“I Saw A Live Erupting Volcano - Anak Krakatau” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)

Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)
Jl. Raya Labuan KM.10 Carita Beach Indonesia | Jl. Raya Labuan KM.10 Carita Beach Indonesia, 42264, Indonesia
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 581 Attractions in Java
Type: Mountains, Volcanos, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: A catastrophic explosion in 1883 had global repercussions and left only remnants of Krakatau (Krakatoa), which has shown seismic activity as recently as 1994.
Mumbai, India
“I Saw A Live Erupting Volcano - Anak Krakatau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited the live erupting Krakatau Volcano in April, 2012. One of the most amazing experiences of my life. 20 hrs from Mumbai to Jakarta to Carita and Krakatau. Didnt imagine that I will get to see multiple eruptions both from the Sunda Strait and while on Krakatau Island. Also saw a live Lava Dome at night, collected freshly formed pumice rocks from the base of Krakatau. My entire trip was managed by Aris Yantao, Owner, NDESO Adventures, Jakarta, Indonesia. He and his team really know the place very well and are capable of handling every activity / event and eventualities, if any. This is one trip recommended only for physically and psychologically fit individuals, and not for luxury trip seekers.

Visited April 2012

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
51 attraction reviews
“Real Active !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've just come back from Krakatoa/ Anak Krakatau Mountain. I use speedboat from Karang Bolong Area and it takes apprx 3hours.

First time to see active mountain and it's so nice and fantastic !! I come closer to Krakatoa and it's fantastic.

And finally I climb to the top and I see directly this mountain. It's very nice.

I can't say anything about this natural mountain... Just come and feel it

Visited November 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
9 attraction reviews
“Great Adventures, must do!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

If you like adventure and close to the Mother Nature, this is the one worth to try! We set across the Sunda Strait by ferry from Merak Port to Bakahuni Port in Lampung. Our tours to Krakatau launch from Kalianda on the Sumatra coast by chartering a boat from fishing village Canti pier, just outside of Kalianda to Sebesi Island. The boat ride was nausea inducing, the boat crashing down hard from the swells at sea but diving and snorkeling around the islands was the pain killer! Amazing spot underwater!

And as the boat anchor we rent local home stay in Sebesi Island, there are no luxuries of any kinda of decent accommodation you’ve ever experienced, no McDonalds, no clean toilet and no cozy bed at all, totally away from any civilization but our spirit keep continue. The next day we enjoyed getting yet closer to Anak Krakatau and circling it by boat. The hiking on Krakatau and the snorkeling was a lot of fun as the volcano continued with an impressive display of nature’s forces. Overall it’s a beautiful place and great adventures worth to see for all world travelers.

Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A must-do for a world traveller!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

In my opinion, this is a must-do experience for a world traveller! If you don’t mind making an extra effort in order to experience something very unique, then this is a good trip.

My wife and I did a full-day visit to Krakatau from Jakarta and back which we organised with Roman at Krakatau-tour.com who was a really nice guy and the organising was easy via email.

We were picked up by a chauffeur in a Nissan Grand Livina at our hotel in Jakarta at 05am to make the three hour drive to the marina in Carita. You could tailor the trip to start later in the morning, but we were advised to start this early and when you see the traffic from Jakarta to Carita you understand. We had arrived to Jakarta airport very late the night before, so had expected to sleep in the car during the 3 hour drive to Carita, however, the velocity of the traffic and the condition of the roads made it difficult to get any decent sleep.

Upon arrival in Carita, we got a nice breakfast with pineapple jam and orchid butter, which was a new for both of us. After that, we boarded a small boat for the 1.5hr boat trip to Anak Krakatau. The boat was very simple, but the water was flat, so the travel to the volcano island was easy.

Except for a couple of rangers, we had the volcano island all to ourselves. First, you walk through a forested area and then, if you want, you can start ascending the moon-like ash mountain that is the volcano. By chance, my wife changed her footwear from flip-flops to shoes before we landed which turned out to be a lifesaver. The ascend is much like climbing a sand dune, only the ash ground is very warm, so I recommend to wear long trousers (and very dirty, so make sure your hotel has a laundry service!). Anak Krakatau is about 300m high and you can reach the first ledge at 150m without being too much bothered by the sulphur. Our guide was very nice and the service the whole day was super, but advanced knowledge about Krakatau we had to bring ourselves.

As we descended the volcano, it started to spur out massive amounts of black smoke which, in my opinion, we were very lucky to experience. We never felt in any danger and it was a true volcanic encounter which made this trip unforgettable.

After, we sailed to Rakata island, a remaining piece of the original Krakatau, where we had a romantic Nasi Goreng lunch on a completely deserted beach in the shade of a few trees. You have the option to go snorkelling, which we skipped, since the lunch and the deserted Rakata island experience was so delightful.

We left the island to go back to Jakarta at about 2pm. The sea was more lively due to the time of day and had we been more than two passengers, not all would have arrived back to the marina in dry condition. The drive back to Jakarta took about 5-6 hours due to horrible traffic, which I believe is normal, so bring your iPad or a good book.

After negotiating a bit, we ended up paying IDR 4.2m for 2 persons which I think was an adequate price including transportation, meals and staff. I believe, you only pay slightly more in total if you add persons to your group and thus you can save a lot per person if you team up.

I recommend you read a bit about the history and event of the volcano before you go – it’s a very exciting story! I read “Krakatoa” by Simon Winchester which in addition to being a good book to read before going to Indonesia was a great research before travelling to Krakatoa.

(Finally, when we arrived at our next destination in Indonesia, we were told that Anak Krakatau had erupted for the first time in a while just after we left. A truly magnificent experience!)

Visited September 2012
Waterloo, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Great experience using Java Rhino tours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The good:
-Quick boat ride with opportunities to take pictures on the way.
-English guide
-Snorkeling

The bad:
-Price 2,500,000 rupiah is high (approx $350 usd). Price is based on what they think they can get out of you. If your white expect to pay a lot.
-Full day tour means 8am until 3:30pm. An hour and a half are spent getting there and an hour and a half are spent getting back. That leaves 4 and a half hours out at the volcanic islands.

Visited September 2012