“The most dangereous trip of my life..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)

Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)
Jl. Raya Labuan KM.10 Carita Beach, 42264, Indonesia
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 835 things to do in Java
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: A catastrophic explosion in 1883 had global repercussions and left only remnants of Krakatau (Krakatoa), which has shown seismic activity as recently as 1994.
5 attraction reviews
“The most dangereous trip of my life..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

I did the Krakatu camping tour via krakatauecotourism.com in feb 2015. It's chinese new year in Singapore and we all get 4 days off and it's perfect place to go i thought. I have always wanted to go there for some unexplained reason. I knew it's history and how dangereous it is.If you like adventure and life threatening things then Krakatau won't dissappoint you.

I landed in Jakarata at night and stayed overnight in a hotel called century park. Its close to everything, smack in downtown between all the clubs n restaurants.. if you land in jakarta on a weekeday and want to party on monday, tuesday and thursday then head over to cj's bar (best live band) @Mulia Hotel.

Next day you take a 6 am private car to Carita beach which is 3 hour long drive. with breakfast and toilet break if you need one. After arriving in Carita beach you have to transfer to a speedboat which was as big as the car. but its pretty fast with twin engines. The Sea is ruff and its a bumpy 2 hour ride to Krakatau. The whole island was empty when i arrived by 12 pm.. no rangers no humans no hotels or shops..not even toilets.It was just me, the tour guide and the driver and the cook. They put the tent and cooked nice lunch. By 4 pm you go up to Hike the volcano, and it gets exciting.. Visibility was limited to few meteres due to sulphur gas being emitted, its was difficult to breathe..but we used wet towels (no gas mask). Its about 30 mins to reach on top and it was very windy.. my phone was flying away when i tried to take pics.. the whole view was gorgeous.. then you hike down and make your way back to the tent for dinner..

At around 6pm you have dinner and by 7 pm it get's super dark.. pitch dark.. this is where things get exciting. There is no electricity no light. just one torch. I am alone on the whole island sleeping under a tent by the beach, behind me is a live volcano and the guide and driver and cook are all sleeping on the small boat which is 100 meters away.They say the sea gets ruff at night and they dont want to loose the boat or if the anchor wire/rope rips apart. At night it was so windy and noisey i couldnt sleep. And then the storm came in. i was all alone and the wind speed was blowing my tent away.. the high tide made waves so big that it almost swept my tent. Add thunder lightening and rain..sleeping was impossible. i was scared a tsunami wave will drown me.. or the lava flow from the volcano will make me a burnt mummy in my sleep.. or i was scared of these 3 men killing me and running away with my cash and belongings and dumping my body in the middle of the ocean and no one will even know. Plus i heard footsteps of people around me many times while i was trying to sleep. it was scary as hell and a nightmare..in the morning the crew came and they told.me they couldnt sleep either the sea kept rocking the boat all night. they seem very tired and looked scared too... when i told them about footsteps they said it maybe spirits.. i freaked out.

Then we had breakfast and went for snorkelling around the island.. the whole ocen floor was like a boiling pot... i could see so many bubbles coming up from ocean floor. they said it was volcanic activity- gases from the ocean floor. the whole experience was scary to look and no fish. it looked like million mercury drops going up from ocean floor and meeting the air above with the ocean seperating them.. and is a scary site.. they said it can really get hot sometime n burn your skin.. and asked me to hurry up.. the current was so strong they needed to throw a rope and pull me to the boat... else you cant swim to the boat..

The journey back to carita beach is another 2 hours... in the meantime its 12 pm and we decide to head back.. on thw way back something went wrong in the sea.. they say thers are many under ocean volcano and activity.. suddenly after 20.mins boat ride we all get scared as there were tsunami waves as big as 3 to 4 meters high forming behind us... big wall of water and we are on such a small boat.. we preyed to god it doesnt flip us over.. its continued for next 1.5 hours.. waves afyer waves, the ocean went crazy..and we were riding the waves in front of us so we dont get hit by waves behind us...we all wearing life jackets and preying to god for 2 hours... we thought we are gonnna drown and die... there is very limited traffic in this route..no radio for rescue no one to help if any accident.. its just like the movies...and horrible experince. Luckily we made it to the beach after 2 hours... and i had never sweat so much in 2 hours .. my heart was beating so fast i think i lost 2 to 3 kgs in the boat ride.. the tsunami waves was really scary.. i am lucky to be alive...

If you go there make sure you go at your own risk and do inform ur family memebrs.. as anything is possible. And be careful. I will not go back there.

• Indonesian first
Debre Zeyit, Ethiopia
3 attraction reviews
“Thrilling Experience....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

It was on August 2012...we were a group of 20 persons at Carita Beach...just like that somebody told that we can see the Live Valcano if we travel by speed boat for an hour..Police at the beach took our names and telephone numbers.We were excited and it was a long journey in the rough sea..When we landed we realised that we are in a place where mankind cant live..some were staying there in tents and they are also a visitor like us..awesome beach with black sand...trekking...when we came back we realized that we visited a fantastic place and also the policeman was also happy to see us back at shore...Its really Thrilling Experience...

Visited February 2014
Wiltshire
10 attraction reviews
“Amazing day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

I did this as a day trip from Jakarta with Krakatau Tours, the company contact is Roman, who responded quickly to my emails. The pickup arrived early and the whole day went as planned. I read some reviews about having to stop on route to get a permit before arriving on Krakatau, this company took care of the permit and the boat went straight out to Krakatau. It works out a bit expensive if doing the trip on your own, but i would recommend it as I was the only person on the volcano that day, and the trip ran to my agenda.
Make sure you take the cash with you to pay for the trip, I couldn't use a card or ATM when I got there.
It is a long day trip from Jakarta, starting before 5am and returning about 8.30pm depending on your hotel location. I stayed at the Allium on the outskirts of the city and it took 3 1/2 hours to get back, it takes 5 hours if you stay in the city.
The sea conditions in December can be a bit choppy, a company with a reliable twin engine boat is a must. And it was very choppy, the crew put mattresses on the floor in the middle of the boat for me and it was fine. If you are only coming to Java to visit Krakatau factor in an extra day in case sea conditions make the crossing unsuitable.
Roman provided me with a safe driver and comfortable car, an English speaking guide, excellent captain and cheerful deckhand. They looked after me very well and made it an exciting day. A highlight was rescuing a 1.5 metre monitor lizard from drowning in the deep fresh water well on the volcano. It was amusing trying to fish it out with a long strong branch and noose but we got it out, well done guys I was delighted even if the lizard was a tad ungrateful!!!
I didn't need to bring food or water that was all provided. Things to take: water for the car journey, sun cream, hat, dry bag with change of clothes, a small towel to dry your feet after wading ashore, and trainers with good grip for trekking on the loose volcanic soil. It is hot climbing an active volcano but you don't need to be super fit. There is no bathroom on the boat, so go before you set sail, there are plenty of bushes when you arrive on the volcano!
Lunch was followed by a snorkelling stop on the very pretty reef around Krakatau before the rough crossing back across the Sunda Strait to Java. The drive back to Jakarta gave me a chance to see the villages and stunning countryside. Definitely a trip worth doing.

Indonesia
7 attraction reviews
“"Can not be explained with words"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

Big waves when departed from Carita. Boat runs 10 minutes when finally decided to go back because it will take a long time to get to Krakatau in unfriendly trip. Leaving the next day in the morning with much better weather and it was nice trip. Snorkeling in Rakata island then boat take along surround the anak Krakatau. Arrived in anak Krakatau and stepped on the black sand beach just like a dream.
Sunrise from the top was magnificent! GREAT NATURE.
You have to read about the history of Krakatoa so that when you look at her directly you can imagine how devastating eruption it was! Amazing!

“Trip to Krakatau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2015

Was very impressed about my trip to the Anak Krakatau. The guide from Krakatautours was friendly and helpful.