“What a one in a lifetime experience” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 74 things to do in Lhasa
Houston, Texas, United States
8 attraction reviews
“What a one in a lifetime experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

45 hours on this train is a life experience that will never be forgotten by me or my fellow tour travellers. After successfully making it through the numerous passport and ticket checks, actually getting on the train and figuring out what bed we had each been assigned to, then commenced an experience in neatness, closeness and patience. I was fortunate enough to have a bed on the bottom (very desirable). I passed the time chatting to fellow passengers, reading, looking out the window, hopping on and off the train when it stopped at big stations, eating (food was fine but a little odd), and sleeping. All was really rather pleasant except for 1 enormous aspect - the TOILET IS DISGUSTING! Take your own toilet paper and some vicks vabour rub for under your nose. Also buy enough water for the entire journey either before you get on or as soon as the cart comes around as they ran out c.14 hours before we arrived in Lhasa, which was a little stressful. Good luck!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
14 attraction reviews
“Very comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We bought tickets for soft sleepers from Lhasa to Xining with the 8:30-am train (K918) through China highlights. We picked up the ticket (with our passports) at the ticket office at the Lhasa station. I was happy that my guide helped me to do this because there were many people. Moreover, many people try to cut the line.

We brought lots of instant noodles and snacks with us. I found the journey very pleasant. We sat n our compartment and started with breakfast. Then, we enjoyed the view, laid around, read something, etc. The electricity plug in our compartment worked well. The free hot water was great. The toilets smelled after a while but no bad appearance. I kept an empty bottle so that I can throw water over the toilets before I used to damp the smell.

Anyway, I thought that I should continue to Xi'An directly instead of getting off in Xi Ning and taking a flight to Xi'An. English is not widely used in Xining. People got annoyed with my broken Mandarin (probably because I look Chinese.). At the end, the flight was 2.5 hours delayed. So I wished I could have stayed in the comfy bed in the train.

Dusseldorf
28 attraction reviews
“A very long trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The train experience it's once in a lifetime trip. The train it's quite clean don't expect too much from toilets and be prepared to the smell. The food is also very good but the personal doesn't speak English.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
165 attraction reviews
“Great landscape near Tibet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

This is the world's highest train journey. If you are coming from Beijing be prepared for the high altitude and make sure you drink lots of water.

We booked a berth in the first class cabin as we slept in the 6 berth cabins before. We hoped we'd have a bit more head-space in the 4 berth. The cabin has luggage storage above the door and under the beds. The beds do not lift up so if you have a wide rucksack/bag, like us, you will probably have to use the overhead storage.

Bedding is provided along with slippers. The toilets were fairly clean ( in comparison to other Chinese toilets). At times there was even a toilet roll! Be sure to have toilet roll and wet wipes handy.

If you can stock up on food and drinks then do so, the prices on the train was higher than other Chinese trains, about a third from memory.

In regards to food, a trolley is brought about but depending on where you are on the train dictates as to whether there will be any left. If you do go to the restaurant car and do not speak or read Chinese then have a few Chinese meals in translate ready. When we were on board they had pork and vegetable with rice. If you don't fancy this then stock up on dries noodles as there is hot water available 24 hours per day.

The views coming out of Lhasa onto the Tibetan plain were fantastic. It is a log journey and at times it is boring but make sure you enjoy the views of Tibet.

The train takes 38 hours because of the route it takes. The Chinese are planning to make the route more direct in the future.

A great way to travel from Lhasa to Beijing or vice versa. You may get to meet some new people. We spent most of the time talking to a medical student from Hong Kong. It was very interesting to hear her views on China.

Visited May 2014
Competa, Spain
21 attraction reviews
“trip from Lhasa to Chengdu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Did this trip the other way but still the same glorious scenery along this mighty plain past a massive lake and through the mountains many wild animals along the route and lots of Yaks to provide butter for the monastery candles? Our trip took two days as the train went nearly back to Xian and then looped down to Chengdu.The problem with the trip is the train! and the attendants all Chinese. half the toilets were permanently locked the restaurant car seems to be there exclusively for the staff. There is not a lot of room so if you can afford it book two berths. And the very heavy handed security at Lhasa station is ridiculous. But we enjoyed the trip

Visited June 2014