“Dated, humdrum and Incompetent” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #104 of 331 Hotels in Jakarta
Seoul, South Korea
“Dated, humdrum and Incompetent”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Jakarta seems to be having trouble keeping up with its peers. The halls, rooms and amenities feel tired and dated. Some aspects remind me of hotels back in the 90s, such as the black plastic box televisions and sidetable switches for light control. Shower-spray control was broken, so was the bathtub plug. The room missed its services guide, nor was housekeeping good at doing their job. Worst of all, was perhaps the reception team. I had to extend my stay for one night at the request of my client. I call reception and they say I may want to book through internet to keep the same price or I can simply come down to extend at standard rates. Not wanting to bother with internet, I come down to reception only to hear that that they cannot extend my stay because they are "-10 with room bookings." I guessed they meant they were 10 rooms overbooked. Having to leave immediately for a meeting, I frantically emailed my secretary in another country to book me a nearby hotel. Interestingly enough, 15 minutes later, my secretary is able to book the Crowne Plaza. If I had to offer an example of general incompetence, I would not hesitate to offer my experience at the Crowne Plaza Jakarta. If my secretary thousands of miles away from the hotel can do a better job reserving a room than those working at the hotel onsite, then I doubt that these people know what they're doing. I have made similar requests at countless other hotels and not one hotel made an issue with such a request. There are many aspects about this hotel I could make an issue of, but I think my message is clear, so I'll stop here. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Take a look and see if all the nobs and switches work.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear donSeoul_SouthKorea,

Thank you for your review on the unpleasant service you experienced. We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity to improve our service.
Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually improving the condition and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope the shortcomings you have experienced will not deter you from patronizing Crowne Plaza Jakarta in the future.

On behalf of Crowne Plaza Jakarta Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed there for 3 days 2 nights over the weekend in April 2013, it was partly for work and partly pleasure.

Its location at the down town Jl Gatot Subroto is very easy to reach thru the toll road from the airport. Of course, that street is one of the busiest main street in the capital city, but normally Jakartans drivers know how to get out of the toll road and get into this hotel. 2-3 blocks from the hotel, there is a middle class shopping mall called Plaza Semanggi where we can find fast food restaurants, clothes, supermarket. It's walking distance from the hotel, however, please be careful walking in the busy sidewalks, as the condition may not 100% flat and too many people so just watch your belonging. We can also take taxi to go to Pacific Place, the high class shopping mall across the toll road, where the more fancy restaurants are, including the Ritz Carlton hotel.

The room is enough spacious, we got upgraded thanks to the one of memberships/frequent flyers program. Also thanks to that program, we got free wifi. It is not the most sophisticated hotel room, but with such price and upgrade, it is acceptable.

The food from room service quality is fine. The Indonesian dishes are good, its portion is slightly too big for ladies.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Crowne_Plaza_Jakarta, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Ekristanti,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Our goal is to provide a comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

On behalf of Crowne Plaza Jakarta Management
Makati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 night, checked in and got the room with cracked toilet and cracked bathtub. Asked for another room, but the only available room was the twin bed and smoking room. Decided to stay 1 night and the receptionist said will follow up the next day about the availability, but no follow up at all. Around 1 hour after checked in I have a late lunch meeting at beranda and ordered bebek betutu. Halfway eating the duck, I found a worm in the raw veggie beside the duck. Great!!
The manager came and apologize, then offer us a free desert.
The next day I have meeting in lounge, no problem with the drinks and food.Then I continue meeting with other client at beranda. Since I got a little traumatize with the worm, we only order the drinks and cake. Few sip of orange juice, I found a small cockroach in the orange juice. I already drink that!! Well thats it. I called the manager and he apologize about that and offer us another drinks. Now we order the mineral waters since we are not sure about the hygiene in the kitchen. After finish meeting, I ask the bill and the only charged me for the cake, what a service they have huh. Won't stay here anymore. I'm writing this in my room, thankful that this is the last night I stay here. And yes,I will skip the breakfast tomorrow in beranda. Not really in the mood for another "extra" inside the food there.

Room Tip: If you stay here, make sure you follow up everything that you request. About the cockroach inside my...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear purplish23,

Thank you for leaving a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am truly sorry that this visit was not at par with your liking particularly with the food service that you received. Kindly be assured that we take this matter very seriously and your comments will be used to consider for improvements needed at our facility.

Again, thanks for the feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Pam G
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The pictures here and on other sites are not accurate, the hotel is old and tired. The rooms are very tired with poor quality bathroom fixtures. The television is also very old and small there is no way to view it from the other site of the room. The rooms are large but the furnishings are not up to Crown Plaza standards anywhere I have seen. The staff is nice but they don't make up for the state of the hotel. The hallways have old carpeting that should be changed, they have sent machines in the hall to make them smell nicer but that is needed from the old carpeting and mildew from the humidity in Jakarta. I won't be coming back.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in the breakfast area to speak of. The food simple and OK, but to sit in that h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear CHSBangkok,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you read from other reviewers that the hotel looks very old from outside; yes..it's true. However, once you stepped inside the hotel, you will find a grandeur beautiful lobby and charming. I was thinking to book reward night on CP Jakarta but rather booked their Club Suite since many other reviewers told that the Deluxe rooms are tired.

I was PC Gold on the time I booked the hotel (now Platinum :D ) so I don't expect any upgrades. I booked two Club Suite for my family and requested to be placed nearby. Mr. Indra from reservation is very helpful accommodating my request.

To my surprise, their Club Suite room is really beautiful and luxurious !!! The room is superbly maintained very well and looks new. Probably it is one of the best suite that I've ever had with a bed to die for. The room size is about 75 sqm if I'm not mistaken.

Unlike other hotels in Jakarta who have Club/Premier Lounge which only provide two times refreshments (breakfast and evening cocktails), There are 3 times refreshments in CP Jakarta (breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktails), so you might satisfy your stomach needs all the time. The afternoon tea and evening cocktails are very good, probably one of the best in Jakarta. However, their buffet breakfast is quite average; perhaps it's just not my taste anyway. The breakfast buffet has plenty of Western, Japanese, and Indonesian selections.

I also tried their gym, which is quite huge. At first, it seemed that the area near to the pool and gym are very dated but soon as I entered the gym, actually their gym is quite nice with plenty of equipments.

The location of the hotel is good, on the intersection of Semanggi and near to Plaza Semanggi so if you need to dine within your budget, you could go there by walk.

All in all, it was very good stay. However, I could not comment the deluxe room or other club room since I only stayed at Club Suite. So, if their Club Suite is within your budget, just book it !!! Their 3 times refreshments and the room are highly recommended. But if their Club Suite is not within your budget, you might try to book somewhere else since there are plenty of good hotels within the 1-1.5 Millions IDR budget.

Room Tip: Book their Club Suite if it's within your budget !!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, check in was fast with no hassle. Staff was friendly. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was ok, having sushi on the breakfast menu is a plus point. Room lock was not working, no action taken until duty manager was notified. No iron in the room, called the housekeeping dept and was told they will send it. There was no iron even afetr 20 mins and no called was made to my to notify me. Called the housekkeping dept again and was informed that they were still looking for available iron. Not wanting to be late i check out and left for work after waiting for 40 mins with a wrinkled shirt to office, thanks to housekeeping dept at crowne plaza jakarta.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Alfaruq A,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, we truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Quezon City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The regular room was large, but dated. Flat panel TV was smaller than 32". No robe or ironing facilities in the room. Room lighting was good. One good point was the available power outlet right beside the bed - perfect for charging your phone.
The bathroom was large with a nicely polished floor. But typical of older hotels, there was no separate facility for bath and shower.
The buffet breakfast did nt have as many offerings as other hotels of similar class.
The pool area, gym and spa are literally outside the hotel with no covered access in case it rains.
There is a decent mall with a supermarket right beside the hotel - but the short cut route through the back entrance was quite sketchy.

Room Tip: Choose a non-smoking floor if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear valmun,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Jakarta? Share your experiences!