“A discreet luxury hideout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta

You added Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta to your Saves list
Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. MH. Thamrin Kav. 15, Jakarta 10350, Indonesia (Menteng)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Take your stay further!
Ranked #6 of 332 Hotels in Jakarta
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A discreet luxury hideout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This must be one of the quietest luxury hotels in Jakarta. The entrance lobby is elegant and staff outnumber guests. All corridors are narrow, adding to the ambience of discreetness. If one is planning an illicit rendezvous, this must be the place!

The Deluxe King which I occupied is large and modern in design. The Wow factor is certainly there. The bedroom has a comfortable sitting area and a good working desk. The bathroom is beautifully designed.

One only realises that there are others staying in the property during breakfast at the Bengawan restaurant. I also had dinner there. Whilst the interior of the restaurant is in keeping with the modern discreet elegance of the rest of the hotel, the quality of the cuisine is average and below expectation to the surroundings and prices. Service by well uniformed staff is also below par. Management needs to invest in more time training them to understand requests and be more attentive

A major disappointment is the intermittent and slow wifi. Notwithstanding that its "free", Its not acceptable in a new hotel which is pricing itself at the top.

Yes, definitely worth a revisit, but if wifi service and restaurant staff do not improve, then unless one is planning a Mr & Mrs Smith, maybe not

Room Tip: Higher floor is preferred
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IvanWidarmana, Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Siglo,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to put your comment under Trip Advisor.
We are enchanted to know that in most aspects you were gratified with the hotel product and design.
I am concerned and deeply apologetic to know that the wireless connection in your room was very poor that has created an inconvenience. At the moment we are in the process to upgrading the internet connection thoroughly.
Your comments are taken very seriously and I assure you that remedial training and teaching will be given to our team members to further impeccable service in the restaurant.

Thank you once again for your comments, I look forward to hearing from you soon and please let me know should your travel bring you to Jakarta as I would like to personally meet and discuss with you areas that we could do better.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Honestly, we were going to stay at the Grand Hyatt next door but it was full so we tried this hotel and it turned out to be a truly pleasant surprised.

We were greeted by the concierge and checked in was fast and easy. We stayed on various floors and mine was on the 10th floor. It's contemporary, spacious and nicely decor. Bathroom is well equipped with all toiletries and is spacious with bathtub, shower and if you want sunlight, there's a panel which you can open and it's actually the back-wall of the king size bed (see pictures). The only comment is the rain shower is not a powerful enough. The work station has a small TV and Bose sound system to connect to your iPhone or iPod. The shades are all electronically controlled but at night the lighting is really nice. My colleague stayed at next door but unfortunately he had to change room because there was a crack at the window so the wind sound gets really loud and they needed to fix it.

The mini bar station is stocked with more than plenty of drinks, snacks and a Nespresso machine with capsules. The dining area is on the 7th floor. It's not a big area but It is more than sufficient and offers variety of local and international cuisines. The lobby bar is nice and quiet. I just read others' comment about it's far away and quiet but that's the beauty of this place in my opinion. It is nice and quiet but if you walk from the connected corridor, which takes about 1 minute, it will connect you to a massive shopping mall which have tons of local and international restaurants and top brands. After a day of madness at work and the traffic jamssss, we settled down with a drink at the lobby bar, it was the best!

All the staff were excellent and not overly attentive (sometimes butler can be bothering!). The Hotel Manager Ivan was always helpful and accommodating. So, all in all, I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
IvanWidarmana, Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear J K,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to fill up this review.
We are enchanted to know that in most aspects you were gratified with the service delivered by our ambassadors.
I regret to know that the rain shower in your room was not enough pressure that has created an inconvenience.
We would surely follow up on your comment as to believing that it is only making us close to an impeccable service for all our global explorers.

Again, thank you for your comment and I hope that your next visit to us will not be too long in the making as we are all looking forward to welcoming you home to Keraton at The Plaza.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Keraton a couple of months ago and being a Platinum SPG member, was treated to a very nice suite. As many of the guests had already mentioned, the hotel is a bit on the quiet side in terms of ambiance which some travelers may like while others find boring. There was quite a bit of renovation going on that went well into the night, so much so that it actually woke me up a couple of times. On the positive side the room was spacious and well appointed, staff was generally friendly, and the breakfast was excellent. So overall I had a nice stay.

My biggest issue with the hotel has stemmed from my (non) interactions with their sales/marketing function since my stay. I am in the process of planning my upcoming trip back to Jakarta next week and given the frequency of trips I have planned both for myself and my staff in the coming months, I thought I would find out what corporate rates they can offer. Easier said than done! I called the hotel and after asking to speak with their sales manager, was put on hold forever until I hung up. Then I sent an email to their hotel email address asking for corporate rate information and guess what, no reply either. I am not sure why a new hotel that is trying to drum up business would have such a glaring deficiency in its sales & marketing function. Needless to say for my trip next week I have made a booking at another nearby hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IvanWidarmana, Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Peter H,

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for taking the time to give your review upon your stay.
I regret to know that our Sales team hasn't got back to you that has created an inconvenience for your next trip.

Once again, I thank you for your valuable review, and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you back for your returned stay with us.

Your sincerely,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoy my stay here, location, facilities, and overal value of my stay is perfect, the facilities in the room is modern with combination of tradional art.
Swiming Pool is amazing and my wife enjoyed the pool so much.
Thank you for all friendly staff and show warm hospitality during my stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Adhievedder,
Thank you very much for your beautiful review, I think everyone at Keraton at The Plaza will join me in saying it was a pleasure to look after you and your wife.

I can assure you that your words will be passed on to everyone here. We are all very proud of the hotel and your comments serve as encouragement to us all.

With best regards,

Wash, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I think the two main reasons to book here are the location (Plaza Indonesia is very convenient) and the large, generally well-designed rooms and suites. Service and overall ambiance is somewhat lacking.

First, the positive: the rooms and hotel in general are beautiful. They are modern, stylish, large and well-designed (although some of the finishes are surprisingly cheap upon closer look (ie. plastic bath tub) and the construction appears a bit shoddy). Nevertheless, very nice, with good amenities that every high-end should offer (iPod dock, Nepresso coffee).

I thought the food in the restaurant was quite good. I was literally the only person in there on a couple occasions.

What were the issues? Primarily, the staff, while friendly, is just not ready for prime time. Yes, there are too many staff doing nothing, although that is fairly typical. It took me 30 mins to get a small presentation printed and copied. It was as if no one there in the "business center" had actually used the printer before (this experience was somewhat representative: beautiful iMacs, very nice room, but not functional when needed). No taxis available when I needed to go to a meeting (as opposed to most other high-end hotels where they are available on call, I had to wait more than 20 mins. If I had just walked over to Hyatt it would have been faster). They smile and say yes but don't really seem to be trained to actually meet customer needs. No sense of urgency. Not acceptable at this price level.

As others have mentioned, the hotel is extremely quiet, almost eerily dead... beyond the 10 staff roaming about the lobby, that is. This is fine, just know that if you are looking for something with more activity. Otherwise it is a nice quiet place.

There is only one restaurant, and while good, could get old if a longer stay (although there are plenty of options in Plaza Indo and surrounding area). The gym is woefully small and inadequate for a hotel in this price range.

Finally, I was repeatedly ignored by the sales manager on site, both after a personal meeting and in email follow-ups. Don't really understand this as it seems like they should be encouraging repeat corporate business.

Potential is here but need to step it up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IvanWidarmana, Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear dcJ34,

Thank you very much for your letter, highlighting the problems encountered during your stay with us here at Keraton at The Plaza. We do like to receive constructive comments from our guests, and we value such feedback positively, as it enables us to monitor that we are providing the level of facilities and services that our guests deserve and expect.

I was very concerned to read your comments and I apologise for the embarrassment caused to you on your stay. It is definitely not our intention to make any of our customers feel inferior in anyway. It was a shame that some points are missed and have caused to an inconvenience. Please accept our sincere and profuse apologies for this lapse in our attention., but please be rest assured that our hotel credit policy is strictly adhered to at all times.

I trust that our Sales team has got back to you, however please feel free to contact me directly should you require my hand. I would be more than happy to assist you.

dcJ34, we would like the opportunity to prove to you that we can meet and exceed your expectations and provide services and facilities of the highest order. It would be our pleasure to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our Junior Suites during your next stay. I would appreciate if you could contact my office directly, in order that I can give it my fullest attention and make the necessary arrangements.

Thank you once again for your comments and I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you back to Keraton at The Plaza.

Yours sincerely,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Still in it's soft-opening phase, Karaton tries hard to please. Service, location and breakfast are excellent. However the rooms feel like frigid offices with beds added. Yes the rooms have plenty of great amenities: stereo music systems, nice views, automatic window shades, enormous bathrooms, espresso machines, etc. However the decor and furniture are cheap and tasteless, making the rooms feel like cookie-cutter offices. The indoor pool is small and the outdoor pools is just for wading -- and both areas have no charm whatsoever. (Compare to neighboring Grand Hyatt, a true urban oasis.) Located behind a tall, electronic gate this hotel was designed to feel exclusive. But inviting and cozy it isn't. Note: As of September 2012 the spa is not yet open.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IvanWidarmana, Manager at Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear raherold,

Thank you for taking your time to post your constructive feedback towards your stay with us recently.

Having learnt that your stay did not meet your expectation, we do apologize for that.
I will personally review all the points that you have mentioned, and will look into ways of fine-tuning our services and standards. Thank you once again for your feedback

Please let me know in person should your travel plan bring you to Jakarta, I would be more than happy to assist.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed here for 2nd time. It was very much improved this time. Room's cleanliness was not an issue this time but the outdoor glass window was still dirty. Food was relatively okay with enough variety. Great people with great service...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear GeorgeSingapore,

Thank you very much for coming back to us as well as your continuous positive yet constructive review which I believe will bring us to the utmost service we could deliver to every global explorer.

I look forward to welcoming you back personally should your travel plan bring you to Keraton at The Plaza.

Hotel Manager

Been to Keraton at The Plaza, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Jakarta? Share your experiences!