“Very busy , sat in a poor place but food was excellent!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lei Garden - International Finance Centre

Lei Garden - International Finance Centre
Shop 3008-3011 International Finance Centre, No.1 Habour View Street, Hong Kong, China (Central)
852-22950238
Improve this listing
Ranked #542 of 4,348 restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very busy , sat in a poor place but food was excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked a table in advance , but we still waited for 20 minutes for them to get a table during lunch time. They were very busy. Many people from main land China, some of them were very rude to the waitress - feel sorry for them.
Finally we were shown to our table but we were put in the back end in a corridor.
Never mind the atmosphere , food wise we had lobsters - fresh, we had absalone - divine!, the tim sum was also very nice.
Very satisfied and full up fell, cost two of us 2000+ HKD . For what we had was good value.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

67% Recommend
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Delightful experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My wife and I was able to make reservations for dinner at Lei Garden IFC on 15th November I day before but had to settle for the 2nd seating at 8.30pm. I took the opportunity to wander around IFC before my turn for dinner to pick up a bottle of French Red wine at Watson's wine a few door away from Lei Garden. We had earlier indicated we wanted them to reserve a portion of their roasted pork ( siew yok ) and the barbecue pork ( char siew ) and they obliged. The Siew Yok was one of the prettiest served in restaurants. Cubes were of the appropriate size and the skin was crispy. This is the hallmark of good Siew Yok whether you pop it into your mouth immediately or dip in mustard sauce first! Next we had the Steamed rice with waxed chinese sausages (two varieties) and chinese ham or Lap Mei Fun. Normally, the waxed duck should be the 4th ingredient. The restaurant must have their reasons for omitting the last. Maybe Chinese New Year is still far away ( later January 2014). Lap Mei Fun is a staple dish for Chinese Winter. I always enjoy Lap Mei Fun and Lei's is no different. We also had the fried Australian beef tenderloin which was simple and so tasty - matched my red wine! For the vegetable dish, we ordered the fried asparagus, gingko nuts and lily bulbs - yummy.....I musn't forget, the service was wonderful at IFC. We had the most delightful waitresses to serve us and engaged in interesting banter whenever possible. They are very busy and yet managed to chat with us during our dinner. There are many more dishes we would like to try and would havel to come back again. Thumbs up.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Reliably good dim-sum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

There is quite a difference in feel between the IFC branch and the one in Times Square. The dim sum is equally good in both but the IFC iOS more of a mixed crowd whereas Times Square is entirely local. The Times Square branch also has loads of private rooms for group gatherings.

Pork buns are great. Shanghai dumplings very good and not always easily found in HK.

Zurich, Switzerland
“Decent Dim-sum quality and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had our dim sum lunch with my husband (and baby) together with my dad and grandmother. Food came fast and quality was good. We had a good time really like the separated booth seating where we could have some privacy. Bill included 10% service charge I didn't quite like it when the server lady was standing RIGHT THERE watching me sign the bill while paying. A little privacy would be appreciated. But i guess that might be just cultural...

Visited October 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Michelin Schmichelin - extremely Bad Service at Shatin Branch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Michelin Guide is a bit of a joke in Hong Kong. The locals dismiss it (unfairly in my view) as a bunchy of foreigners who don't understand Cantonese food. And many foreigners used to its high standards in judging European restaurants in Europe are aghast at its low standards in awarding stars to some of the places it does.

This is another example of where the stars are given out to a restaurant which simply doesn't come close to a One Star restaurant in London, Paris or Berlin. The food here is good - as it is in many Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong. It's why I have tended to try a Lei Garden about once a year. But the service at the Shatin branch on this occasion was truly awful. What happened this time was that they simply forgot most of the main dishes that we ordered. We did think it was a bit strange that they served the rice soup just after the appetisers - we may be foreigners but we know that rice is usually served at the end in China - but we took that to be because it was soup, not rice. The service was very slow anyway so it was only after finishing the very big bowl of soup (three bowls each, we were hungry) and waiting half an hour that we realized there was a problem. They simply had lost our order.

The key to bad service is not whether you make mistakes though, but how you recover from them. There was no apology. The waitress actually remembered what we had ordered and told us that one of the dishes was now sold out. We settled for ordering two of the dishes again which eventually came. There was no word from the manager to apologize. Nothing complimentary was offered and at the end service was charged as usual. At the end they even laughed at us as we left (laughing at foreigners is undoubtedly part of the faux "authenticity" of the place). I suppose they thought it was our fault for not having suspected something when the rice came early and asked. Clearly forgetting to serve a customer's entire main course order is the customer's fault in the eyes of this restaurant. Disgusting attitudes from all the staff we encountered.

I was too angry to complain - I am pretty sure that this restaurant doesn't give two hoots what its customers think anyway. You get the impression that Lei Garden staff would equate complaining with losing face. It will be the last time I go to a Lei Garden. There are many other excellent restaurants in Hong Kong with good service to choose instead. It will also be the last time I buy a copy of the Hong Kong Michelin guide.

• Visited November 2013