“Hey Ma, I'm on top of the world!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Regis Lhasa Resort

Save Saved
You added St. Regis Lhasa Resort to your Saves list
St. Regis Lhasa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   No.22 Jiangsu Road, Chengguan District, Lhasa 850000, China   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 297 Hotels in Lhasa
Wombourne
“Hey Ma, I'm on top of the world!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the St.Regis hotel, Lhasa last month and were very favourably impressed with the hotel and its staff.

Our butler showed us to the room 1516 (overlooking the Potala Palace) which was vast. It was divided into three areas which could all be curtained off for privacy if necessary. It was our wedding anniversary during our stay and our room was decorated with rose petals on the bed and a vase of red roses followed by delivery of chocolate cake once we had settled in.

The main bedroom had a seating area with coffee table and comfy sofa and a separate area with an apple docking station and free wifi for laptops etc. The minibar was well stocked and there was a good supply of tea and coffee in this area too. The bathroom was one step higher than the rest of the room and had two sinks, deep bath, walk in shower and separate glass enclosed toilet. Each sink had a powerpoint at the side so I could dry my hair whilst my husband was shaving. Lots of white fluffy towels and good quality toiletries, comb, mending kit etc. Bottled water was replenished in the bathroom and by the side of our bed several times each day. All windows in the bedroom and bathroom had views of Potala Palace.

One plus point on the bathroom was the lighting; once we put the main lights off at night small discrete floor lights showed the way to the bathroom so there were no stubbed toes in the middle of the night.

The TV had HBO as well as many other English speaking channels so I did not miss CSI Miami! This was most welcome on our first night as we both suffered from the altitude which, although not as bad as some other reports did give us a pounding headache in the middle of your forehead and trying to get as much air into your lungs as you could was a bit panicky but this seemed to go by the following day and we were able to climb all the steps at Potala Palace.

We ate in the Social restaurant each day for breakfast which had a wonderful supply of cooked to order and fresh meats, salads, breads etc.I settled for fresh cooked ham and cheese omelette each morning. We had dinner in the Social restaurant a couple of times as the Tibetan restaurant was empty so lacked atmosphere (you could have the same food in the Social restaurant anyway) but we did eat in the Tibetan restaurant one night as it was so beautifully furnished and decorated. I had Yak curry and Tibetan noodles which were delicious. The only minor complaint I found with the restaurants if you ordered wine by the glass it had to come from the Decanter bar on another floor to the restaurant which could take a little while. I think if the wine is offered by the glass there should be at least one bottle of that particular wine in the restaurant. Having said that the food was good and staff very pleasant, I have just read a review from someone commenting on the lack of English spoken but during our stay if there was any doubt on what we were ordering/asking the waitress called for help from another member of staff who was more fluent. With the absurd restrictions being put on getting visas into Tibet I was astounded to find the Tibetan people so delightful. When we were exploring the streets by ourselves, we encountered nothing but friendly smiling faces (except for the Chinese guards) we were greeted with handshakes and faltering English sentences from toddlers to aged pensioners.

We did visit the Spa, I particularly wanted to swim in the Golden Pool but I found it much too hot (not the water but the air temperature in the pool and dressing areas) - this might have been due to my suffering a bit from altitude sickness but I couldn't stay for a swim or treatment.

The hotel had a gentle elegant feeling and there were lots of antique treasures on tables and shelves throughout the hotel (I daresay when more Western tourists start visiting these will have to be locked a\way). The hotel shop stocked an assortment of local paintings, jewellery and scarves which were specially made for the St. Regis and of exceptional quality. Tibet is too far for me to ever return but it will stay in my mind and heart as a place of exceptional beauty both of the landscape and its people.

Room Tip: Wait for your altitude sickness to disappear before sightseeing. Don't miss the light and water...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear KerryWombourne,

Thank you for your nice and extensive review of your stay with us last month.

We are glad that you did enjoy it and rest assured that your comments on the wine delivery and the temperature in the Pool area are well noted and that improvements are under way.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit Lhasa and Tibet again, as you can easily spent a week or more in Lhasa alone and still have not yet visited all the sites.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this St. Regis as part of the land portion of a river cruise in China. The room that we were given overlooked a lovely and large pond. I never tired of gazing out of any of the three windows in our room and bathroom...such a calm feeling. The room was grand - huge, meticulously clean with an abundance of closets, well furnished and comfortable with a spacious bathroom with double sinks, large soaking tub, separate shower, fluffy towels, and glassed in commode. ( I have to agree with other reviewers that more privacy in that area would have been welcomed.) The staff was friendly and great. My husband needed the doctor because of altitude sickness, and she came very quickly and gave him wonderful care. The lobby was a pleasure to be in, and the buffet breakfast superb. It would have been helpful to have the path from the main hotel to our building lighted at night, but this was a very small inconvenience. My only real complaint is that I did not find the pillows comfortable. For me they were too high and hard. This would not deter me from staying here again, however, if I were ever able to return to Tibet. This hotel, like Tibet, is a unique and wonderful place to be

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear MDTravelers60,

Thank you for your review!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here in sunny Lhasa!

Please rest assured that we are working on improving our exterior lighting as we speak and that we do have a selection of pillows at our guest's disposal, please contact your butler during your next stay and they will be glad to assist you.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had our fair share of ups and downs with this property. Resort is amazingly beautiful. The architecture blends in perfectly with the surroundings. The feel, the serenity of this place just makes you feel so calm and relaxed. The rooms are well-designed and spacious. We had a Grand Deluxe room (which was a suite for SPG Platinum members) for 3 nights and shifted to a suite facing the Potala Palace after some complaints.

The Grand Deluxe room we had on the 4th floor was great, only problem is the afternoon sun which was affecting the room temperature even though it’s winter. Avoid the suite rooms at Level 2 for 2 major reasons. 1) Suites are located below the restaurant. Every movement of the chairs and tables by the guests are heard loud and clear in the bedroom. 2) The suites reeked of cigarette smell. Even after spraying air-freshener by the housekeeper, the smell still lingered. It was suffocating especially when we also have to deal with altitude sickness. Signs of wear and tear were also showing in these rooms. We were finally given a better suite facing the Potala Palace which is in a better condition.

As for service wise, hotel staffs are friendly although they do not really understand or speak English well. They try their very best to accommodate the guests. There should be more staff at work especially during night shift as there was one night where we were shifting the luggage ourselves due to staff shortage.

Reading the recent reviews, we can see that Edward and team are doing a great job and hopefully Edward will solve all the teething problems and bring the level of service to be on par with the St Regis branding.

Room Tip: Try to request for the suite room facing the Potala Palace
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear syloft,

Thank you so much for your review on your stay from November last year.

I remember you and your wife well, and I recall we had snow on the morning you departed from our hotel.

Obviously your comments are very much appreciated, and you and other readers can rest assured that we have improved a lot since last year based on the comments you made during your stay.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to our beautiful resort in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised to find such a wonderful hotel in remote Lhasa. The St. Regis Lhasa can easily compete with the best hotels in Beijing and Shanghai (Peninsula, Park Hyatt, etc.), which is twice as meritorious when you consider how isolated it is.

It has stunning views of the Potala Palace. The views are hard to match for any other hotel in any other part of the world. It is expensive but Tibet is probably not where you want to scrimp on your hotel bill. With the altitude sickness, the lack of English and the difficulty in getting there, having an oasis at the St. Regis is worth every penny. I very highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the Potala Palace.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear FabianaChina,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your nice review, it is very much appreciated, we are especially humbled with the comparison to such luxury properties in Shanghai and Beijing.

We hope to welcome you back to amazing Lhasa, Tibet, China!

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

A five star hotel in Tibet seems out of place but it exists. I credit the management team for the hotel's success. Location is great - walkable to the center of the city.

We were fortunate to stay in a suite with a stunning view of the Potala Palace. Beyond the view the layout of the suite was fantastic.

Some points I want to make about the hotel -

Great breakfast buffet each morning at Social. Regarding food, dinner at the hotel'sTibetan restaurant Si Zi Kang was delicious. Wonderful service. During our stay the Tibetan restaurant only had a few dinner guests each evening but I'm not sure why? It offered a view of the palace from many of the tables. Add the delicious food and it is a great asset for the resort. Side note - I usually like to dine at local restaurants but after a day exploring and the last thing we felt like doing was leaving the hotel at night.

Yup the altitude affected us. Traveling from DC acclimating to Tibet was a challenge. My traveling partner actually suffered so much from the altitude that we had to call the hotel doctor. The doctor provided an IV with medicine plus an oxygen tank for our suite. After an hour he was a new man. Our butler helped with the doctor visit as did hotel management. The St. Regis really looked out for us during our stay.

The only questionable part of our stay was the in-house travel agency. We used them to secure our Tibetan tourist visa which is required to enter Tibet. (Side story - we were checking in for our flight from Chengdu to Lhasa and the couple next to us were denied boarding because they didn't have an entry visa. They thought they didn't need one since they were staying at the St. Regis and were able to book airline tickets without a visa. Wrong. They were an older couple and you could tell they were disappointed...all the while blaming American Express travel for not get them into Tibet.) Anyway back to my comment about the in-house travel agent. We were told we had to book excursions every day we were in Tibet otherwise we wouldn't be able to leave the hotel unescorted. For the record in May of 2012 this wasn't the case. Yes we need to have a travel company to secure your tourist visa by paying them to arranging tours, but as far as I know we didn't need to book an excursion every day. That being said I am glad we went someplace new every day. Each day we found ourselves fascinated by the Tibetan people and the scenery. In the long run I'm glad I was told I wouldn't be able to leave the hotel without an escort, but as of May 2012 that wasn't true. If you are staying a week or longer you might want to skip for a day or two of your stay.

Final note - had a massage at the spa. AMAZING! You must book. I also wanted to comment about the Chinese restaurant on property Yan Ting. Not thrilling. Maybe because I had just traveled from Hong Kong but I preferred theTibetan restaurant on property...although the Chinese restaurant has a lovely outside terrace.

I would highly recommend the St. Regis to anyone considering a trip to Lhasa. Safe travels!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear DRMBinDC,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that you discovered our hidden jewel the Si Zi Kang Tibetan Restaurant located right above our All Day Dining Restaurant Social.
Please be assured that the 3rd party travel agency located in our hotel informed you correctly that you are required to be accompanied by a tour guide when going outside and that you require a full itinerary in order to obtain a Tibet Travel Permit.

I hope to welcome you back to Lhasa and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort in the future.

Best regards,

Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever had the privilege to stay in. We spent three nights in late August. Weather was perfect. From the moment you drive through the gates till you are escorted to your room, this place has impeccable service. The public areas are awesomely beautiful. The main lobby has a spectacular view of the Potola Palace and the beautiful mountains. The indoor pool is not to be believed. It is all gold tiles and it is like swimming inside a Tibetan Temple. The room - oh my! We had a standard room, which was bigger than most New York apartments. There were two large, extremely comfortable beds, an office-like alcove, with a well-stocked mini-bar. There are cans of Oxygen in the mini-bar. Gotta love that! Two very large closets, a sofa, coffee table, easy chair, huge flat screen TV and slatted wooden sliding screens that give privacy to the step up spa-like bath. Bathroom is enormous. Two sinks, very large soaking tub with wonderful fluffy towels and robes, an extremely large shower and lots of spa like goodies. Fresh fruit awaited us on the coffee table. Because of our very busy schedule, we only ate in the Social restaurant, which was quite pretty and very good. ( I recommend the Caesar Salad and the beef burgers. Perfect French Fries! ) There are several other restaurants in the hotel, and others traveling with us who dined at them were quite impressed. If you are a wine fan, they have an extensive wine list with wines from all over the world. This will now be the standard by which I measure all hotels. I will be going back to Tibet soon and one of the main reasons is to spend more time at this incredible hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Michael G,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your recent review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to our beautiful resort in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The staff, management, and food were wonderful. Great location, and the rooms were spacious and clean. Beautiful view of Potola Palace. Everyone was very attentive the first night making sure none of us were suffering the effects of the altitude change. We dined all three nights at the hotel, and every meal was wonderful. Their Chinese restuarant was exceptional, as were the Tibetan items on their menu. Even their gift shop was well done, with a lovely and well chosen variety of Tibetan crafts and jewelery. The staff in the shop were very nice and helpful. If you consider staying in Lhasa, dont stay anywhere else. Edward, the manager, was excellent, and our tour guide Jim was amazing. Fabulous trip, beautiful surroundings, and great hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear ann marie k,

Thank you for your review, we are very glad that you have enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back to Lhasa and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to St. Regis Lhasa Resort? Share your experiences!