“Many things went wrong” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 332 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Many things went wrong”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights early in December and here is my overall experience:

Reception: as other reviewers have stated, you would normally have to wait for a while before being attended. the number of staff clearly does not match the number of guests. after a long queue I was informed that the room was not ready which was no wonder because 1 guest just checked out before me and it was 5 in the evening, so how would you prepare the room if it was still occupied by other guests? I have booked a deluxe room with king size bed and was later informed that the room is not available and I had to stay in a twin sharing room which i refused to. Then the manager (Mr.Herman) came to me and informed me that even though I have made the booking online in advance, it is based on availability and I cannot force it. You can go through the hotel terms and condition to find that it was not stated anywhere and it was not my first time staying in a hotel and I very well know what all are based on availability. Preferences like smoking or non smoking, room view or floor are based on availability but not a freaking room type! He even made an insulting comment that I could apply to work there just to know how the hotel works! this was enough to ruin the whole impression. At the end, he finally offered to join the 2 beds which I agreed to.

Concierge: I was expecting a package and called up to ask whether they have it. the attendant who took the call informed me that he has to check first and after a few minutes waiting without being put on hold, he hang up the call without saying a word. Later that day I went to them and asked for the package. They told me they did not receive anything. I was even asked to check the luggage store and the logbook by myself and I could not find it. I was then suggested to call the other Mercure hotel to check whether they have my package which I did right away. While waiting for the confirmation from the other hotel, the concierge came to me and gave me my package, claiming that his colleague forgot to note it down and put it at the store. so it was left unattended at the counter.

Housekeeping: took 2 hours and 4 requests for the housekeeper to finally come to our room and join the bed (from 2 single beds to 1 double bed). Happy to find my room has been made up everyday when I come back from outside though the forgot to replace the hand towels. One morning I asked for an iron and iron board, they delivered me a hot box! They clearly do not understand english very well but they could have asked to clear their doubts.

Room Service: I asked for a cup of milk one morning and after 20 minutes waiting, I called again to ask why it has not been delivered. The attendant admitted that he forgot to note down my room number so in case I did not call back, I would never get it. Even though it was put under the room charge, no bill was presented and I was never asked to sign and same thing happened on the next day but they did show up on the invoice when I checked out.

Spa: massage is good but the timing was screwed. I did a 90 minutes massage and there was a call by the spa reception at the end of it to inform that the time is up. By the time I got that call, the masseuse had not even started with my second leg, upper body and arms. She should have managed how long to spend on each body part so it covers everything.

Taxi: low cost taxi is easily available at any time of the day which is very convenient, but we had been cheated. My boyfriend took a ride to the airport and had been charged 100k for the toll fee, apart from the 100k taxi fare shown on the meter, so he paid 200k in total which is even costlier than a premium taxi. I called up the concierge and demanded an explanation and he put me to the dispatcher who casually explained that the toll fee should be paid by the passenger. This hotel is only 30 minutes away from the airport, no matter which toll you go through, you should not be paying more than 20k for the toll. I asked the dispatcher to give me the details of the taxi so I can make a complain to the taxi company but turned out, they do not list any outgoing taxi. They do not have the taxi number nor the driver name. For a 5 star hotel, this is very poor and unacceptable. Foreigners should be very aware not to be cheated!

Overall: I have stayed in different Accor brands and properties across the globe but this was the least impressive. I would not stay again nor would I recommend it to anyone. If you expect a 5 star experience, better stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Yogyakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Elegant, stylish, comfort.. At the very first time i lost my flight coz i slept so well here.. Hahaha.. The location is very good.. Taking 30 mins to the airport..
It wont take along time to make reservation.. The staff are very warm and helpfull..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Grand Mercure @ Hayam Wuruk in Central Jakarta is a nice hotel, but the rigid system of the parking issue at the front lobby for 5-7 minutes even with a driver in the car is NOT ALLOWED and this makes a lot of trouble for guests whom want to be stopped for a short period like 5-7 minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Salatiga, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

A rather new hotel (little more then 1 year now) with excellent room facilities, great shower and
quick internet (free). It all starts with the friendly reception, in which the welcoming smile of
Riska - one of the (all) friendly staff - made me feel home away from home again, And was followed up by a good service from the concierge.
All necessary aminities are there and above all : worth for the money you pay for this hotel.
Hope they keep up this standard also in busy times. As said: A hotel to come back to.

Room Tip: Take a smoke free room and if you need smoke outside.