This hotel made me realise the difference that good staff make to the overall experience of staying in any hotel.
Indeed, it is a very comfortable hotel with many trimmings and extras to take you away from the chaos of travelling within Jakarta as one would expect of this grand hotel of this standing.
Of course it's not cheap, but for what it is, I believe it is of reasonable value. As such, it does seem that many people on business do stay here.
Positive things to note:
1) Excellent and friendly staff who will help you as best they can
2) Spacious and comfortable rooms for a good sleep
3) Free wifi in the rooms (although it can be difficult to get online in the evenings when many people are using it)
4) Very good buffet breakfast with freshly squeezed juices
5) Free use of the well-equipped gym, swimming pool and tennis courts
6) Excellent daily room cleaning
7) Good Japanese and Chinese restaurants within the hotel. Great service with average to very good food.
On the downside:
1) Indonesia has some of the highest rates of smoking per capita in the world, and my major gripe was for this hotel to still have designated smoking areas in restaurant areas. In the main café area, there were times when the fumes would waft across the buffet. Also, allowing children to sit in these areas is, in my opinion, inadvisable which of course it is due to their parents/guardians. The staff working in these areas are also subject to the secondhand smoke too. Alas, it is all due to the society's habits and it is quite common to see this in other Asian countries, but perhaps the Gran Melia could become one of the few to be completely smoke-free and set a new standard in Asian hospitality industry.
2) The shower area was a little bit grubby especially in the corners/hinges (something you wouldn't tend to see in very high end hotels).
3) Occasionally you could hear the call for prayer from the nearby mosque between 5-6am depending on where your room was situated.
4) The tea provided for breakfast is not very good at all (weak with a chemical after taste...not just once but several times). Stick to the coffee.
5) There are very few options for eating outside of the hotel by walking distance. The nearest shopping malls are about 25-30 minutes walk and involves crossing over a few bridges and sidewalks with gaping holes.
It's a very good hotel, with a few misgivings, but the staff make it an excellent refuge from the chaos of Jakarta.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Jakarta Hotel Jakarta
- Gran Melia Jakarta Hotel
- Sol Melia Jakarta
- Jakarta Gran Melia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious hotel is located in the prestigious financial and diplomatic district in the heart of Jakarta, a few minutes from the highway and 30 km from the Soekarno-Hatta international airport. Just 10 minutes from the commercial district, 15 minutes from the National Museum and Presidential Palace and 20 minutes from the nearest golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Sol Melia Hotels and Resorts US, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Gran Melia Jakarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.