“Huge and impressive” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Religious Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Indonesia's largest mosque is a sacred place of worship as well as a center for conferences, lectures and seminars.
Big Pine Key, Florida
129 attraction reviews
“Huge and impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had a little bit of trouble getting to the mosque I had no idea how to get there and there were no signs. As I was walking a little old man who worked for the mosque took me in and gave me a tour. He helped me put my shoes somewhere and got me the proper coverings. He then took my around the mosque, it was enormous and really impressive. It had wonderful views of the city and the neighboring cathedral. The room where they prayed was huge and there was so much space I could just imagine this place filled to capacity and it would be awe inspiring. We then walked the grounds where he showed me a great picture point of the mosque. This is where he told me that it was going to be 400,000 idr to pay the workers since the mosque does not get any government funding. In all my life of visiting religious sites I have never paid so much, but what was I to do not pay it, what kind of problems would I have. So as I was leaving he started walking me towards the cathedral and said that as a tour guide he gets 200,000 idr, I was surprised and questioned him. So I paid him and I was not very happy, I am pretty sure I got scammed so if you do get a tour guide for the mosque ask how much before you go any further. What was a spectacular visit to my first mosque was some what dampened by this tour guide and the outrageous price I was charged.

Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madrid, Spain
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

It's not only so big but also so beautiful. The architecture can inspire one who want to build new house in Islamic stylist. The roof and the wall can give motivation to us to always pray seriously to Allah. But bro and sis,.. The poor around the street also remind us to work harder and give the part of them for them, of course. The cathedral in front of it also reminds us...to be wise to others...like our prophet Muhammad, peace bro and sis...don't use the Satan power...fight, war..but use wise, smile, hard work....Let's...
(Note: This experience based on my visit in 2009)

Visited March 2012
Bandung
9 attraction reviews
“Big Mosque”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

A pride of Jakarta People even maybe for Indonesian People. comfortable for pray. but not to big for holy day like Idul Fitri.

Visited January 2013
Enkhuizen
3 attraction reviews
“The biggie in J town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The true identity of Indonesia is spotable in this beautiful mosque. Verry big and a good explanation from the staff on why and how .

Visited November 2012
Cape Town Central, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
“Massive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Worth seeing, just because of its size!
Under construction at the moment but don't be put off by that

Visited December 2012