“A Truly Incredible Day Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)

Krakatau Volcano (Krakatoa)
Jl. Raya Labuan KM.10 Carita Beach, 42264, Indonesia
Improve this listing
Ranked #48 of 835 things to do in Java
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: A catastrophic explosion in 1883 had global repercussions and left only remnants of Krakatau (Krakatoa), which has shown seismic activity as recently as 1994.
Shanghai, China
449 attraction reviews
1,902 helpful votes 1,902 helpful votes
“A Truly Incredible Day Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

When the original Krakatoa exploded in 1883, it was heard in Aden, Yemen and Perth, Western Australia. That blast and the accompanying tsunami obliterated the regions along both coasts of the Sunda Strait and they remain sparsely inhabited in Indonesian terms until this day.

A speedboat trip out from Carita Beach to the scene of this mighty eruption is one of the best day trips you can do in Indonesia. The area is so volcanically active that Krakatau's child is growing by the day and its black snout can already been seen from far away, sometimes puffing out volcanic debris. There is a black sand beach and some vegetation has begun to colonize the shoreline. There was too much poisonous gas venting at the time of our visit, so we could only go halfway up but the magnificent views across to Sumatra and south to the Indian Ocean through the Sunda Strait made this an incomparable day trip. It isn't cheap to rent a boat but you won't regret it either.

Visited November 2011

• Indonesian first
Lebanon, New Jersey
16 attraction reviews
“Fascinating daytrip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Krakatau is a great daytrip. Very few visitors, double figures seems to be an exception!
Approx 90-120 minutes boat trip out there depending on sea conditions.
Status of volcano in June 2012 was huffing and puffing with lots of steam and sulphur being given off.
If a more impressive eruption is occurring staying the night would make sense.
Overall a great visit to one of the iconic destinations of the planet.

Cebu City, Philippines
“Excellent customer service with unforgettable days thanks to apud”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were 5 people and despite the fact that I got sick and opted to stay ashore my friends were full of praise for the quality and the impressions of their trip. Apud the travelguide basically took care of me personally and invited me to his house. His wife cooked a very nice meal and he was extremely helpful in overcoming my health problems. I can highly recommend him and his tour as he takes personal pride in giving the best service imaginable with somewhat limited ressources typical for Indonesia.

Visited May 2012
Sydney, Australia
8 attraction reviews
“Well worth a look”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We went to Krakatua (Krakatoa) with Java Rhino Echo tours. They have several websites. The price of about $US125 per person I thought was a bit high for what you got, none the less the arrangements went smoothly, we were picked up from the hotel at 6am in a nice car and delivered to the boat The boat could have been a little more up-market for the price as could have been the lunch, but it was adequate. Our guides English was acceptable although not great. They did suppy plenty of water and a couple of drinks each (there were four in the party) the travel company was good, but I would negotiate a lower price next time. Anyway enough of that - it takes a lot of travel time to get to Krakatoa from Jakarta and possibly an overnight stay would have been better. The volcanoe itself is quite spectacular, especially as you go around it and see the larva flows. Be aware that climbing it can be challenging as it is sandy and you slip back in the sand as you climb. I wore sandals which was a mistake as not only was the sand hot, but small pebbles kept getting under my feet. There is some mystic about having been to Krakatoa, but the highlight for me was going to the reef and snorkelling. The coral is not worth a second look, but the fish are amazing, almost equalling what I have seen at the Australian Barrier reef, although we were only in a small patch. It was a long day for a one day trip, but I think worth it.

Visited June 2012
essex
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We went to Krakatoa as part of our honeymoon. We flew into jakarta and were taken on the tour with http://www.krakatautour.com Picked up in jakarta early in the morning and in a comfortable air conditioned car. the journey was bumoy ( the roads were muddy - it was a really wet day)
we were meant to go from caritha beach but went from another marina. met our guide ( whose name i cannot recall) and three staff members of the boat ( for just me and my husband)
They were all really friendly, the boat ride was great and the Volcano was just awesome. Our guide took us as close as were were allowed to go and was very knowledgeable. we then were taken round the volcano in the boat to see it from all sides, then off snorkelling. we were given a lovely lunch and then off home 12 hours in total

We would do it again, Iyans staff are a credit to him and this tour is worth EVERY penny

Visited October 2011