“Good business hotel, not so good food, no free internet” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza to your Saves list
InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. Jend. Sudirman Kav 10 - 11, Jakarta 10220, Indonesia (Tanah Abang)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 309 hotels in Jakarta
Manila, Philippines
“Good business hotel, not so good food, no free internet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good:
- convenient location in the business district, quiet too
- beds nice and firm, sheets were nice and soft, different types of pillows to choose from.
- rooms seem to have been recently renovated, felt nice and clean, nice big 42" TV, as well as ipod dock.
- next door to small shopping mall, so gives you options for dining out, but nothing compared to the other major shopping malls in jakarta
- nice, well-equipped gym
- staff are great, very helpful and accommodating

Bad:
- NO FREE INTERNET - this should already be part of the room charge, I was asked to pay an additional $10 per day for internet access
- There was a wide selection of choices for breakfast, mainly indonesian, western options including an omelette and waffle station, a japanese station,and a chinese dimsum station. They also have a good selection of bread, cereals and fruits, as well as espressos and lattes. However, I was not impressed with the taste and quality of the food.
- I had dinner in both the lobby and java restaturant, food was not so good
- Towels were tired and threadbare.
- nothing much to do in Jakarta but go to one of the shopping malls. This hotel is not close to any of the major ones, which means having to jump into a taxi to go to places like plaza indonesia, pacific place, etc.
- there is a video in the inhouse channel about how the concierge can help you plan a visit to the various sights in jakarta. i went to the concierge, but i was just given a tour brochure.
- walking back from the sudirman citywalk mall to the hotel is a pain, because the pedestrian entrance is at the opposite end of the hotel property. They should make it easier for guests to walk to and from the shopping mall next door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterConJakarta, Customer Care at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear HappyHomemaker,

Thank you for your recent stay at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza.

First of all, we are delighted that you had found our facilities to your liking and found our employees great. Actually the hotel location is strategically located in the Central Business Distirct and close to entertainment arrays.

We had forwarded your comments to our culinary team in regards to the quality and taste of food in Lobby Lounge and Java Restaurant and will ensure to improve the quality and taste of our food. Please also be aware that we are starting to renovate our Java Restaurant. After the renovation we will offer a complete new dining experience.

In regards to your internet comment please be advised that our hotel will be become WIFI free from 2013 onwards in Pubic areas and from our Premier room type onwards.

We sincere apologies of our concierge team service. The staff concerned has been counseled and corrective training has been put into place to avoid such lapse in the future.

The hotel priority the safety of our guests, the hotel has only one entrance for pedestrians to enter the hotel which is located near to the car entrance.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and letting us know your feedback. We hope that InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza will be your preferred choice for accommodation on your return trips to Jakarta.

446 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here by accident, because I'm an idiot, and in my haste while booking online I looked at the aerial picture of the hotel, thought "That's the one I loved last time!" and booked it on the spot - no refunds, no cancellations. It was supposed to be the Grand Hyatt. (see my other review, if you even vaguely care...)

No need to kick myself too hard though. The Intercon is a lovely hotel, and actually beats the Hyatt in a couple of fundamental areas:

For business:
- It has a large, spacious and blessedly quiet lobby, which is brilliant for small business meetings (unlike the Hyatt where the waterfall is so noisy that conducting business can be difficult). The staff in the lobby bar area are Out-Stand-Ing - friendly, efficient and polite without ever being intrusive - big kudos to their manager.
- business centre is well equipped if you have any last minute printing etc to do
- staff on reception and concierge are excellent at receiving any incoming deliveries etc (duties are normally payable, and they will liaise with the courier companies on your behalf)

For recreation:
- The spa is pleasant, and large - men and women separated for all facilities except gym - and attached to a very good gymnasium (with memberships available to locals, I believe, so well maintained and well equipped).
- pool is large and attractive.
- Java restaurant does breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I had each and they were generally excellent (the Asian food is infintely better than the Western food, especially the Italian, where my packet pasta was not great.)

General:
- free wi-fi, depending on your room rate. Hallelujiah.
- It's in Central Jakarta, so the location is fine - if you take a car service from the airport it will be about Rp240,000 (about USD$25) and about an hour, depending on the traffic.
- room cleaning and general staff are friendly and attentive

But...

- The rooms are just OK. The climate control in mine was obviously geared for someone who hates heat - it was just freezing, and nothing I (or the guy who clearned my room) seemed to do could change it. I can live with this, but others might hate it. (Good pillow menu, however...)
- It's next door to the mid-town Plaza, which is really more office than retail, and which doesn't offer much in terms of attraction. The Hyatt is next to a giant retail complex which offers a much greater choice of shops, restaurants and cafes, bars, supermarket etc etc.
- while the spa is good, it's annoying to roll up in the morning wanting to use the spa and steam room (the dust and pollution play havoc with my sinuses, PLUS MY ROOM DIDN'T HAVE A BATH!!) only to find that although the place has been open since 6am, no-one's bothered to turn the steam on.

In short, this is a really good hotel, and if your business means that people come to your hotel to have meetings with you, it's the best I've seen in Jakarta. On the business side, it wins. On the leisure side, it's a little way behind.

ps if coming to Jakarta for the first time and applying for visa on arrival, remember to bring USD$25 cash.

Room Tip: Choose smoking or non-smoking when you book.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterConJakarta, Customer Care at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear peekay68,

Thank you for your recent stay at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza. We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our facilities and the service provided by our employees. Thank you for your compliment regarding the services from our colleague.

We sincerely apologise for the shortfall of service you experienced in regards air condition in your room as well as the steam room. We have discussed this with our Chief Engineer and SPA InterContinental Manager in order to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

We have noted that your preference is having a bathtub in the room, take advantage of our Club InterContinental offer for your next visit, where an elegant en-suite bathroom features a separate bathtub and shower.

In regards to entertainment the Citywalk mall located adjacent to the hotel is a great place to unwind for wider choices of restaurants.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and letting us know your feedback.

We certainly hope that InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza will be your preferred choice for accommodation on your return trips to Jakarta.

Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I thought I would spend1 night staying at the luxury Intercontinental Hotel in Jakarta during a business trip.
What a mistake! I ate at the restaurant that night and had tomato basil soup,which tasted like it was out of a can. And it came with olive tapenade and some sort of cheese toast. I also has an Intercontinental salad which looked like it was put together by the waiter.
It was all very ordinary. But I was tired and it was getting late so I ate it, went for a walk and the retired to my room. The room was nice but no free Internet.
At approximately 2.30am I woke up with hot & cold sweats. I tossed and turned and by 7am I had slightly soiled the bed with UN-controllable Bowell movements. I called the duty manager at around 8am. I told her I had gotten food poisoning at the hotel restaurant She appeared in my room with the head chef and someone else denying everything, in the name of finding out where it may havecomefrom but at the same time sympathetic to my condition and arranged a doctor who arrived at around 9am to give me some anti-biotics.
Which stabilized me and allowed me to continue on my journey at around 3pm. Thank fully they gave me a late check out. It took a week to fully recover.
I asked for my money back for the doctor's fees and food that had poisoned me. She denied it was caused by the hotel food and said we have to do tests to confirm it came from our restaurant.
I am a priority rewards gold member of this chain and was treated like a liability. They saw me as potential Bad PR for the brand and were engaged in damage control. Well I will not stay there again. And I will rethink my loyalty to this chain of hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room don't eat at the hotel if you must stay there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterConJakarta, Customer Care at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Surfweb,

Thank you for your recent stay and bringing to our attention the incident that you have encountered during your last visit to our hotel.

Our sincere apologies for these inconveniences that you had faced. This incident you had encountered is certainly not the usual high standards of our hotel.

We have apprised fully of the incidents during your stay and we are still awaiting the results of the food sample examination, which once received, we would be corresponding separately with you.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and we sincerely hope that you would accept our sincere apologies. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose InterContinental Hotels Group for your future travel needs so that we may have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I travel widely on business and just occasionally a hotel exceeds expectation. Upgraded which was a bonus. Great hotel, accommodating staff and superb breakfast. Very comfortable and has all the facilities one could need. Jakarta has an extraordinary traffic problem but this hotel at least is a good place to escape from it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InterConJakarta, Customer Care at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear AandAW,

Thank you for your positive review on our hotel and your continuous patronage. We are delighted to receive compliments in regards to our employees, breakfast and facilities.

The hotel location is certainly one of our hotel strength, which is strategically located.

Once again, thank you for taking the time and letting us know your feedback.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located at central business distric of jakarta. It's also near with many shopping mall but traffic jam is very awful. Therefore, It is fit for business purpose rather than family vacation. Their room quality is very good. Comfort and cozy. The best thing in this hotel is breakfast menu. Many different menus are ready to be tasted, such as indonesian menu, western menu, japanese menu, and so on.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Toro W,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are very happy to receive your compliments over our facilities and the breakfast menu.

It is certainly one of our hotel strength that we are conveniently located within the pulse of the city’s thriving central business, commercial district and in close proximity to an array of entertainment possibilities.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is simply a great hotel. There is nothing I didn't like. The location is a little bit of trouble due to the unbelievable Jakarta traffic and it's a bit distant from anywhere but that being said most hotels are.

The rooms were not new but very nice. Everything you could possibly want and more. The staff were outstanding. I had access to the the club lounge which I used extensively and the staff were amazing there.

If you are a 5-star hotel person you will love this hotel. I highly recommend it.

If security is a concern the Intercon has good security (for me I feel like I'm entering a prison) but for some people I know security is a concern. Not so much for me.

Worth staying here.

Dear AsiaRoadWarrior,

Thank you for your recent stay and recommending our hotel. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with our level of service and quality of rooms.

In order to provide a safe and secure environment we take security seriously for our guest at all times.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Salatiga, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

it was my 4th times staying in this beautiful hotel. I always feel comfortable in this hotel.
Fast check in
Housekeeping staffs in this hotel always make fast responses
Your privacy is prioritized by this hotel

Breakfast :
Very good croissants, you could find wholewheat croissants,
various kind of raw honey,
dim sum was very ok

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
InterConJakarta, Customer Care at InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Junsurya,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback and your continuous patronage towards InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza.

We are glad that the breakfast was to your liking and you also had a comfortable stay. Most of all, thank you for your compliments over our attentive Housekeeping team.

We hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza

Been to InterContinental Jakarta MidPlaza? Share your experiences!