I suppose before writing a review for any hotel in Tibet, you must consider the harsh inaccessibility of this gorgeous remote part of the world, and you have to remember that most of the time, the staff are trying their best to provide you with a decent place to stay, even though they sometimes fall short of the mark.
If I was rating Four Points Lhasa as a regular hotel in a modern city, it would be considered an average, pretty decent business hotel. Nothing special.
However, because I returned to Four Points after a 5 day road trip outside Lhasa and immediately after 8 hours on the road in a 4WD, I would rate Four Points Sheraton as easily one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
It's easy to start with the negative points...................
- Breakfast buffet was not fantastic. Somehow, food doesn't taste exactly as it should. eg. The bread is lumpy and comes chilled, the cheese is rock hard because the weather is just so darn cold, the noodles are dry and stuck together because.... they are cold
- The hotel lobby is tiny and dull
- There is no wi-fi in the hotel room
- The "business centre" is a strange little room by the side of the reception with old computers and malfunctioning printers
- We spent an inordinate amount of time (on two separate occasions!) trying to explain to the staff that our room will be paid for by our tour agency
- The sliding wooden door to our bathroom was jammed and required brute force to open and close it
BUT, I would still consider this hotel a heavenly oasis in Tibet, because :
- After a 5 day road trip outside of Lhasa, this place looks, feels and smells like a million bucks
- There's lovely hot water at all times
- Beds are extremely comfortable, huge and simply heavenly
- Everything is fantastically clean, sheets are crisp and stark white, pillows are fluffy
- Room service (especially when you're returning to the room after 8 hours on the road) is delicious because you get your familiar comforts (eg. spaghetti carbonara, wonton soup, warm walnut tart) after days of roadside restaurant foods
- There is a humidifer in the room!! This small gesture was greatly appreciated, you wouldn't realise how big a difference it makes until you're there
- The staff are generally helpful, though it helps if you speak Mandarin
The location isn't the best - it's in a quiet area of town and you're a 15 minute walk to the heart of Barkhor Street. But there are convenience stalls just opposite the hotel where you can get basic supplies like water.
In short, if you need your creature comforts in a western style hotel, this is THE place to stay in Lhasa. At a more affordable rate than St Regis but actually still rather pricey by any standards.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Starwood APAC, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Four Points by Sheraton Lhasa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Points By Sheraton Lhasa
- Four Points By Sheraton Lhasa Hotel Lhasa
- Four Points Lhasa
- Sheraton Lhasa
- Lhasa Four Points
- Lhasa Sheraton
- Four Points By Sheraton Lhasa Tibet