“The taste not up to the bill” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Salt Grill by Luke Mangan

Salt Grill by Luke Mangan
JL. MH. Thamrin Kav. 28 - 30 (Between Plaza Indonesia & EX) | Altitude, The Plaza 46th Floor, Jakarta 10350, Indonesia
+62 21 29922448
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 5,452 Restaurants in Jakarta
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: International chef Luke Mangan's Salt grill in Jakarta is a modern Australian restaurant specializing in Australian cuts of beef, fish and sources the freshest available produce possible.
Indonesia
“The taste not up to the bill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

First of all, the place got great view on 46 floor.. You can see all around Jakarta. The staff/waiter and waitresses were great. Very accomodating for taking our pictures, had good knowledge for all menu. But unfortunately thats it.

Everything soooooo expensive. Well, we dont mind expensive meal if the quality is up to it. But here other than nice presentation- except the mashed potatoes and caviar, most menu we had need lots of improvement.

First of all the soup, it need to be served in a small bowl instead of big plate that make it cold in seconds. Lobster bisque is best when its hot, and I dont like the idea i have to finish it in 3second if i want it warm.

The lamb and wagyu was ok.. Caviar was okay but very very expensive. The chicken, it's the worst ever. Hard, no taste, the souce was so bad. Actually all sauce served with all meat were to watery...

Fish with crab and mushroom souce too sweet, I wondered who approved on the recipe.

Mashed potatoes was the only one that taste good.

Dessert the chocolate cake was good, dont bother with creme brulle coconut, really bad.

Over all other than the service, everything just not good enough especially for the price.
I can't recommend people to come to this restaurant. But maybe it's just my taste that different?

Need lots of improvement on taste. Not worth the bill.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Just not worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We ate here on a recommendation from our hotel. We had a great table with an incredible view of the city. (Did I mention it's on the forty something floor?). The service was very good, they were attentive and helpful. This is where the good review ends. The food is OK however it is waaaay overpriced. If you are going to charge $30-$45 US for an entree it has better be plate licking good. The bread was noticeably disappointing and our entrees were fine but nothing extraordinary. (Each of our chops were cooked slightly differently) The cheapest glass of wine was $14. We can certainly find better ways to spend $150 and can get a better version of the same meal for much cheaper. Overall, a real disappointment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Best View but....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Had dinner in this place couple days ago with my friends recommended by one of my other friend who tried Salt Grill before. Came out from the elevator, looked for a while to the other restaurants (Gaia and Enmaru) and I was amazed by the interior design and THE VIEW was stunning! For me, views are better than skye.

Move along, we had table near the window so we could see HI and thamrin clearly. Its an open kitchen so we could barely see all the kitchen staffs and the executive chef as well. Friendly waiter gave the menu then we started to choose the food. I had the famous sydney crab omelette for the entree. As for the main course, well this could be the tiny little problem, I ordered Rib eye medium but they gave me medium-well after 25 minutes of waiting. I asked the waiter to change it and i waited for another 30minutes. Tried it and it was just an ordinary steak like others.

Then we asked for the menu dessert, ordered the signature dish liquorice parfait and passionfruit cheesecake. It was fast for the dessert and i did love both of them especially the cheesecake, it was THE BEST cheesecake i've ever had since I'm a big fan of it.

At the end, I was quite shocked when i saw the bill but it was worthy enough. But then they need to improve the speed of service and quality of food. Will going back for sure.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Good views, some good food and awkward staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Views are really spectacular (Bundaran) but we never discovered the criteria for why some patrons are right away seated with a view and others sort of second row (despite asking for a table with a view and despite a reservation in the otherwise not exactly crowded place).
The food was generally good, especially the meat, but that is what it is about at this place. My carnivorous husband had a steak (don't recall what kind) but according to him, it melted in the mouth and taste was perfect. I had a pork dish, if I recall that correctly it was called crumbed pork, which was ok but then nothing but a very thin and very ordinary crumbed Schnitzel baring a different name.

A shame was the lack of wines from the rather large wine menue. The first three (!) attempted orders of a bottle failed because they didn't have it, of which we only were informed after long searches by the waiter, and only our fourth order was finally succesful. It always drives me nuts if you order something and are only told 15 minutes later that what you chose is not available. Why not tell your waiters ahead what's available that day and what not? And have them pass that information to your patrons.

They have certainly a staff/training issue, as one of the waiters who acted as if he was the chief- sommelier of Jakarta, tried persistently to talk us into the most expensive wines every time he came back to let us know that our choice wasn't available. This is the very opposite of professionell. When a patron chooses a bottle of wine in the range of say 600, you do, as a waiter, not get back to him (three times!) with the bad news that the wine he chose is not available and at the same time offer an "alternative" which costs three or four times that amount, not mentioning the less expensive available choices by purpose. That's a fishmongers attitude in a supposedly fine dining spot. My husband got so annoyed by this chap that we were on the brink of paying our aperitifes and leave.

Apart from that, ambiance is chique and calm. Music was partly too loud to a degree that conversation was impossible. We had to ask staff twice to lower the volume to be able to talk to each other. The place is expensive and I found prices not being really justifyable; but that is unfortunately too often the case in Jakarta. I am sure lease is expensive but this shouldn't be the concern of the patron.

Another aspect we were not too happy with was how they dealt with the fact that I got sick to my stomach right after that dinner, apparently from the scallops I ate. When I wrote them an Email a couple days later letting them know, I received a lukewarm response, mainly stating how seriously they take food safety and hygiene matters, and basically saying that this can not likely come from their food, but not even offering compensation of sorts, nor an apology (apart from "We're sorry to hear..."). Of course I believe that they take good care but things like this do happen, despite best care, and it happened here and I cannot bare the sight, thought or smell of scallops ever since.

The bill containing two aperitifes, two starters, two mains (with the steak being the biggest chunk of the bill, besides the wine), a bottle of red wine (around 700.000 if I am not wrong), two espressi and one dessert came to well over IDR 3 Million. Overall conclusion: husband was lucky (and happy) with what he had on his plate, I wasn't. Service needs urgent improvement. Will we go back? Can't rule it out but not very likely.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jakarta
“Oh, Luke - train your staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We went there for lunch mid week and had the most appalling service - worse than the downstairs food halls at Plaza Indonesia.

We had to hail people for service and our plates (entree and main) were left on my table for over 20 minutes after we finished. Tried to use wifi and there was no signal, then was given the wrong password, then again after 5 people tried it wouldn't work (note that not one of them returned to check if it had worked).

As for the food, well, it was ok. And I mean just OK. I had a crumbed chicken of the lunch menu, which arrived suspiciously quickly and certainly did not taste freshly cooked. Tapas was 7/10. Maybe the kitchen staff don't taste the food during Ramadhan - or perhaps try to precook things for the so-called "cheap" lunch menu.

I know it's Jakarta. I know we don't have a lot to choose from in the high end ... but come on!

OK the fit-out and the view are beautiful - amazing even, albeit with a very strange and pokey toilet design with an odd trompe l'oeuil that makes you bump into the wall. Luke I know your food made you successful - please don't rest on the fit-out.

• Visited July 2013