“Great Location for business and shopping” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indonesia Kempinski

You added Hotel Indonesia Kempinski to your Saves list
Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jl. MH Thamrin No.1, Jakarta 10310, Indonesia (Menteng)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 332 Hotels in Jakarta
Jakarta
“Great Location for business and shopping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

This is my third times stay at this hotel, but never review it. Now I think I have to write something just to get things out of my head. For shopping lovers this hotel location is first class because it located at the center of shopping and business area. The main lobby is connected to one of the biggest shopping mall in Jakarta "Grand Indonesia" and stand in front of Bundaran HI (Welcome Statue). But the down side is since this is the main district area, traffic jam is horrifying at almost every time (of course, except at midnight) and Welcome Statue almost always is the place where demonstration is take place ( not happen every day of course!!). Hotel Indonesia is one of the oldest building in Thamrin Street, almost all building is renovated but they keep one (build like a dome) which is historical building, and actually now they use it as a restaurant. The View from my room at 5th floor is amazing, facing The Welcome Statue and very beautiful at night. The pool is on the 17th floor. You have to change elevator to get to the pool area and Spa. The pool is clean and so is the changing room. You can see a great panoramic view from here. At the last day I book for spa reservation, and turn out to be a great experience. The therapist are professional and the ambience of the room is very relaxing. Breakfast is usual nothing special but I enjoy it. Now the room, is quite large bedroom area and one sofa and coffee table. But what I like the most is the bathroom. Large bathtub and an automatic toilet (I don’t know how to descript it) and very clean.
Well, almost everything is perfect. But here come the downsides. First, I order dinner from room service and turn out having my rice still uncooked (very hard to swallow). Second, I stayed at executive deluxe room which entitle free access to executive lounge. But the staff told me that the executive lounge was closed to public due to security of some important guess , who is stay at this hotel. And it turn out to be very inconvenience for the rest of the guess because every time this important guess was going to leave or enter the hotel, management of the hotel closed main lobby and the elevator also closed for public. Many security guard are standing around the lobby and preventing all guess to access elevator and main lobby. All vehicles have to stop outside the hotel, that makes all guess have to walk to reach main lobby. I heard several guess complained and some other was angry because of this. It was very annoying. This hotel should have a better protocol for this kind of things.
I’m not sure whether to recommend this hotel because every time I stayed here, there always something that make me uncomfortable. But if don’t mind with all the things I’ve mention above, this hotel is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: choose the room which face main road, because some of the room windows facing the mall or inside the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four days to attend a series of meeting, which were mostly held at this hotel. I really enjoyed my stay here although there were a few things that got on my nerves and made this a less than perfect stay. The best thing about this hotel are the rooms. The food comes in at a close second. Service leaves a little bit to be desired. Also, the tempurature in my room fluxuated wildly even though climate control was theoretically in my power with a thermostat fixed on the wall.

I can think of any complaints for the room. It was spacious with more storage space than I have seen in a hotel. There is a strip of outlets on the desk that will accommodate most plugs - UK, US, and EU. Wireless Internet was free and I had no problem using it to connect to my company via VPN. TV channel selections were out of this world compared to most hotels. There were plenty of English-language television, including dedicated movie channels like HBO, and lots of American news channels, including Fox. Bathroom toiletries were comprehensive - included things like a comb, hairbrush, toothbrush, etc. - but not name-brand. There was a fancy toilet that took some getting used to. Towards the end it grew on me and I did utilize more of its features. It was nice not to have to touch it - the lid opened and shut automatically and it flushed on its own.

The food was amazing. The breakfast buffet has everything you could want and a lot of things that probably never occurred to you as being breakfast fare. I spent most of my time at the juice bar, gathering fresh fruit, and ordering egg white omelettes. If you don't have b-fast included, the USD 20 might seem excessive. Most of my other meals were taken in connection with the meetings, buffet style. All of it was delicious. I especially liked a dish they served one day for a dinner which was red snapper wrapped in banana leaves. Also, I took a chance to try the pumpkin with cheese and it was divine.

Service was wanting in several areas. I booked taxi service from the A/P to the hotel on my arrival. When I checked in they couldn't find my reservation and didn't help me until I produced my confirmation. When I checked in at the hotel, I also had to produce my confirmation number as they couldn't find my reservation. I provided my name in writing to them, so miscommunication is not an alternative explanation. I left my suitcase with the bellhop to be brought up to my room after check-in. Big mistake. It took forever. I tried calling down to the front desk a couple of times to ask after it and no one answered. This was close to 11 am on a Tuesday. Inexcusable. On my way out the door to retrieve it myself downstairs, I ran into the bellhop on his way to deliver it to my room. Lucky for him and me. Trying to get a refill on coffee proved close to impossible at Signatures during breakfast and took me and several of my table companions asking numerous times for it. I tried to get it myself and was turned back to my table and told that I would receive it, which I didn't for some time. I was scheduled for a late check-out and a letter was delivered to my room the night before asking me to leave my room promptly at 12 noon the next day. I cleared it up at the front desk quickly in the morning, but it did cause me a little anxiety and cost me some time away from my meeting that day.

The room tempurature seemed to fluxuate a lot at night, making it even more difficult to get to sleep. It seemed like the A/C was turned off altogether starting at 6:30 am and the tempurature would steadily climb until I left the room around 8 am each day.

Other mentionables: the gym and the spa. I used the gym almost everyday during my stay and liked it a lot. It is not very big and gets filled up quickly with peak time around 6:30 am. I understand that after 7 am it empties out again. I got there before 6 am every day and didn't have a problem getting on a machine. Water bottles are provided as are towels. Fresh apples are presented in a bowl and I helped myself to one after each visit. The spa is nice, but a little pricey, which explains why the price list is such a well kept secret. One cannot learn the prices of offerings without visiting the spa in person or calling them directly. This information is not even available in the rooms. I received a spa manicure and spa pedicure for around $100. I expected it too include a little more massage than it did. I would go for the lower-priced aromatherapy services next time. Bring your own nail polish. The polish they used for me was very old and thick so the technician had a difficult time applying it. It took a very long time to dry and I did end up smudging it a bit.

The hotel is connected to a mall that is full of high-end retail, restaurants and eateries. I bought souvenirs at Alun Alun, which is a great place and a highly recommend since the quality of merchandise there significantly outshines what's available at the airport. I bought a batik jacket for my sister-in-law and myself and a shirt for my husband and some noise makers for the kids. I ate dinner one night at the Paulaner, which is billed as a German beerhaus, but surprisingly doesn't sell any Germany beer. The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: I was on the eleventh floor, four doors down from the spa elevator, and was never bothered by any no...
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

First the rooms. Large, well appointed rooms. Good size beds with firm mattress. It takes a while to work out that the bedside light switches are actually in the drawer by the bed! This is quite frustrating to the jet lagged. The bathrooms are well equipped - separate shower and over-sized bath. Breakfast buffet is pretty good, but this is pretty standard across the region in the better hotels. Moreover, some of it looks better than it tastes.
I was not impressed by the man who rang on my door at 07.40 to replenish the fruit, nor by the refusal to do my laundry because of tiny bits of fraying on the shirt cuffs "in case it made it worse". The front desk were very apologetic - but still meant no clean shirt for dinner
Biggest plus is that it is a quiet, peaceful hotel without the hubbub and nightlife of some 5star hotels in the region

Antigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is a good hotel but travellers need to be aware of a few things.
I was disappointed to get a room near the elevator with the constant ringing of the elevator bell
clearly audible in the room.For $380/night one would expect better.

The hotel taxi rank is a rip off.I took an airport taxi to reach the hotel RP120,000.The quote for the return trip was RP260,000.The same with local rides.I insisted and got them to call a Bluebird taxi which was less than half the price

I agree with other eviews the rooms are excellent and the breakfast was good even if a little expensive.

Room Tip: Make sure not near the elevators
Travelling Aussie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I recently stayed in this hotel in March 2012. The rooms were fantastic with plenty of space and and bathroom to be seen to be believed. I've stayed in rooms that were smaller than the bathroom alone.

The breakfast buffet, whilst not 'Indonesia' cheap, was brilliant. Such a wide array of food, and actually good espresso coffee.

The pool was nice, and the service was pleasant and efficient. With the hotel connected to the larger shopping mall, selection of restaurants, and shops was exceptional.

Definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

* Hotel offers great facilities including free wi fi for guests, gym, pool, b
pool bar spa, business centre services. You can also do a quiet stroll near the pool area and enjoy view of the city.
* Convinient location in terms of access to shops, restaurants, and cafe (Grand Indonesia) which are connected to the hotel ground floor. In addition, Assuming there is no traffic and non peak hours, it takes approx half hr to get to Soekarno Hatta international airport. There are always registered taxis on standby at the hotel.
* grand deluxe room is facing the huge roindabout where the welcome monument stands, great night view with all the city and traffic lights. Room is very spacious with a sofa and small tea table as well as study desk. There is also wi fi coverage, mini bar, satellite tv, ipod docking.
*a clean bathroom that is as spacious as the bedroom with a huge bathtub. Separate shower area and toilet areas. fancy toilet too - like ones you often find in Japan - seat warmer, push of a button to lift toilet seat,etc. Toileterries are provided, hairdryer, sewing kit, scale, and there is a small tv as well!
* breakfast buffet at the hotel starts as early as 6am and they have variety of food from local Indonesian, continental, japanese breakfast and fruits.

Only minus point about the hotel is the AC. I like my room to be cool at all times and I think AC in the room is centrally controlled and always stays at 22C which probably is tolerable for most poeple. OVerall Kempinski Jakarta is a nice, clean and confortable hotel to stay with range of facilities and convienient (esp when you are travelling with people with different interests (shopping vs relaxing).

Room Tip: Ask for view of the welcome monument
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here in March2012. This is an excellent, recently renovated, centrally located hotel with very courteous and helpful staff. I would recommend it highly. The rooms were well designed and very spacious. The breakfast is good. The staff goes over and beyond the call of duty to make you feel welcome. Example: I had forgotten my suit in my room when checking out, and one of the guys at the concierge desk brought it to the airport to hand it to me when I flew out of Jakarta! I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Indonesia Kempinski? Share your experiences!