“Hotel Indonesia Kempinski” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indonesia Kempinski

You added Hotel Indonesia Kempinski to your Saves list
Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. MH Thamrin No.1, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia (Menteng)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 332 Hotels in Jakarta
dekhi
“Hotel Indonesia Kempinski”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

It is a 5 star hotel and it is huge, stylish, and friendly:anywhere you go you are being greeted by another friendly face of staff passing by (or staff just standing around waiting to assist you)very nice rooms and i had a great stay........................................

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Opened in 1962 as the first 5 star hotel in the country, this place is a legend and an institution. Throughout its 50 years it must have gone through a few renovations, the rooms are large, modern and well appointed. Staff is well trained and cordial. The breakfast buffet is huge and tasteful with local and international foods. The spa offers some of the best massages anywhere. No complaint whatsoever. There are other highly rated hotels today with higher ratings, but how often can say that you just stayed at a legend?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My initial impression was that the hotel is huge, stylish, and friendly: You hardly walk more than 20 paces anywhere without being greeted by another friendly face of staff passing by (or staff just standing around waiting to assist you). This is the only hotel ever where I have actually lost my way and had to ask the staff for directions (maybe I was a bit switched off after the journey, but still). If you get lost, do not worry, while you find your way back again there is plenty to watch and explore.

In fact, my really first impression was the high security, where my limousine class airport taxi (arranged by the hotel) arrived at the compound of the hotel, as the security check reminded me of that I have seen on TV when people arrive at Pentagon (checking the trunk, mirrors to check under the car, etc.). If this security is over the top, or generally required in Jakarta I cannot say, as it was my first time there, and have not experienced anything like this as a long term expat in Kuala Lumpur, and other countries in Southeast Asia.

The hotel is connected to a large shopping mall via a passage way. The mall has many restaurants, (I believe) every fast food outlet you can imagine, cinema, and all known branded worldwide shops I can think of. You can easily spend a rainy day there without getting bored.

On the 17th floor of the hotel there is a roof top garden with pools, fountains, and a drinks and snacks bar. There is a lovely view from the terrace, where you can see most parts of the city. There is also a fitness centre attached to the terrace.

The room is larger than normal, with a large comfortable (king size) bed, and an office desk in one of the corners. It is tastefully decorated throughout and gives a feeling of freshness and comfort. The room has got a safe where you can put your (small) valuables, and there is a reasonable amount of storage for your clothes and personal items.

The bathroom is excellently decorated, with hand basin, shower cubicle (with the largest shower head I have ever seen), bathtub, and a high tech toilet for all your intimate comfort needs.

If you are like me, not interested in exploring all the restaurants in the shopping mall, the hotel has got several really good restaurants. I went to the Italian restaurant for dinner one evening, which was an excellent experience and is highly recommended. As I arrived late the first evening, I went to The Lounge for a snack, and had an equally good experience there with a (simple but good) Caesar salad. The breakfast restaurant serves as a buffet restaurant in the evening, with a large selection of local and international food, which all looked and smelled very good (I did not eat more than a fraction of all that was available). The breakfast had the best assortment I have ever experienced, and had it not been for the unnecessarily loud music, I would have had even more thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast (though I managed to find a corner where the music was not that intrusive).

Criticism – positive and negative -
My overall experience is that I am very satisfied (except for the thermostat - as below), so the below criticism should be seen from the perspective that I want really high quality from a high quality hotel.

The room thermostat: It did not matter what I set the room thermostat to, it was still between 17-18 degrees freezing cold in the room. A bit silly of me that I never complained about it to the front desk, but instead just pulled up the cosy thick duvet a bit further when I slept. I am sure that they would have fixed it, alternatively moved me to another room, if I had complained.

The bathtub add of course an extra feature to the impressive bathroom, but the only thing it did for me was that it was very hard to enter/leave the shower cubicle, as - being a man (maybe it is different with women) taking a bath is not the first thing that comes to mind when I stay at a hotel. As the entrance to the shower was partly blocked by the bathtub it was almost impossible to enter the cubicle without firstly getting a cold shower before the warm water arrived in the shower head.

Hygiene to me is important when I travel, as I do not have time to be ill, and I want to feel fresh during business meetings that can take up to a full day. Therefore I highly enjoyed the electronic toilet with all its heating and cleaning features. As the buttons were very intuitive (with text and symbols) there were no instructions required either.

I also enjoyed the free-of-charge shoe polish service, and the complimentary fruits and drinks.

The room was generally well looked after, but the hard (wood?) floor by the entrance was full of scratches and had become detached from the surface below it - at the end near the carpet, making a loud creaking noise when (unavoidably) walking by it.

The TV was very large, and despite the distance - large enough to view from the pillow side of the bed, if it wasn't for that the picture quality was bad, i.e. it does not matter how good the TV is if the signal coming into it is not good. A TV of that size should have (at least on the movie channels) HD resolution. Example: I was watching tennis, and even though I consider myself being knowledgeable about tennis, I could not make out who the tennis players were. As TV is the only entertainment I normally use on my business journeys it is something I really want should be good, but is always something in hotels that is neglected - and always something I want to have higher quality of (both picture quality and TV channel availability).

One design flaw I experience at just about every single hotel is that you need to pass the entrance hall on your way to the bathroom. This means that whatever dirt you had under your shoes will get stuck under your feet or slippers, which you then carry with you inside the bathroom and the rest of the room. Especially in a large room like this, there must be a way that it could be designed to have the entrance to the bathroom from the bedside rather than the hallway.

All in all, if you are planning to stay in Jakarta – with your family, partner, or on your own, I warmly recommend Kempinski and the attached mall as your “local base”, from where you can reach most parts of the city easily, or stay and explore when the weather is bad, or when you have a lazy day.

Room Tip: Some rooms might have the view partly disrupted by the neighbouring towers. Check the layout if the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The view from the room is very nice, the overall room luxurious and the bed made me want to stay in. The room is modern, bigger than a normal hotel room and the bathroom was awesome.

Service at the hotel was good, they try hard to make my stay as comfortable as possible and breakfast was very nice, although pricey. For those who do not eat a big breakfast, they offer a menu apart from the breakfast buffet, which is convenient.

The location of the hotel is perfect. The hotel adjoins the Grand Indonesia Shopping Mall so there is no need to take a taxi or survive the Indonesian pedestrian traffic. If you need another mall to go to, there is another mall across the street which has movie theaters.

Overall, I really recommend this hotel and I would love to come back the next time I am in Jakarta.

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe room, it is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

ive stayed for the new years eve, we all know that HIK is one of the most recognize famous hotel in jakarta, so here they are, they gives the best quality hotel, the cleanliness, comfort, from bedroom to bathroom, everything was so comfy, cozy, i didnt have any complain about this. the restaurant which is serves us the breakfast was totally superb, best ingredient , best quality food, everything was okay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this hotel on purposed to celebrate end of year 2012. I booked from one of qualified web booking agent and booked 4 rooms . We paid full in advance as suggested by the room sales manager refer to New year eve , we did ourselves came , and settled the bill. we got promised from front office staf, named MELISSA that our room will be in the same floor and connecting one another as requested . We really disappointed , when we check in on 30 Dec, we got 4 separate rooms that far away one another. after some argued they gave only 1 room close one another 608 and 609 but 600 and 642 still in the different wing of the Hotel. I just dont understand that a reputable hotel could not accomodate what they have promised to their guest. I understood they might busy on New Year and fully booked, but once you promise and confirmed you should stick on it. Luckily the disappointment not too long since we really happy with the room and the service eventhough we have to walk far away to gather with our families.

Room Tip: Make sure they will give you the room that you request on booking. such as, twin bed, double bed or...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Room is modern, big, and comfort
We stay @ Grand Deluxe
Bathroom is big, automatic toilet
BUT
Breakfast is extremely poor
Why i put "extreme"?
This is the first time 5* hotel waiter when i am having my breakfast told me to sign a notice that i already use my breakfast saying this is complimentary but put the amount due idr450k
Serice in brrakfast very poor
Ex:variety of food, the service and welcome from the waiter and evnthough there is the f&b manager there he is busy with his own not to get attention to customer, the only good waiter is the omelette section, the other very poor, the waiter ask to change and take the dirty dishes without oligation to replace with the new one?
Our tea in glass is run out but there is no refill untill we ask?
Maybe there is less waiter in the signature restaurant that can't hold all service for table and guest
The hospitality from reception who handle my check in is also not good for me the 1st exp customer

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Indonesia Kempinski? Share your experiences!