“Absolutely the best - second to none” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Regis Lhasa Resort

Save Saved
You added St. Regis Lhasa Resort to your Saves list
St. Regis Lhasa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.22 Jiangsu Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa 850000, China   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 272 hotels in Lhasa
Hong Kong, China
“Absolutely the best - second to none”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the second time I visited Lhasa, an amazing city. St Regis just come to my mind of excellence. The hotel is not obvious when you are seeing from outside (it's just a simple white wall covering the hotel). However, when you get into the hotel, you cannot stop surprising how it's nicely built, especially it's 3700m above the ground.

The services is excellent, a Bulter called Nicole has served me and she's very detailed in mind. She will help you in making all the necessary (when to wake up, breakfast, order tour, or taxi). It's just a one-stop services and contact you can find.

It's also nice to enjoy a Tibetian style Spa which is not very costly. The food is also not costly in terms of 5 star hotel. It's worth trying their Tibetian restaurant and Chinese restaurant. The western buffet is okay but not many variety to choose.

The hotel located not exactly at the city center, but it takes about 10 mins walk to the main street (the Bajiao street). I suggest you to take a taxi to there and it only charge 10cny. However, catching a taxi in Tibet seems a bit difficult..

Still pondering the time in Lhasa, it's certainly one of my most relaxing trip ever in my life, and add my special thanks to St Regis!

Room Tip: Can try to find a room can see into the Potala Palace. The room facing the central pool is also love...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear Joejoejoehk,

Thank you for your kind review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in December.

I am very pleased to hear that Nicole and the Butler team of the St. Regis Lhasa made your stay even more comfortable and please rest assured that we will acknowledge Nicole's outstanding service delivered to you.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Lhasa and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Luxury and the best hotel in Lhasa, and of course, the most expensive one, but its best services and facilities make it worth. It makes my stay in Lhasa this time much more comfortable than years ago.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Froehlich A,

Warm greetings from the Roof of the World!

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

A real surprise in Lhasa, which does not have a surfeit of luxury hotels and visitor facilities. Hotel is well designed in an extraordinary and convenient location. Opulent facilities, large and well maintained rooms, very good service, and interesting restaurants. Not inexpensive, but worth the price if you are seeking luxury and quiet within Lhasa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear jpmsenior,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the Roof of the World and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The St. Regis was everything we were expecting and more. Considering the difficulty in traveling to Tibet (coming from the US) including jet lag, altitude sickness, etc., we were so fortunate to be able to stay at a place that really accommodated our every need.

The design in beautiful and in keeping with the Tibetan architecture which we really appreciated. The rooms are extremely spacious and we just loved the underfloor heating in the bathroom. The rooms had cans of oxygen in case you needed it but luckily we didn't need it. What was interesting was that due to the altitude and the dry air my husband and I would get frequent nosebleeds and I think the manager must have overheard us mentioning this to another couple we met and later that day when we returned to our room I was shocked to see a humidifier running in our room! So thoughtful!

The food was delicious and the breakfast buffet was always filling as well as visually stunning. They are very open to accommodating our requests and even brought us halal meat to prepare a special dinner for us the night before we left in their traditional Tibetan restaurant. At lunch they would frequently make us fish curries even if it wasn't on the menu since we enjoyed it so much. I loved the hot chocolate and the coffee. If you get a chance, try out the tea room! I've never seen such an extensive tea menu!

The spa was great. My husband and I were able to have a couples massage that started with a foot ritual. The therapists were kind and gentle and soft spoken. The only negative experience I had was with the male gentlemen that works in the spa. After he checked us in and led us to our room, he told us the therapists would be in in a few moments and he left. We changed into our robes and got comfortable and suddenly he barged right into our room and said "oh you can take a shower if you want!" I was so extremely uncomfortable because I was not appropriately dressed and was expecting only the female therapists to come in. However that was the only negative experience we had so I won't let it overshadow an otherwise pretty perfect stay.

Lastly I want to thank the entire team and staff at the St. Regis Lhasa. There was never a day during our 4 night stay that we didn't get approached by one of the managers making sure we had everything we needed and if there was anything else they can do for us. I love that they are so visible and so approachable. In a foreign country like Tibet that sort of welcoming feeling is really appreciated! And thank you to Edward and Bebo for going above and beyond to make our stay so memorable.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Tibet. Its close walking distance to so much including open markets, cultural centers, temples, etc. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We were in a room in a building removed from the main building which is fine but when it gets cold t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear ChefUzma,

Warmest greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

First of all, thank you for your nice review, it was great meeting you during your stay and I am glad that you enjoyed it. We always try to go above and beyond to make sure our guests enjoy their stays in this special location.

My sincerest apologies for the incident in our Iridium SPA, I have spoken with our SPA Manager already and the appropriate training has been put in place to ensure this does not happen again.

Again, thank you and warmest regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the St. Regis in Lhasa and had a truly incredible experience. We stay in 5 star hotels around the world and this was one of the best. From the spacious rooms with views of the Potala Palace to the very kind staff, it was an incredible place. Our children were treated so well with gifts delivered to them every day, an amazing (gold tiled) pool for them to swim in and any food request delivered with an understanding smile.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. While these are the smaller rooms, they are still very large.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear 2243,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your nice review, I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

It is nice to hear that your kids did enjoy the little give aways and our golden pool as well.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

didn`t expect such a fantastic hotel in that part of the world ,spacious and impecably clean rooms very friendly staff. the place is really very calm and zen . one of the restaurant has an excellent view of the potala palace. the spa is awesome the crown in the jewel being the swimming pool inside the spa its really out of the world . my friend had some breathing problem/headache due to the altitude but was very well taken care of by the in house medical team . our stay was one which i cant ever forget it was just great

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Vettackal,

Thank you for your nice review of our Hotel, we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

It is good to hear that you find our beautiful Si Zi Kang Tibetan Restaurant which has the views of the Potala Palace and of course our Iridium SPA with the famous Golden Pool.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Lhasa and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Wombourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the St.Regis hotel, Lhasa last month and were very favourably impressed with the hotel and its staff.

Our butler showed us to the room 1516 (overlooking the Potala Palace) which was vast. It was divided into three areas which could all be curtained off for privacy if necessary. It was our wedding anniversary during our stay and our room was decorated with rose petals on the bed and a vase of red roses followed by delivery of chocolate cake once we had settled in.

The main bedroom had a seating area with coffee table and comfy sofa and a separate area with an apple docking station and free wifi for laptops etc. The minibar was well stocked and there was a good supply of tea and coffee in this area too. The bathroom was one step higher than the rest of the room and had two sinks, deep bath, walk in shower and separate glass enclosed toilet. Each sink had a powerpoint at the side so I could dry my hair whilst my husband was shaving. Lots of white fluffy towels and good quality toiletries, comb, mending kit etc. Bottled water was replenished in the bathroom and by the side of our bed several times each day. All windows in the bedroom and bathroom had views of Potala Palace.

One plus point on the bathroom was the lighting; once we put the main lights off at night small discrete floor lights showed the way to the bathroom so there were no stubbed toes in the middle of the night.

The TV had HBO as well as many other English speaking channels so I did not miss CSI Miami! This was most welcome on our first night as we both suffered from the altitude which, although not as bad as some other reports did give us a pounding headache in the middle of your forehead and trying to get as much air into your lungs as you could was a bit panicky but this seemed to go by the following day and we were able to climb all the steps at Potala Palace.

We ate in the Social restaurant each day for breakfast which had a wonderful supply of cooked to order and fresh meats, salads, breads etc.I settled for fresh cooked ham and cheese omelette each morning. We had dinner in the Social restaurant a couple of times as the Tibetan restaurant was empty so lacked atmosphere (you could have the same food in the Social restaurant anyway) but we did eat in the Tibetan restaurant one night as it was so beautifully furnished and decorated. I had Yak curry and Tibetan noodles which were delicious. The only minor complaint I found with the restaurants if you ordered wine by the glass it had to come from the Decanter bar on another floor to the restaurant which could take a little while. I think if the wine is offered by the glass there should be at least one bottle of that particular wine in the restaurant. Having said that the food was good and staff very pleasant, I have just read a review from someone commenting on the lack of English spoken but during our stay if there was any doubt on what we were ordering/asking the waitress called for help from another member of staff who was more fluent. With the absurd restrictions being put on getting visas into Tibet I was astounded to find the Tibetan people so delightful. When we were exploring the streets by ourselves, we encountered nothing but friendly smiling faces (except for the Chinese guards) we were greeted with handshakes and faltering English sentences from toddlers to aged pensioners.

We did visit the Spa, I particularly wanted to swim in the Golden Pool but I found it much too hot (not the water but the air temperature in the pool and dressing areas) - this might have been due to my suffering a bit from altitude sickness but I couldn't stay for a swim or treatment.

The hotel had a gentle elegant feeling and there were lots of antique treasures on tables and shelves throughout the hotel (I daresay when more Western tourists start visiting these will have to be locked a\way). The hotel shop stocked an assortment of local paintings, jewellery and scarves which were specially made for the St. Regis and of exceptional quality. Tibet is too far for me to ever return but it will stay in my mind and heart as a place of exceptional beauty both of the landscape and its people.

Room Tip: Wait for your altitude sickness to disappear before sightseeing. Don't miss the light and water...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KerryWombourne,

Thank you for your nice and extensive review of your stay with us last month.

We are glad that you did enjoy it and rest assured that your comments on the wine delivery and the temperature in the Pool area are well noted and that improvements are under way.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit Lhasa and Tibet again, as you can easily spent a week or more in Lhasa alone and still have not yet visited all the sites.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to St. Regis Lhasa Resort? Share your experiences!