“A very luxurious place to stay while enjoying Lhasa” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Regis Lhasa Resort

You added St. Regis Lhasa Resort to your Saves list
St. Regis Lhasa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.22 Jiangsu Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa 850000, China   |
Ranked #1 of 297 Hotels in Lhasa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Marshall, Texas
“A very luxurious place to stay while enjoying Lhasa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Very nice large guest rooms, with enormous bathrooms as well. All the amenities you would expect from a 5 star property. A few quirks - the layout of the buildings, grounds, and interior corridors is a bit odd and takes some getting used to. We had to request a map in order to locate the pool. The outside lights were never on when we walked to breakfast in the morning, and it was quite dark along the walkway. The front desk people were very helpful when we had to get a cab to rejoin our group who were out touring, assisting with translation, etc. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Cherry L, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments have been well documented and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest service and to rectify any other existing issues present.

We would like to apologize again and we look forward to warm welcoming you back to our resort again in the near future. Thank you!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Villa Park, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel itself was striking in its decor. The lobby was beautiful. Accomodations lovely. I satyed in a very large room with a view of the Potala Palace. True the place was NOT walking distance but I had a private guide and driver so that didn't matter. The bathroom had a heated floor, an interesting luxury that was a new experience to me. When my private steward asked me if I wanted the floor heated I gave him a strange look. He flipped a switch and the floor warmed up. In he morning this was a really nice feature. Unfortunately when I tried to reach my "private" steward was unavailable as he was attending to other customers. I don't consider this a private steward.

The restaurants were a bit of a disappointment. The Tibetan restaurant served only a fixed meal. The meal itself was good but it would have been nice to have choices. The Chinese restaurant was a bit of a walk from the main building. Food was good but I had the Mapo Tofu, having had it in Chengdu. Chengdu was by far better. The breakfast was nice and was included with the room.

They also demanded a 1000 yuan deposit on my credit card which I though excessive as my room was prepaid.

Room Tip: Get a view room of the palace in the main building. Villas are separate, no view and I doubt if the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We appreciate receiving feedback and it is always shared with our team here.

I also want to take this opportunity to proudly let you know that we will be enhancing our signature St. Regis service in the near future for all our guests to experience;

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in August. I originally chose the St Regis as it was better quality accommodation compared to Four Points at Sheraton. It was my first time staying at a St Regis hotel but wasn't expecting too much as this was in Lhasa. Furthermore it was supposed to be the most luxurious accommodation in Lhasa.

When we arrived at the hotel, I was a little disappointed to see that the white walls at the entrance of the hotel were in need of repainting. Upon driving into the hotel up a slope, I got out of the car and was surprised to note that there was nobody to hold the door open for me. This was very untypical of a St Regis hotel. Check-in was relatively efficient and I got a room on the sixth floor which was situated in a building away from the main lobby. This was fine and I had looked forward to a good rest to acclimatise myself to the high altitude.

However once I arrived in the room, which was a very comfortable size and had a huge bathroom to boot, I realized that there seemed to be a radio playing in the background. With the television off and the room in complete silence, the music kept playing and then stopping. I called someone from housekeeping to take a look but she dismissed it as water running and said that it was because the room was on the sixth floor and that was why I kept hearing the sounds. I was having a headache at that point and decided to leave it as it was since I wanted to rest. That night, I went to bed early but kept hearing the music on and off for more than twelve hours!

The next day my tour guide advised me to change rooms and as I was feeling better after a good rest I did. They gave a room with a lake view closest to the lobby in the main building and I was very happy about it. The room was on the first floor and even had an outdoor verandah although I did not get to use it.

I felt that only a few of the staff knew how to speak English and it was passable at best. The hotel did not have a lot of guests which was good. Breakfast was ok. I tried the spa and it was good. Since there aren't many international hotels in Lhasa at the moment, I feel that St Regis is still the best although e price is quite steep.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Cherry L, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2013

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about Problems have been well documented and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest service and to rectify any other existing issues present.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at the Lhasa St. Regis a few weeks ago (a villa, Resa House).
When you stay in a St. Regis hotel or properties of a similar category you expect the best in terms of location, service, food and luxury. The Lhasa St. Regis only delivers in terms of luxury and to some extent location (but it still takes a 20-25 minutes walk to get to the Jokhang temple. If you think that you are near the Pothala Palace because you can see it from the hotel you are wrong. It is about a 45-50 minute walk).
Other reviewers have pointed out that service at the St. Regis is not very good and that is true. I can only remember 2 or 3 people with knowledge of the English language so it is not easy to communicate with the staff. But this is a minor issue as it seems that cleanliness is not a strength of the hotel. For 3 straight days we saw a bitten apple on the top of a wood cabinet placed in a hallway (2nd floor, Resa house). We made bets about when it would be picked it up but by the time we left it was still there!
Food at the hotel was disappointing. We had dinner at the Chinese and Tibetan restaurant plus the breakfast buffett. Both the Chinese and Tibetan restaurant are very small restaurants with very few customers. While the Chinese restaurant is OK, the Tibetan one is no good. Usually hotel restaurants in this category tend to be better than those restaurants outside the hotel but this was not the case. We had much better meals in Lhasa's historic downtown than at the St. Regis and at a tiny fraction of what we paid at the St Regis (our dinner at the Tibetan restaurant cost about US$170 for 2 persons, alcohol excluded).
As many other reviewers have mentioned the hotel is truly beautiful. Our villa was really great and we slept very well while there. But the hotel really lacks ambience. It is a huge hotel with very few guests and it shows. We were in high season but most public areas were empty, including the restaurants. And this is probably the main problem with the Lhasa St. Regis hotel: it is soulless.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

St. Regis Lhasa has a very unique decoration compared to other St. Regis I visited, in a good way. I like the many wood elements, it feels luxury and cosy. The hall with a full glass penal facing the Potala Palace is stunning. I was immediately greeted by the staffs and the check in was smooth. I stayed at 2 different types of room, 1 garden view and 1 Potala Palace view. In my opinion, I prefer the garden view, given the privacy and peacefulness. The Potala Palace view could be noisier as it is closer to the main road and if you want a good view, I suggest you to go to the balcony outside the main hall for better view without the glass window. I am not sure if it's just my room, but the Potala Palace room I had is quite a long walk to the entrance which is another thing I do not like.

From the hotel to the main road is a short walk with slope, which could be tiring after a whole day's activities outside at this altitude but not too big a problem. I guess this provided the hotel with better seclusion, but getting a taxi to go in or wait for the staffs to call a taxi into the main entrance is rather troublesome.

Breakfast was... hmm rather below St. Regis' standard.

Overall a good and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Room with Potala Palace view could be noisier and further away from the entrance.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write a review for us, we are happy to hear you had a memorable time during your stay in our resort.

We appreciate your positive comments and feedback; furthermore we hope to welcome you back to St. Regis Lhasa Resort in the very near future.

Warm regards from Lhasa,
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

An absolute gem in the heart of Lhasa, with huge rooms, impeccable service and excellent food. I highly recommend it to anyone planning a visit to Lhasa. Anyone who thinks a visit to Lhasa might involve 'roughing it' will be pleasantly amazed by their stay at the St. Regis

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Cherry L, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013

Warm regards from Lhasa,
Guest Relationship Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Echoing the other reviews. Hotel is good, great design, clean rooms, and good location. Service was personal and sincere. While we didn't see all the hotels, I'd imagine that this is the best hotel in Lhasa.

However, it is clear that the staff needs better training to get to the level one expects at a St. Regis. Employees seem sincere, but they don't always know how to respond to requests. We couldn't even order room service by phone for breakfast. Also service responses seem very rule-based, which may show that employees aren't given latitude to respond to specific scenarios.

Again, great physical hotel. Service has room to improve.

Room Tip: Ask for a Potala view (although may be an upcharge)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Guest Relationship Manager

Been to St. Regis Lhasa Resort? Share your experiences!