“Adventures in Foodland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Grill + Bar at Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

Mandarin Grill + Bar at Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5 Connaught Road Central | Central, Hong Kong 000000, China (Central)
+852 2825 4004
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 5,128 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Overseen by Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong's Executive Chef Uwe Opocensky, the Mandarin Grill + Bar is proud to have retained its Michelin star for the sixth year running. Using the finest organic ingredients and seasonally inspired produce, we offer an exciting interpretation of grill classics with a dash of progressive gastronomy. Overlooking Statue Square and Chater Garden, decor is wonderfully vibrant with a moulded scallop-inspired ceiling, Gerard D'A Henderson paintings and a central banquette upon which a selection of stunning white lily floral arrangements are displayed.
Hong Kong, China
“Adventures in Foodland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Visited for an early Valentine's Day celebration and treated ourselves to the tasting menu with paired wine - leaving all decisions up to chef Uwe and his team.

Turned out to be the right decision. Simply one of the most incredible culinary experiences we've had. A real adventure over eight courses with phenomenal flavours, combinations and a wealth of surprises. Developed a childlike sense of wonder and anticipation with every plate change. Highlights included the table-top picnic, the seasonal woodland tree, the hot beeswax cured trout, the exquisite melt-in-your-mouth Japanese beef, and the deconstructed black forest gateau, literally built by hand on the table top by the chef himself. All was served and managed by the excellent (almost prescient) Mandarin waiting staff.

Hunger was sated way before the end of the meal, but was impossible to stop eating. Rolled out at the end of the meal overfed, entertained and very content.

Thoroughly, thoroughly recommended.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Da Nang, Vietnam
“good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The visit to the Mandarin Oriental was an absolute highlight in Hong Kong. Okay, the purse is overused massive, but the presentation of the food is incredible. Each element is like a work of art. Beautiful crossover cuisine and quality absolutely on star level. The atmosphere is not overly strenuous and the service is very pleasant. All wishes could be fulfilled. Beautiful is the view of the kitchen or on the skyline.
Highly recommended!

Visited July 2013
Hong Kong, China
“It's the Service and Experience Most Valuable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Tried the 3-course lunch set at HK$628 plus 10% service charge. When I booked the table, I asked for the menu as the set menu was not shown online. I could receive the email from the hotel in 5 minutes only. Frankly, I found the most valuable part of the meal with this price is the service, the experience at a high class restaurant in a renowned hotel. I am not saying the food itself is no good, it's good, neatly presented, just that the taste is not that impressive to me with WOW, but the service is. During the whole meal, 4 or 5 waiters (English speaking foreign staff + Cantonese speaking local staff) ever come to attend me to make sure I enjoy the lunch. When I was leaving, the staff said goodbye with my surname.

The ambience at lunch is not that serious and people (businessmen/ tourists) can just relax, some even talk quite loudly.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Stockton Heath, United Kingdom
“Pure Theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were greeted immediately we arrived in the restaurant - one of my pet hates is being kept waiting without even being acknowledged! - offered drinks or asked if we wanted to go straight to our table. In fact we opted to go up to the Mwah bar (which had great views and felt very cosy) first.

When we came down again we went straight to our window table, with very good views again, and plenty of space between us and the next table - in fact there was a screen between us. I don't think we have ever had so much space and privacy before in a restaurant. Initially we were offered one of 5 or 6 different types of champagne from a wine cart and they were all discussed with us to make sure we got our particular preference.

Our first treat was what looked like a coconut macaroon but was actually a parmesan nibble quickly followed by a mushroom truffle which at first sight looked like a mini, mini burger in a bun, delicious. Then we received a green jelly type blob on a tapas type spoon which was an olive oil Amuse bouche and was even served with its own miniature (non edible) tree.

The first course arrived looking like a picture in a picture frame. The description was 'Winter' on the tasting menu and it was a 'picture' of a tree in winter with bare branches and roots etc but it was foie gras and sauces made to look like a picture with perfectly formed mushrooms from the fois gras - a truffle was grated over it to look like bark and - was it a white truffle?- something white to look like snow - we were just amazed and delighted. I don't think we had stopped smiling since we first sat down and we were so pampered too - just what was needed for a birthday celebration after a long month of deadlines and hard work pre-hol.

The next course arrived - it was a very hot rock delivered to the table with very thin slices of venison. We brushed 2 different types of herbed oil onto the rock with a mini stem of fir and cooked the slices which were ready almost instantly and melted in our mouths.

Next was an extremely delicately flavoured french onion consomme which was delicious. I was begining to struggle by this time and we hadn't even got to the main course which was a haunch of beef carved at the table. This was the only downside for me. It was perfect for my husband, who eats his rare but even though I know it tastes so much better like that I really cannot stand to eat something even slightly bloody. Of course there was no problem getting it cooked further for me but then it felt really chewy which I thought was my fault because of how I had it but my husband said his was the same. Really we should have said something but it felt churlish to complain when everything else was so wonderful and the accompiaments really were. Truffle mash, garlic potatoes, green beans and a fantastic tasting green leaf - couldn't quite pin down what it was - flavoured with lemon. I don't think I could actually have eaten the steak as well anyway. Oh the steak was also accompanied by a thick candle made of marrow bone with bread to dip in it.

The extra wow came with the dessert course. Everything was cleared from the table-candles, flowers etc - and a clear cover in 3 pieces put over it. A lady appeared with a cart with everything to make a cake which was then made on the table in front of us. Squares of choc cake soaked in kirsch - and they really were soaked!-went on top of the cake and a raspberry type of sauce over that and swirled around the table along with more cherries, also soaked in kirsch. A large slice of ice cream with smoke still swirling around it - very Hestentine!- went on top and - hey presto - we had a very unique black forest gateau.

At this point I was hoping they would forget I had asked for a birthday cake for my husband and then a tall, metallic looking candle appeared all lit ready for him to make a wish and blow out. So far so good then yet another jaw dropping moment when they sliced the top off the candle and then sliced and served the rest of the candle which was really a very tasty cake! Of course we hadn't realised this and hadn't taken photos which we discussed between ourselves and then another one appeared, lit etc all over again for us to have our photo opportunity!

We weren't going to have coffee but a display case arrived with cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods and star anise inside and two of each on a glass shelf on top, very nice but we did wonder why. Turned out these were our petit fours and the ones on the shelf were actually chocolates which were indistinguishable from the real ones in the case below. Just one surprise after another and the whole thing was just a real feast for taste, smell, sight. We felt as it we had been watching a theatrical production - another memorable birthday celebration.....................

Hong Kong
“Imaginative cooking with modern Hong Kong style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We went on a Friday night. Service was attentive by young staff. My beer order was forgotten. However the rest of service was excellent so justifying a very good rating.
Imaginative because venison was served as a panorama of a deer in a wood. Fish served with the scales fried and reconstituted as a spiky cover.
Worth a visit for the experience of a modern uber urban oriental restaurant serving "international" fare.