“Home Away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta

You added Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. M.H. Thamrin P.O Box 3392, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 345 Hotels in Jakarta
Khatmandu
“Home Away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was probably my fifth or sixth visit and the Jakarta Mandarin Oriental continues to set the standard for superb first class service and hospitality in SE Asia. The rooms are spacious and sumptuous, and the staff, especially the wonderful young ladies of the executive club, seem to anticipate your every need with a friendly and genuine smile. Food is excellent, and I always make good use of the elegant fitness center and spa. The Jakarta Mandarin is my home away from home and I'll keep returning!

Room Tip: All good. I like the views from the higher level rooms looking over Plaza Indo.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is located in the city centre, literally!

It overlooks the circus that represents the heart of the city and where every single protest marches to if there is one in Jakarta.

That is the only down side.

My check-in was as close to perfect. Came in, asked for a big bed in a non smoking room. This was just taken in by the reception staff and she went on to fulfil this. Simultaneously another staff came with a welcome drink and a cold towel to wipe away the heat of the day. Normally at this point one gets the key handed over and that is it. No, not at this property, I was asked to follow and my check-in reception staff walked me to my room and once in the room, handed me my room key. Bags arrived less than 3 minutes later.

I had a deluxe room. It was huge! There was a separate shower and big enough for two spa bath where one could lay in the bath and watch TV through the piped sound.

The bathroom is huge with a double basin plus a dressing table that is lit.

There is a separate walk in wardrobe and a separate toilet from the bathroom.

The bedroom is large and comfortable without being cavernous to get lost in.
A couch and coffee table, a desk and chair make up the rest of the furniture.
The bed is superb and I had a very good couple of nights sleep in it.

Breakfast is a buffet and the selection included Japanese, noodles, congee with condiments, Western selection, Indonesian selection, a great selection of cut fresh fruit.
Each morning I was offered apart from the coffee or tea, a freshly done fruit juice as well!

I guess this is where the hotel excels. All their staff from hotel reception to housekeeping whom I asked to polish my shoes to the breakfast staff, all don't do what we expect of a 5 star, THEY DO JUST THAT LITTLE BIT MORE!

It was hard to find something actually wrong with the property and I will be back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Great location and amazing rooms. All the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. Was in town for business so didn't have much time to check out the facilities, but the room and lobby areas of the hotel were superb. Bed extremely comfortable and rooms spacious. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Bacolod, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks while on business in Jakarta. I stayed in one of the club rooms on the 15th floor which gave access to the club on the 21st floor. I had breakfast daily in the club and also took advantage of the cocktail hour in the evening. The staff were outstanding and in particular, Yeni who looked after me and my business colleagues. I also tried out the hotel's Mo Bar which had a good live band. The hotel is well situated next to the Bundaran HI where there are some shopping malls and restaurants. A good mall within about 10 minutes walk is the Sarinah Mall which has a good selection of local souvenirs. I hope to stay in the Mandarin Oriental again, next time I visit Jakarta.

Room Tip: Get a club room
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had to send a night in Jakarta to catch our flight home and decided to stay in city although I should warn you that traffic in Jakarta can take a few hours so best to catch a flight that doesn't arrive in rush hour if you can. I was expecting quite a standard service as most city hotels do. However the friendly staff really provided us with a great hospitality and made us feel quite welcome similar to small boutique hotels. I would definitely book the hotel in another location I travel to if they have the chain available
It was my bday when we arrived The friendly staff at front desk send me a cake and even a birthday card . Devi from front desk is Amazing:)
Defiantly will stay there again if I go back to Jakarta

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Rooms and location are good. Service is what I would pay extra.

Tried five nights here based on reviews in tripadvisor. No qualms, but will also try other neighboring hotels. Because there is nothing that really entices a must-return.

I like :
- the huge guest room and meeting room and nice spa, but the masseur is rather inexperienced.
- free taxi service between the hotel and the 2 large malls next door. But this service is not publicized unless by personal word of mouth maybe. I happened to ask the concierge for more directions and was told of this service. My counterparts didn't ask and got their own way around to the malls, taking 30 instead of otherwise a 10 minute journey. What would be really first class service if this is either displayed visibly at the concierge, in guest room, or briefed at checkin. Neither being experienced.

Dislikes:
- most staff do not understand English well. The same for those at banquet and concierge. Yet, telling that he does. Hence a request for a box, or a bill or papers, took several reminders until my message got through. The several reminders usually take more than a couple of hours.
- courteous service but REALLY slow.
- Food taste is average because I would have much higher expectations for oriental food in Mandarin or Shangri La.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Only stayed here one night for a layover, but wished it had been longer. From the first greeting at the curb, the staff were all unbelievably friendly and courteous, they couldn't do enough for us. The flower smell in the lobby was fantastic. Our room overlooked the large fountain which was a great view. Room itself was beautiful, nice decor, really comfy bed and pillows, great bathroom and tub. The breakfast buffet was excellent, and the chinese restaurant had fabulous food, the best shrimp dish my husband ever had. Pool and spa also very nice.
Worth spending the extra money to use their car service too and from airport as traffic is ridiculous, and the bus takes hours!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Jakarta? Share your experiences!