“Angela and Colin Brown” 4 of 5 stars

Wantage, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Angela and Colin Brown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Whilst stopping at the Bumas Hotel in Sanur we went on three day trips using "Permata surya Bali Tours" owned by a very nice and efficient lady Ayu Laksmani. Her shop is at the "Bali Beach Hotel" which has extensive and magnificent gardens. Her e-mail address is "permata-rvs@yahoo.com". Our driver for all three trips was her son Agung who spoke very good English and was a mine of information about the Balinese and their customs.

Our first trip was to Kintamani, an active volcano stopping on the way to see carvings, batiks and silver filigree in the Ubud area. We had an excelent buffet lunch at a restaurant with a superbe view of the volcano and Lake Batur.

Our second trip was to Besakih,the mother temple. There was a kilometer or so walk up hill from the car park to the temple. It is necessary to hire a local guide,haggling over the price is normal. The temple is large and magnificent but with lots of steps as it is built on the steep hillside of Mount Agung. There are lots of processions of pilgrims wearing white tops and hats with brightly coloured sashes. Many of the ladies carry offerings on their heads. The views from the temple are extensive. There is a festival atmosphere everywhere. On the way back we stopped at the Mahagiri Resort in Rendang village where we had a really lovely buffet lunch. The views of the terraced rice paddies were fantastic.

Our last trip was to lake Bratan and a lovely temple dedicated to the goddess of water and fertility. There was so much to see, pilgrims dressed in white carrying offerings on their heads,while others were picnicing cheerfully on the lawns. the climate at this altitude is cooler so the terraced hillsides grow vegetables and fruit instead of rice.
On these trips you pass spectacular scenery and witness the Balinese people and their fascinating customs.

Happy Travelling

Visited September 2013

• Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Kintimani is it worth the drive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am into great views and spectacular landscapes. I have done an 8 day walk/trek, Tour Mont Blanc and that is awe inspiring. By comparison, the view into this volcano is pretty bland. I guess I expected to see more from a recently active volcano. What one sees is a lot of blackened earth in a big crater. In the background/one end of the crater, I concede there is a very pretty lake with some treed hill sides a little bit reminiscent of Austria but "active" volcano is what intrigued me and what I wanted to see. It is just blackened earth. It is a nice view.
Maybe one can gain access to get up close and personal to the active parts but our driver only stopped [for lunch] at the rim of the volcano. [And several of these restaurants on the rim do an appalling Indonesian buffet which is ridiculously expensive by Balinese standards, that should be avoided. It is IDR110,000/hd and it is crap compared to the normal beautiful fresh Balinese fare.]
The drive to Kintimani is wonderful and there are beautiful sights all along the way - small waterfalls, treed little valleys, Banyan trees with shrines built into the trees, lovely villages, etc.
I would question the longer drive to Kintimani. Driving straight to Ubud would satisfy me.

Visited September 2013
bandung
5 attraction reviews
“speechless look at the Mt Batur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

when the first time i'm going to Kintamani... it so amazing & so beautiful place,Speechles look at Mt. Batur & Restaurant in Kintamani so good & delicious

Visited May 2013
Palmerston, Australia
20 attraction reviews
“WOW WHAT A VIEW”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was my second trip up to the mountain village of Kintamani and it never lets me down. My husband had never seen the volcano so I thought I'd show him, he was amazed.
We sat on the balcony of a restaurant and had a drink while we took in the stunning views of Mt Batur and Lake Batur.
I remember the last time I visited Kintamani, we were mobbed by hawkers but this time we were spared, there didn't seem to be anyone around, just us and our driver, complete serenity.
The temperature up in Kintamani is definitely a lot cooler than Kuta and a welcome change.
The actual restaurant that we went to was made from volcanic rock, take the time to have a closer look.

Visited August 2013
Melaka, Malaysia
20 attraction reviews
“Volcano Site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was at there to view the mountain site where the volcano erupted. It is a magnificent sight. With a few mount range, active volcano and also superb view of the lake. Fresh air and awesome climate. Quite cooling in the day. One can do the trekking to sight the sunrise which was told to be very beautiful. I didn't have much time to do the trekking, perhaps the next visit I might want to do that.

Visited August 2013