“Great hotel, great rooms and facilities and professional staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morrissey

Save Saved
You added Morrissey to your Saves list
Morrissey
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan KH. Wahid Hasyim No. 70 | Menteng, Jakarta 10340, Indonesia (Formerly Citadines Quartier Jakarta)   |
Offers & Announcements
Eid Al Fitr
Ranked #23 of 309 hotels in Jakarta
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great rooms and facilities and professional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed here at the end of my travels and opted for a bit of luxury, I was so impressed. Loved the rooms, comes with a kitchen, double bed, plasma felt as if it was my own apartment. The swimming pool was lovely and i was so relaxed. Staff were great and helpful, the only negative was expensive food. But nevertheless, I would stay there again. Loved it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

OK, let's start with the positives, in no particular order, just as they occur to me:

Location. Very central and if you know your way around Jakarta better than a Blue Bird taxi driver you won't get snarled up in the Wahid Hasyim traffic like they seem to enjoy doing. It's close to a lot of mid-range restaurants, close to Sarinah, Jakarta's original department store and worth a visit even though it's a little shabby these days, and Mrs R's Jakarta office is easily accessible so a major plus.

Price. Very reasonable. Wife negotiated 2 nights in a studio executive while we were both staying at IDR975,000 per night, then after I had left she was moving to a studio at a special Ramadhan rate of IDR1.8m for 3 nights (her company appreciates her thrift, I'd rather they were still shelling out for the Mulia but austerity rules these days). This cunning ploy would come back and bite her as we shall see later.

Room. More than acceptable. Good size, everything you need. Nice little kitchenette if you felt so inclined. Some might sniff at the absence of wifi but I use the laptop at the desk and the use the bed for something altogether more interesting than messing about on Facebook...

Amenities. Breakfast is limited but perfectly adequate. I find the temptation from some hotel buffets overwhelming and I end up stuffing myself like a babi kecil and then feel bloated all day. Here I found fine, tea, juice, toast, just what I wanted.

Pool. Quite pleasant, if a little barren. It's well shaded so the water is quite cool (I know it's all relative, as a kid I swam off Felixstowe and that's real cold for you!), and overall a nice area to sit and read a book. So I did.

Restaurant. Ocha and Bella is only franchised to the hotel so perhaps it's unfair to add it, but it's a great Italian restaurant where you will need to book for dinner. The chefs appear to be Italian which is always a good sight in the kitchen.

Decor. Loved it. Funky, eclectic. I loved the 50s and 60s sideboards, radiograms and other knick-knacks. Someone's obviously been down Jl Surabaya!

Negatives.

Front desk staff. Hopeless. Mrs R stayed here a month back and while we had both stayed at the Mulia on our own dollar for the weekend she had a week's work to do here so on grounds of cost, she looked around and found this place from the internet. We actually came on the Saturday and looked at the various rooms on offer, and there and then booked a studio for the week. We arrived on the Sunday and they had no trace of her booking and nervous titters was all the lass on the desk could offer. Eventually it was sorted but only after a lot of faffing around. This time, as mentioned, we made two bookings and on the Tuesday we tried to check out and back in to her new room, to be told (by the same lass it must be said) there were no no-smoking studio rooms available. Some back and forth between the missus and the lass which was going nowhere so I cut in and asked to the see the manager. Lass makes a phone call and it got sorted. This is just not good enough and needs to be addressed.

Smoking. Out of 8 floors, only one is non-smoking so there is a good chance there won't be a non-smoking room available. On the 5th floor there is a "sky garden" which we investigated however as we stepped out of the lift the stench of stale smoke almost drove us back in. Smoking is not allowed in the breakfast area but Indonesian guests are too ignorant to care and the staff too scared to stop them. Mrs R also noticed someone had been smoking on the non-smoking floor on her last visit. A major negative here.

Noise. OK, I know we were here during Ramadhan. I lived in Jakarta for 4 years before I moved to Singapore and I am / was used to the Mosques but the one down Jl Jaksa was just outrageous. Mrs R is in fact a Muslim and even she felt it was a bit much. The hotel really needs better double glazing - actually "some" double glazing would be a help. Even being at the front away from the Mosque is not that much better as the road noise is pretty full on.

Overall - would I come back? Probably not. I don't like the smoking everywhere, I don't like the disturbed sleep and I really don't want to have to fight the front desk to get into my room.

Room Tip: If I knew how, I would have done!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The location I will say is safe & near to strategic as you need abt 7-8 minutes to walk to the central (complexes) & 25min to-from airport (bluebird taxi - abt IDR110,000) & 20min walking to national monument + national museum. Nearby the hotel got some signature restaurants like Nyonya, Italian, shabu-shabu......there are 2 convenient stores & 1 pharmacy nearby

talking about room, yes...it s just as same as the photos shown in the official website, modern yet simple for the decoration. The kitchen is same yet complete with electric stove top, refrigerator, kitchenware etc.....the TV is the best, about 50 international channels...

hotel facilities, yes....it was good for me as only me & my mate went to gym & swimming pool for 2 days continuously, nobody was there to enjoy it. Swimming pool is clean & the water is super cold, beware of not to get cold as it is quite windy at level 6. Laundry is free but you need to queue up if somebody using it (only 2 washing machines). Breakfast is simple, it is mixed with local & American style. Lobby, you can get a map before you go out, & there are some interesting books to read there.

Sleeping...some reviews stated the noise from the mosque, yes it does for every 3-4am..however it really doesnt affect me as I fell asleep again after 10sec (i am a heavy sleeper)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
downtownblue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

The first moment our taxi drove up, my colleagues and I were worried. We were told that we were staying at the Citadines and we were pulling into the swanky driveway of the Morrissey. We only later found out, after thinking we were being driven into a much more expensive hotel, that this *was* the Citadines. Renovated and rebranded as the Morrissey, the place was quite nice. The studio/apartment rooms were decently appointed but a little bare--don't expect all the accoutrement. The rooms were a fashionable mashup of what you would find in a standard motel in the US or Europe but lovelier to look at. The minimalist-common areas, however, could have been in a contemporary four-star place anywhere in the world--think W, but minimalist. The complementary breakfast was a nice plus.

This place is CERTAINLY worth the US$80 rate.

The downsides: No wireless internet in the rooms, only wired or wifi in the lobby. Coffee for breakfast is free but expresso isn't. Though the price isn't much, why not just have it complementary as the staff just seemed bored behind the counter? Also, being taller, you hear the call to prayers from all sides of the building. At first, it's a nice welcome to the place, until the 90+ minute soundtrack every night from a dozen or so mosques. The first call is pre-sunrise but it's only one mosque. The rest seem to understand people are still asleep.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011 via mobile

Was staying at Citadines in January. Was back again yesterday. Had a big surprise. It is now called Morrissey. Cool name. Seems lots of better things done in the hotel. Breakfast is wonderful now!!! Love the salads and hot foods. Heard from the staff that room slippers, bathrobes and room toiletries will be standard in every room. Way to go Morrissey.

Love this place even more!!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Loved the Citadines Quartier!
This was the highlight of Jakarta! This hotel is modern, stylish, central, we liked it so much that we stayed also an additional night on the way back to Europe on our last day in Indonesia. The staff were extremely nice and welcoming plus this hotel has an amazing rood pool with a fantastic view over the city...
Happy to recommend it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

This has got to be the best hotel I've stayed in my life! It's has got so much character to it; from the moment you step into the lobby that is adorned with antiquities from a vintage BMW bike to an old gramophone, radios and a library of old Dutch books! The furnishings itself complement the theme so well.

The room is reminiscent of a New York-style industrial themed apartment; where once-thought brutal materials such as a brick wall and concrete slabs are turned into interior decor highlights. This is complemented by modern and chic furnishings and a little kitchenette.

The property is a stone's throw away to the opulent shopping megaplexes that characterise the quintessential Jakarta lifestyle. If you need a supermarket, Hero (now owned by the people behind ThreeSixty and Wellcome) is just steps away. Also, be sure to pay a visit to the Khong Guan/Serena confectionery wholesale centre that sells old-fashioned colonial-style cookies of days bygone.

Walk towards Permata Bank to the left from the entrance of Citadines and you will find this bakery called Taka Bakery that sells confectionery of all kinds which are perfect for storage in the apartment's fridge and/or pantry.

All-in-all, a great place to stay and/or live (where applicable)! Also to note: the staff have this very personal touch when it comes to corresponding with you as they will personalise an email to you. Also, the General Manager of the hotel personally sent an email to me to inform me that he has received my survey input and the steps he had taken to improve the areas concerned.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Morrissey? Share your experiences!