“Excellent all round” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #292 of 1,451 Bali B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Excellent all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner, myself, my mum and my dad stayed at Kubu Indah for 6 nights in late August 2013. We stayed in the Villa Pantai (Beach Villa) which is a two bedroom (with ensuites) private villa in the resort. It has a large garden area with a private pool and is located about 50 metres from the sea.

Our villa was cleaned twice a day - once in the morning when we went to breakfast and once in the evening when we went to dinner. The cleaning was meticulous and if we had clothes laying on the bed when we went to breakfast we would return and find everything neatly folded and put away for us. The gardens are also meticulously maintained and the pool is cleaned every morning. There is a full European style kitchen (including oven and cooktop) in the villa so you could cook your own meals if you wanted to. There is also a dining area in the villa along with a lounge area with a TV that has both western channels and Indonesian channels.

We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the resort restaurant. Breakfast was included in our rates. We had the western style breakfast consisting of eggs and bacon. The meals that we had were really, really, really good. My partner and I ate the Indonesian foods such as gado gado, nasi goreng, ayam sit sit, nasi campur and urap sayuran. My dad ate mainly from the western menu and he said that his meals were all lovely as well. As for price, I think the meals were very reasonably priced. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the nasi goreng might have been about 33,000RP (approx AU$3.30) which I think is reasonable particularly as there are no other restaurants close by.

This area is not crowded with tourists, there are no tourist markets and there is very little commercialism so it is a nice place to stay and just relax. It is about 2 and a half hours drive from Denpasar Airport. This area attracts divers from around the world to see the important shipwrecks on this coast line but as we are not divers we just stayed and relaxed by the pool and we were quite content doing just that. We watched fishing boats come and go, watched cruise boats and container ships crawl across the horizon and watched the kids play soccer in a nearby field in the afternoons.

There are several tours that are on offer at the resort. My partner and I went on the Ubud tour which took about 10 hours. We really enjoyed the drive to and from Ubud. We also took advantage of the resort spa and we went for a Balinese massage which was very relaxing. There is a little shop exactly opposite the entrance to the resort where you can buy water, soft drinks, Bintang and packaged snacks. 5 minutes walk up the road is a transport/taxi place if you feel like venturing out of the resort.

The staff were very friendly and very professional.

The only down-side was that the mattress was a little too hard for my liking and I found it difficult to get used to the sound of the waves crashing at night while I was trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Next time I would ask for a villa that is a little further back from the sea as I found it difficult...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

THE RESORT: on the quiet north-eastern edge of Bali, Kubu Indah is perfectly located for those who want to get away from the tourist hassle of Denpassar. The drive there from the airport takes a little over three hours, through rice paddies and monkey forests, and is very beautiful.

The bungalows are in great condition, immaculate and comfortable. If you can afford a larger villa, though, then go for it - the private pool makes your day a languid treat just lying around, reading, swimming as the whim takes, with silence or just your own music to fill your ears. And from villa Pantai at least, you won't hear the Bali roosters at 5.30am!

The staff are friendly and attentive, the food is really really fantastic. As for the reviews saying food and drink is expensive - well, it is way cheaper than home, lunch was about $5 and a really decent buffet dinner $12 - pretty good deal, and you know it is fresh and healthy.

THE DIVING: Kubu Indah is located about 5 minutes drive from the Liberty wreck at Tulamben. The resort has great diving right on her doorstep though - just walk from the restaurant down and see ribbon eel, blue ringed mantas, scorpion leaf fish, cuttlefish. It is easy shore diving from a shore with fist-sized rocks instead of sand- but still easy. The dive team are skilled, knowledgable and safe, and the gear in great condition.

Room Tip: If you can afford a villa, go for one. Pantai is the one with un obstructed ocean views, all have th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Neuchatel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Dive center: limited material (nitrox), They tried to charge us for equipment not rented, guides touching everything underwater (but it seems to be the same elsewhere too). Proposed dives not as per their advertisement.

Restaurant: "Fresh" fruit juices for breakfast from a carton, takes ages to be served, food is bad for Bali, too expensive and served cold. Closest Kubu restaurants at 15 min walk.

Resort: beautiful surroundings and nice rooms (except the smell in the toilets). Very quiet.

Spa : great massages, friendly staff

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The rooms were very clean but basic. No tea and coffee facilities no TV/radio in the the rooms. There isn't a lot happening in the area so if your not into diving, staying there for any length of time could be a challenge. Once the bar and restaurant is closed that is it, there is nothing available. Certainly a peaceful place to be though if that's what your looking for. The spa services were very good. We had a ghecko in the room barking all night for 2 nights so we didn't get much sleep. We stayed 4 days and I think that was enough for us, we were ready to move on by then.

Room Tip: Keep your villa lights off at night, there's a millipede problem and they are attracted inside b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have just returned from Bali and spent a few days at Kubuh Indah (my 3rd visit).
I can honestly say this is the most relaxing place I know. We usually stay here when we arrive in Bali before heading off to other parts of Indonesia and find it's the perfect place to unwind and just enjoy the tranquility, good food and the amazing Brownies!!

I wondered if the extra new rooms would spoil the intimacy of the place, but the owners have done an outstanding job in blending in the new features and you would not even know the place was not originally made this way.

We always dive on the house reef and always are surprised at what we see. You can arrange diving anywhere with Kubu Indah and it's only 5 minutes from the best dive sites in Tulamben.

The rooms are very well maintained and clean, our bungalow was exactly the same condition as 3 years ago which was a pleasant surprise.

Don't expect nightlife/noise, this is a place to unwind and relax dive and use the Spa.

Thanks again Gaby for a great stay.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are closest to the pool/bar/beach
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I went there with a friend who wanted to dive around Tulamben. We visited during low season, on a one-day notice (booked on a good deal at Agoda.com). Planned to stay for 4 days, but ended up staying 8 days and could have stayed longer. "European precision in Bali" review is spot-on-target. Ditto. The two (Danish and Swiss) couples running the resort are very nice and helpful - we had a great time with all four. I decided on the spot to learn diving - it's too easy not to do. My cottage, my dive shop, the house-reef just off the beach, and an outstanding teacher. Marco, our Swiss host, also was available to teach me the PADI Open Water Diver course. Marco is a calm, confident, extremely knowledgeable, supportive, and fun teacher, and a great dive mentor. Marco initially took me on a trial dive to check out what diving would be like. The dive from the beach to the house reef sold me immediately and I embarked on the full course, got my license three days and several dives later, and then had a good time with the dive guides, including an unforgettable trip to the Liberty Wreck in Tulamben, early in the morning. The triad of having a great teacher, great diving right there, and a very beautiful, quiet, tucked-away place to stay - what a great way to get into diving! Apart from diving, for me, this is a mixed work-vacation trip, so I appreciated having plenty of time, peace and quiet, and an inspiring view to read and write. Slow internet intermittently worked via my cell-phone (on XL), or via a USB stick to a cell-phone internet provider, available through the resort, or by walking 200 m down the beach to the neighboring resort, which has a wifi hooked to a landline (not the fastest either, but good enough for email; uploading 3MB jpg files didn't work there either). Sufficed for my needs, but was glad to know from the reviews in advance that internet wasn't a reliable option. A landline may come to this resort in a year's time or so, was the rumor. Bottomline - I hope to be back soon for more of the same!

Room Tip: Even the cottages in the back afford a view, through trees and between other cottages, to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here at Kubu Indah as an organised diving group.
The resort is run, very much hands-on, by 2 European couples (Danish and Swiss). They built the resort and run it with precision. All the staff are local Balinese that have been trained into an excellent, friendly and helpful team by the owners.
This results in an extremely pleasant experience.

The luxurious rooms, mostly free standing, in this well manicured, lawn resort are well appointed and pleasantly decorated. The view from the rooms over the rest of the resort and out over the ocean is really spectacular, especially at sunset.

The food was largely excellent. The menu consisted of mostly Balinese cuisine (slightly twisted towards western tastes) but with all the standards like burgers and French fries present. There were mostly a special dish that changed daily. Special nights with "beach barbecues" and the likes seem to be organised regularly. The Balinese staff, often with limited abilities in English, were always helpful and pleasant.
The "suckling pig" speciality dinner was awful (overcooked and dry).

The diving operation catered to all our whims and fancies. They helped where equipment failed and rented where none were available. They organised trips to other dive sites without a hitch. The dive team were knowledgeable about the dive sites and adhered to all diving regulations. We had a great time diving with them.

Quite a few of our group utilised the spa and were very satisfied with the service they got. As a matter of fact they kept going back for more.

We organised a sunset cruise for the group utilising a fleet of local fishing boats... this was certainly one of the highlights of the week.

We certainly had a very pleasant stay but please keen in mind that:
1. The resort is located 3 to 4 hours (interesting) driving from Kuta / airport. Don't try to do the drive on your own... use the resort's transfer service.
2. It is primarily a diving resort. If you are a non-diver you may get bored after a day or so.
3. There are other resorts along the coast but they are not easily accessible so you are a bit "locked in" as walking to these other resorts is not easy.
4. Internet access is a problem. This is rural Bali. The only access is at the pool bar through a slow GSM/cell laptop and modem, and there is a hefty charge for these poor/slow connectivity speeds.
5. What the resort owners euphemistically describe as a "pebble beach" is in essence a shoreline covered in rounded rocks on average 10 - 15 cm in diameter. Virtually all dives are shore entry. Walking/stumbling in and out of the sea through medium sized breakers with full SCUBA equipment over these rocks is no easy feat.
6. Expect to be woken up by a banshee of cocks/roosters crowing from 03h00 onwards... this is rural Bali (take some ear-plugs with).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Kubu Indah Dive & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!