“Better go to Havana.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cococabana

Cococabana
Shek O Beach Building, Shek O, Southern | (Nearest MTR - Shau Kei Wan), Hong Kong, China
+852 2812 2226
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,542 of 4,657 Restaurants in Hong Kong
3.5 of 5 stars 24 Reviews
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Late Night
Description: A beautiful venue with spectacular sea views located outside the bustling city of Hong Kong.
“Better go to Havana.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Again I find myself writing a review that starts with "Oh dear...!" I was really looking forward to some great Med food and service in a cracking location, unfortunately only one of these lived up to my expectations. Thank you HK for the great weather and the wonderful view at Shek O beach.

Let's break this down then for Cococabana...

Service was friendly but lacking. Wonderful to have a nice smile to greet each request, but perhaps I would prefer a more surly attitude if I actually got any service. With a group of ten (friends and family, so not a rowdy crowd by any means), we had to ask repeatedly for the most simple things - food and drink! Even getting the attention of the blinkered staff was a task unto itself, to the point you have to ask if it would be rude to get on the table and holler? Once ordered, the service and expediting of food and drink was painfully slow.

Interesting thing I saw for the first time ever was the process of order taking. Two of our group of ten ordered their main courses, and the waiter walked away. Not a word of explanation, just plain walked off to put the order in. Errrrr, another eight hungry people to feed here? I don't get it, the guy literally clicked his heels, turned 180 and headed off. I was actually mid order when he turned tail... so bizarre. We did get our order in 10 minutes later after much arm waving and gesticulation.

So, the two orders that went in came out ten minutes earlier than every one else's, however, this was not the problem.... OMG, "Hi, can I get some food with my food please?"

The portion sizes are tiny and the price high! Yes, come here if you are rich and have no idea of the price of a pint of milk, but really. When I pay HKD238 plus service - haha, they added service - the irony!, I expect something on my plate. So let me clue you in on the skinny.... Peri Peri chicken and chips was around HKD238+, the kids chicken and chips was HKD150. You would think that the adult portion would be significantly different? Well, you would be so right but so wrong. The only difference was the kids portion had 4 pieces of chicken, the adults had 2 and peri peri seasoning. So, Cococabana has just charged me 88HKD to halve the chicken portion and dust it in spicy powder. Yeah, well done - you've just made me want to come back again immediately! Please note the sarcasm...

By all means come for the view (which you can get for free on the public beach), come to flash your cash like a Rockerfeller wannabe, but don't come for decent swift service or anything to eat. Sandwich on the sand anyone?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Hong Kong, Chine
“Make sure you have ALOT of time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Lovely location, but you basically have to beg for service and that changes everything..
Not the most pleasant experience ?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Amazing lunch in a perfect location ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I've been hearing about this restaurant before but haven't had chance to try on every time I visit Hong Kong. One of my friend invited me there so I would join her this time.

We were group of 7 having lunch and decided to have bottle of Rose outside first since that was lovely weather with sunshine we couldn't miss it. Then we went inside by the window for lunch. Their decor was great, music was relaxing.

The wait staff served us bread once we have sat and patiently took our orders as we couldn't make up our mind with plenty of attractive options on the menu. Starters had arrived in a short time, We've tried the antipasti, tuna carpaccio, greek salad and also the duck salad. They all tasted good and we could'nt wait for the main course to come.

We had Piri Piri Chicken, John dory and Ratatouille as our main dish, besides, I really need to have a compliment for the chefs as they served our food on the hot plate! I was so impressed as they understand the food is really easily to get cold in this chilly weather! The piri piri sauce was so tasty and make it perfect matching with the chicken, John Dory was really good and so was the ratatouille, we all had them finished with the dish washed....

Finally we've ordered the Chocolate fondant to share because we were really full.

I will definitely come back again with my friends and its a shame that I should have tried this restaurant earlier but still it isn't too late for me to discover this amazing place and share with others!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“One star even too much!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I used to LOVE the old Cococabana that was located in Deep Water Bay and I can’t tell you how many times I frequented there. I was so excited to discover that it had re-opened in Shek-O, one of my all time favourite beaches. What a location. Sadly, that is the only positive thing I can write about this restaurant.

We arrived and sat outside on a beautiful winters day. The waitress came to get our order. She didn’t write anything down. Then came back to check on the orders and had them all incorrect. We started again as she wrote it down. Drinks were slow to come. When they did come it was a can of coca cola with a straw in it. What happened to the glass? One of the side plates was dirty and greasy. When our entrees came they came in pairs. Nothing arrived at the same time. Then one of the Greek salads didn’t arrive for a long time and we had to ask for it a few times. When it did come it was about half the size of the other Greek salad that one of the other people at our table had. It was taken back to be fixed and when it returned only more lettuce was added – and the lettuce that was in it was actually old, wilted and slimy. The duck and beetroot salad was three very small slithers of processed duck with cut up tinned beetroot. It tasted of nothing.

We asked for salt and pepper. The pepper grinder was empty as was the salt. Nobody came for a long time so one of us had to go inside to request more salt and pepper. We were given two salt shakers and no pepper. Again, had to ask for pepper.

The mains were disgusting. Once again nothing came together. John Dory fillet on pasta that was not John Dory. It had obviously been frozen and was not cooked all the way through. The sauce was non-descript – meaning that none of us could work out what the taste was, and it was not a good taste at all! The Perri Perri Chicken was dry and yet oily at the same time – quiet a feat! The chunky chips were cold and had obviously been sitting out for some time. One of the other dishes was literally sitting and covered in oil.

This meal for five of us came to over 1200HKD. It was truly one of the most disgusting and awful meals I have had in a long time with incredibly poor service. As we were leaving we stopped to talk with the woman in charge to let her know of our disappointment. She had an ear piece in and rather than either asking us to wait until the conversation to be over or for her to end the conversation herself she instead covered the speaker with her hand. We told her of the problems and the only thing she said was sorry and she would let the kitchen know. She did not acknowledge the short comings in the wait staff at all.

I will be returning to Shek-O over the coming weeks and will return to the old favourites and will be avoiding this place like the plague. I suggest you do the same.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
uk
“unforgetable dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

its definitely a lovely location after they moved from deep water bay. i was recommended by a friend to visit. There are 4 of us having lunch in the sunshine. Food is alright and the staffs there are great as they all working with a lovely smile even the restaurant was fully packed.
My child was grumpy that day and one of staff came with smile and tried to calm her down which really impressed me since they were so busy! I ll recommend to my friends and family to visit there again for sure!