“Was reluctant to book but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Convention Center

You added Mercure Convention Center to your Saves list
Mercure Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Pantai Indah | Ancol Jakarta Baycity, Jakarta 14430, Indonesia   |
Ranked #143 of 345 Hotels in Jakarta
Western Australia
“Was reluctant to book but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Fortunately we scored one of the refurbished rooms which was spacious and clean. Bed was hard though. Check in took a long time as computers were down. Cafe expensive. Breakfast reasonable. Don't forget to get a pass from the business centre should you wish to leave Ancol and return in to main gate without paying. Was an ok stay but not flash.

Stayed December 2013
Manager_MarCom, Marketing Communications Manager at Mercure Convention Center, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Madam,

Warmest greetings from Mercure Convention Center, Ancol - Jakarta!

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our apology for any inconvenient situation you have experienced during your stay with us. We will share the feedback with the concerned managers, including about the check-in condition and F&B price concerns for their kind evaluation and improvement.

Once again thank you for your valuable review and hopefully we could welcome you back to our property.

Kindest Regards,

Marketing Communications Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Winchester, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I've been in some very ritzy hotels over the years, including some nice 4- and 5-star places in various parts of Asia. Last year around this same time I was in a 4/5-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur, and for two countries in such close proximity the differences are startling.

Now, I have to start with the positives, and there are some of those to be sure. First off, the location is very good. It's very close to the water and in the Ancol area, meaning there are attractions very close by. The staff are quite friendly and willing to help. I sought currency exchange, and although I did so after their exchange closed they gladly accommodated. I also had issues with the room that they moved promptly to remedy, including a situation where the key cards would open the door but not allow the lights to be turned on. Took about 20 minutes with a technician on a ladder to remedy that problem, and he did so with a smile and friendly words. They had at the ready a map of the area to find something quick to eat, and promptly procured a taxi to take us there as well.

Now, for the not so good. The fact that the room smells musty was an immediate turn-off. In the room there is no iron or ironing board, meaning I'm stuck with wrinkled clothes or additional fees for in-house laundry. The bathrooms are horribly out of date, with toilets that resemble those in truck-stop bathrooms. The shower head leaks almost as much water as it sprays. And as far as the water is concerned, I find it concerning that I cannot have tap water that's safe to drink and must rely on the complementary bottles placed in the room. Granted, they do give the bottles, but in the long run treating the water would be more cost effective.

Internet, although listed as an amenity, was spotty at best, and it kept dropping because the signal was weak.

The AC unit is very old and does not do an adequate job of cooling the room, which was not pre-cooled when I went into it. They also ask that the AC be turned off while I'm out of the room which, for a country where it's hot and humid year-round, is quite the request. It's nice to come back to a cool room when it's warm outside. Add to that the fact that the thermostat is prehistoric. It's a dial that was turned all the way down when I arrived, and I cannot tell if that's the lowest temperature for the AC or not. One vent cools the room and it's not especially powerful.

I guess the real kicker of them all though is that there's a solitary power plug in the whole room, and it's on the complete opposite side of the room from the bed. I use a CPAP and have a laptop that I want to charge. To do so, I'd have to bring my own power strip. Took a look behind the bed, wondering if there's a plug back there, and was quite taken aback at the rat's nest of wires and open boxes. Long story short, I'm sleeping with my head to the bottom of the bed and my CPAP positioned on the floor between the bed and the plug so I can actually use it.

This is nowhere close to what I'd call a four-star experience. The location does not justify the cost, which I'm glad is not an expense to me, particularly as my view is of the lower roof and a bunch of construction cranes. Rooms are between $170 and $225/night, for which one might expect a bit more. I am still at the hotel as my event is just beginning. If anything changes I'll update this review.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Manager_MarCom, Marketing Communications Manager at Mercure Convention Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear BigDaddyDK,

Warmest greetings from Mercure Convention Center, Ancol - Jakarta!

Thank you for the kind feedback. We truly appreciate your positive comments on the friendliness and promptness of our staff here. We surely share this back to them for their motivation to do better than before. We are very sorry that you ran into problems on your first day with us. We have already taken notes of your concern on the room facilities, shower head leaking, internet connection, AC, and also power plug position condition, and have conveyed these to our respective teams for their thorough action.

Our apology as well on the room condition. On the time being our hotel successively is reconstructing in all areas, including the guestrooms, bathrooms, and the facilities in each of the areas for a freshly renovated improvement and for increasing more guest satisfactions.

Once again thank you so much for the kind comment and positive feedback. We do hope you enjoy the rest of your days with us. We wish you a pleasant and successful event. Should you have any inquiry during your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact our Duty Manager at ext. 88058 any convenient time.

Kindest Regards,

Depok, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Although the building is old. But they pay big attention with the maintenance. Good rates, considering the hotel is surrounding by beach, entertainments, restaurants As it is located inside the ancol area.

The staff are really helpful and friendly

The swimming pool is awesome

Its the right hotel to bring family and kids, kids will love it.

Overall, it was great to stay there. Will be coming back.. Especially for new year's eve.. :)

Stayed November 2013
Manager_MarCom, Marketing Communications Manager at Mercure Convention Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Mrs. Fauzia B,

Warmest greetings from Mercure Convention Center, Ancol - Jakarta!

Thank you so much for your kind comment and we are pleased to read that you had such a positive impression of our hotel on your recent stay. Your comments motivate our staff to deliver a better service even more. Thank you so much for your plan to come and stay here for the New Year Eve. Please see our website: www.mercure.com/5473 for further information on the special package offer.

Should you have any inquiry or further information needed, please contact us at 62-21-6406000 / 7000 at any convenient time. We will be more than delighted to assist you and your family.

Once again thank you so much for sharing the wonderful experience with us. Truly look forward to your next coming to your second home here.

Sincerely yours,

Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Check-in staff were not prepared for the busy arrivals of guests checking in during the Iedul Adha long weekend, long queues for check-in (although it's close to 2PM already-I am aware check-in time is 2PM, so should have had more counters open). Many rooms were not ready by 2PM as per the hotel's check-in policy. I had to wait 1,5 hours for my 2 rooms to be ready (I had a baby niece who needed nursing)-it seemed there were poor coordinations between check-in desk, reservation and housekeeping teams. Poor conditions of rooms, everything is old.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Manager_MarCom, Marketing Communications Manager at Mercure Convention Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Mita N,

Warmest greetings from Mercure Convention Center, Ancol - Jakarta!

Our apology for the difficulty you encountered during the check-in process with us. For your kind information our check-in time is actually from 2PM, the aim is to make sure the rooms will be properly ready used by the next guest. However, we have taken notes on this to our Front Office Dept Head and Team for their review, including your concern on the staff coordination for the room readiness and promptness.

Our apology as well on the room condition. For the time being our hotel is reconstructing in all areas consecutively, including the guestrooms and the facilities in the rooms for a freshly renovated improvement and for increasing more guests satisfaction.

Marketing Communications Manager

Been to Mercure Convention Center? Share your experiences!