suite. Heck, even their shampoo was pretty nice.

Carter, the General Manager is a refreshing person to meet with, he will assure that you had an unforgettable experience there. the executive chef himself, chef Brandon, make me a nice soup when im not feel well, and all the restaurant staff there are really really nice gorgeous peoples. i wish i can say their name one by one but i wish i good at remember names. oh but i remember Johnny the bartender - he made a REAL good booze. trust me.. i love alcohol lol

and Diza the lovely lady - she just like friend to me, this hotel makes you really feel at home. and that's what i looking for when i travel - oh and they're not too much. all of them are really happy and treat you in a professional way. they just know what each guest wants. and for me, that was amazing.
not like oh-so-called-private-butler....

kemang icon are just.. just different and amazing

anyway, everything about the this hotel was over the top. Great job, Carter!!
i will definitely come back in the near future

Room Tip: honestly? if i travel myself i wld love imperia suite. but if youre travel as couple, choose infini...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I'm so happy you got to experience the full Kemang Icon experience, from food and drink in our new cabanas to the Alila Living Products that we are so proud of!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Jakarta!

Carter Crites
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I can't quite imagine why none of these reviews on here haven't pointed out the most obvious fact about this place. The elephant in the room.

This isn't a hotel.

This is a failed office building that decided to take one floor and decorate un-leased office space into 10 rooms for sleeping.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

As reviewed, no, there isn't a lobby (probably because this isn't a hotel). You check in at a temporary-looking desk on the G/F of an office building in between a camera shop and an art gallery. About 80% of the building is vacant. Then you take a lift to the 4/F where the rooms are. Long imposing corridor with brooding drapes and oversized Asian objets d' art. 10 rooms with cutesy names each.

There didn't appear to be any management. Everything is taken care of by 3 or 4 young guys who serve as bellboys, room service, management, reception, etc. They reminded me of homeys, hanging out.

The rooms are all different (ad-hoc transformation of vacant office space into sleeping rooms for hire) in size and decor. The first room we had was directly under the swimming pool on the roof and the pool pump whined and banged all night. Obviously this was a very common complaint because when we asked (at 6 am the next morning) to move, they immediately acquiesced and sent someone to help move us into another room down the hall.

The toilet is in the middle of the room. There are no walls or doors around it, or the bathroom. Anyone sitting on the sofa or lying in the bed can stare right at you taking a dump. So you would want to avoid staying here with anyone you weren't rather familiar with. The shower is right next to the toilet and there is no divider of any kind. Its all very avant-garde.

Typically I avoid "boutique" hotels because "boutique" is usually code for "lousy, amateurish and low budget - dressed up as trendy". Which is precisely this.

The swimming pool on the roof is lovely, it has to be said. Really really nice. Great views and a total oasis from maddening Jakarta and Kemang. Since it will almost certainly be about 50 degrees out, with brooding humidity and pollution, being able to literally rise above the motorbikes, dust and mie bakso carts and relax in chilled water with a nice Bintang is a dream. The slick paving stones around the pool and on the steps are a death trap when they get wet, but nevermind.

Prices here are ruinous - a glass of cheap white wine is US$20. The food is largely inedible. The wifi comes and goes.

Next to the "hotel" is a mosque that will conveniently wake you at 5 am, and if it doesn't, plenty of roosters and geese will.

The location is indeed perfect, and of course this is why we stayed here. There are 2 other hotels in Kemang (grandkemang and bellhotel) and you can't seriously consider staying at either one of them...I have tried and wouldn't repeat. So we gave the "icon" a go. If you have any experience at all with Jakarta, you know that the primary objective is to avoid getting into a car at all costs, so if your business takes you into Kemang, then this place will suit. Tons of bars and restaurants, convenience store, etc. within walking distance.

Strangely enough, I might stay here again. It's the best of the 3 offers in Kemang, and the price isn't crazy for what it is. The nearest proper chain hotels are an hour away in traffic. The pool is an oasis, and there's a decent Irish pub next door. All the effusive reviews here are nonsense, but if you aren't expecting anything more than a basic room in a converted vacant office building for a reasonable price - with a lovely swimming pool - then you will do just fine.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carter C, General Manager at Kemang Icon By Alila, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear HKguy -

Firstly I would like to apologize for the experience you had at Kemang Icon and can assure you that that is not the norm (in fact all the other recent TripAdvisor reviews convey a completely different experience). I would love to have the opportunity to show you what we are known for - great personalized service in a unique, high-end yet hip setting. Please contact me directly at cjcrites@alilahotels.com and hopefully we can arrange that opportunity.

I would like to clarify a few of the items you mentioned. We in fact have 12 suites (not 10 rooms) that are all unique and spacious which house an impressive collection of Asian art. Our suites have often been lauded as the best in Jakarta! I was very surprised to hear your statements about The Edge, our rooftop/poolside dining venue. Our new expat Executive Chef's efforts have assured us a position of some of the most consistently quality dishes in all of Jakarta and our wine by the glass is very moderately priced. Regarding the wireless internet issues you mentioned, I am pleased to tell you that just this week we have bumped up the bandwidth at Kemang Icon. Up until last week our service speed was 2 Mbps and we are currently on 6 Mbps with plans to bump it up to 18 Mbps before the end of the year.

So, again, I was shocked to read your comments and wholeheartedly apologize for your experience. Please do drop me a line should you like to take me up on my offer.

Carter

Been to Kemang Icon By Alila? Share your experiences!