“Another Dissapontment” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indonesian, International
Telford,England
“Another Dissapontment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Ate here once during our stay in Bali from the 20th Feb to the 10th Mar 2013. It was part of our continuing search to try to find a traditional local Balinese Restaurant that served tasty local foods.

The Laghawa Terracotta Restaurant was about half way between the Wicked Parrot and Hardys, it always appeared busy and on one night the restaurant was so full we could not get a table We therefore returned 2 nights later to find the restaurant almost empty except for two other tables. The restaurant is quite large with an attractive open layout and a bar.

I had the Beef Rendang Balinese style and my wife the Sweet and Sour Chicken. And yes both dishes were spicy and had taste of a sort. Unfortunately my beef was very tough, it did not taste like a Rendang but more like a poor Thai oyster sauce dish to which chillies had been added. My wife’s sweet and sour was very spicy, there was no sour taste just sweet and a lot of chillies, OK for me but not for my wife and the coating on the chicken was over cooked and hard. It was not a sweet and sour. My wife could not finish the dish as she found it too spicy. The meal was another disappointment. After this we gave up and ate at the restaurants that provided international cuisine.

We had pancakes for dessert, which were nice. Value was OK with soup about 15,000 rupiah, main courses between 30-40,000r, a bottle of the local Hatten wine was about 170-180,000 rupiah.

We did not return and wondered why the restaurant had appeared so popular, perhaps the chef had a night off the night we visited and everyone else knew!! Ten percent tax charged no service charge, internet blogs and ex-pats we met said that only the larger establishments were liable for this tax although we found all restaurants charged it.

• Visited February 2013