“Terrible for sleep and washing, but the food was good.” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing to your Saves list
Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing
Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing
2.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   B5, 1865 Park, No.388 Yingtian Street, Qinhuai District, Nanjing 210006, China   |
Ranked #426 of 1,478 hotels in Nanjing
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Terrible for sleep and washing, but the food was good.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Upon arriving in Nanjing we thought we'd be clever and print off the map and directions to the hostel from the metro station. Only to find we were led into the correct estate but to the wrong location. Upon trying to speak to every security guard and local restaurant worker who all spoke minimal if any English and had no idea what was within a 150m radius of their establishment we eventually found it hidden up behind some office buildings.
The service was OK, they didn't speak English very well but they knew enough to get by and be as helpful as they could. The bunk beds were highly flimsy and creaky so I spent most my night being awoken to what I always though was my friend potentially falling through the bunk. Out of the 4 male showers to share between the whole floor only 2 had shower heads and the toilets weren't ideal. The only redeeming feature was the meals were good portions and very tasty. So if you're passing (which you won't be since it's nowhere near anything) I'd recommend dropping in for a meal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed two nights in the dorm. Its a litle off, but convinient to reach from the the south railway station. Dorm is clean and small. Toillet and shower facility is not very clean. The hallways had an akward smell. Staff is friendly. Restaurant is not cheap and the food was not tasty. They have a nice oven where you can sit and warm up in these cold days. This place must be nicer once the summer comes since they have a garden and a terrace. All in all it was ok for me travelling alone and for the two nights.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We have stayed in many budget/hostel type of accommodation in China. Many of them are labelled "backpackers or youth hostels" but they are in fact cosy bed and breakfasts and are super value for money. This one I am afraid disappointed on all fronts. We were a group of friends that travelled to Nanjing for the weekend and were looking for accommodation that could also accommodate kids. From check inn to check out we encountered one disaster after the other. The staff are not well trained for their job or simply don't care. Restaurant orders were done incorrectly, meals never arrived. Bills were a nightmare to sort out. The food was not good at all. The best thing about the place was a good variety of Belgian (cold) beers. Another plus point was that our bed was big and comfortable and the air conditioning worked (although it sounded like it is going to rattle out of the wall any second). It is NOT a small cosy backpackers but rather a large hotel that hosts raucus parties on the weekend. I heard the worse ever open air karaoke this weekend! Oh, and did I mention that I woke up with a strange guy and all his luggage in my room at two o' clock in the morning arguing with me that I was in the wrong room and refused to leave!
The place also is not cheap and I have stayed in many 4 star hotels in China for the same price. As far as the kids are concerned they had fun in the little forest behind the hotel but they were completely devoured by mosquitoes (despite precautions). There is a very beautiful pottery museum on the premises and that (sort of) saved the weekend. Close by attractions are the Nanjing city wall that is walking distance and quite worthwhile visiting. The Nanjing massacre memorial is quite far away and the easiest way is to take a taxi there. The bus service is confusing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Guys!!! A piece of advice - DO NOT STAY in this hotel!!!
I will tell you my story and you make necessary conclusions:

Me and my boyfriend planed a perfect trip to Nanjing for my birthday, we were supposed to stay at Garden hotel for two nights. We booked romantic room 508 RMB per night.
Our story started straight at the check in, the guy asked us for deposit of 200RMB for the room. I gave him cash than he asked us to pay straight for 2 nights. I asked if we could pay at the check out, he said yes but till than he will keep my passport as a guarantee. I told him that there is no way he will keep my passport for 2 days and leave me without documents. I said that I will give him my credit card details as a guarantee and in a case of me running away with their TV he will charge me. He said OK and took my credit card and lock it at his desk, when I asked him what he is doing he said taking your credit card away for 2 days. Well, as you can imagine I was already pretty furious staying at the reception for an hour trying to figure out why this “receptionist” wants to take all my personal belongings away. I said I will pay buy card, he charges me 1200, me assuming that I will get my cash deposit back put my PIN and wait. He takes the receipt and nothing else. I asked for my cash deposit back, he refused saying I will get it back at the check out, after numerous questions why I should give him in total 382 RMB as a deposit, some girl from a management gave me cash back. After around 50 sorry that they told me, 2 cups of coffee and 2 beers offered and refused we finally went to the room. And what we found there? NO HOT WATER, NO INTERNET, and SMELLING ROOM. We went down asking what is going on, they told us we will get the water when we will be back. Ok, we want to the city, 10PM we are back, still no hot water. All day shift is gone, night one barely speak English, on our question for what we are paying 1016 RMB they could not say. But one guy at the reception explained why we don’t have internet, it is because we have Apple and Apple could not reach the signal. I showed them the description to the hotel saying WI-FI at the entire hotel and free of charge, but what the hell still Apple’s fault and plus we are lucky enough to have WI-FI at the lobby, why we are complaining about rooms?!! Well sum up it was already 23:30pm, we were demanding our money so we can get out of this horrible place and to move to other hotel but noo wayyy The boss, whom they were calling for 1 hour straight refused to do that, telling that we should spend at least 1 night there. We refused, after 2 hours they sent as GM’s assistant to talk, after explaining the whole story AGAIN , she AGAIN called the boss. Well at the end, after 3 hours we managed to get our money back and went to Eastern Pearl Hotel, which was really nice. I hope my story will help you fellow travellers!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelers' Soul Inn Nanjing? Share your experiences!