“Don't ever stay in this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

The Jayakarta Jakarta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Hayam Wuruk 126,, Jakarta 11180, Indonesia   |
Ranked #167 of 345 Hotels in Jakarta
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Don't ever stay in this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here with my mum due to location near Glodok Area, but very very dissappointed with the room. It;s dirty, moldy, musty and smelly, just name it. I complaint to the front office and they said that they cant do anything since i pay via travel agent. I asked for check out the next day and the Front office manager come to me asked me if i am willing to move to their newer room (which i guess they have renovated), but i refused it. I even can't stand another day in this dirty hotel and will not ever come back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel. Nice, clean, very good located in the center of the city, close to the old town of Jakarta. Nice big rooms, clean bathroom and bedcloths. The hotel is located almost on the main street, just by the corner. On the main street some nice restaurants. The hotel night club has a charming atmosphere. We had some upleasant moments at the payment. The night staff was badly informed about our payment rules. So we had an unpleasant night discussion and the staff was pressed to call the director of the hotel (3.00 a.m.) we had bad experience from the sales staff as well. We asked for some advices about sight seeing of Old Town of Jakarta. We wstayed hehe for the first time, and we didn't know the basic distances. The distance to The old Town was about 400 meters, and they suggested us to use a hotel taxi, which was extreemly expencive. Now I know the place better, so I can come back to the same hotel without any problems - i will survive

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

I think the hotel is very old, the room doesn`t smell fresh. The toilet is dimly lit and there was some unpleasant smells from the piping system (no water trap I guess), i saw no dirts. I paid for a 4 * hotel but last minute it was changed to this hotel. Probably i was short changed by the travel agent!

Stayed May 2008
sutton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

my first visit to jakarta and wanting to be near the old dutch batavia district. this was an excellent hotel, friendly, helpful staff, excellent food, evening entertainment, and pool. i had a massage and it was great. The hotel staff booked 2 excursions for us, one to Sunda kelapa and the cafe batavia and the other to Bogor botanical gardens, a tea plantation and a safari park where we stroked lion cubs and orang outangs.and were photographed with them. The only down side was the area practically a slum and i wouldn't feel safe at night on my own outside the hotel.. however, Bluebird cabs were easy to get and cheap and safe so we spent our evenings at the shopping malls by the Grand Hyatt chilling out. A great hotel and terrific value for money. do visit

• Liked — spacious
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beijing, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

A recent stay for two nights over Christmas 2007 at Jayakarta, Jakarta, for which I paid nothing, was a rather 'strange' experience.

Requesting a non-smoking room, I was given a room where the curtains obviously had not been washed in years and certainly smelled heavily of smoke. Never mind the carpet which was full of all sorts of 'crumbs'.

Most disappointing was the fact that in the evening and early morning there is not hot water. The person who booked the place for me had a lengthy conversation with reception - the hot water is turned off at around 6 pm because there are only few guests and they want to save money. With severe insistence it was turned on again at 8pm that day, raising the temperature from luke warm to bearable. By 11pm it was luke warm again.

The next day, facing the same problem in the evening, I talked to reception myself and was left with the promise to turn it on again - it did not happen.

It should be mentioned that the person who put me into the hotel regularly places many people in the Jayakarta. I certainly did not have the same impact at reception as my contact had. When my contact relayed this problem back to the marketing person in the Jayakarta hotel, we were told they apparently have had not other complaints.

Contrasting, the air-conditioning in the Jayakarta was far to cold for comfort. Sure it had a thermostat control - which had no apparent effect. So the choice was stuffy air or feeling cold. The fact that the drinking water provided in a pitcher tasted as if it was tap water (Jakarta quality which needs long boiling before being drinkable) is minor in comparison.

What to say? Room not well maintained, failing to provide basic service (hot water) and sheer refusal to react to customer requests by reception is more than disappointing.

Oh yes, even if there had been hot water in the evening - taking a bath in the bathtub is not recommended, it's unclean and worn.

Conclusion: Sure I paid nothing and am grateful so I had a great deal. But I would not pay money for it. So, stay away.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Jayakarta Jakarta? Share your experiences!