“The one I miss so much!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kau Kee Restaurant

Kau Kee Restaurant
G/F., 21 Gough Street, Mid-Level, Central, Hong Kong, China (Sheung Wan)
852-28150123
Improve this listing
Ranked #205 of 5,128 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Sheung Wan
Taipei, Taiwan
“The one I miss so much!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stew with clear soup is slightly sweet but good. My favorite is curry one with red noodle! Slightly spicy but sooooo good to have. Very impressive! Perfect food to have in humid Hong Kong :D

Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Worth the effort to look for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Read about this place in a travel blog when my brother and I were eager for some good beef brisket. Found it after searching along some cobbled streets pretty much like those you find in Covent Garden :) place is really a hole in the wall and was already full when we got there at about 7pm. Shared a table with 2 other covers - yes, they squeeze you in without so much as a by-your-leave. But then that's HK isn't it? Menu was in Chinese but we just pointed to what the others were having and we were served pretty quick. I had the stringy noodles while my brother had the flat rice noodles (hor fun). Beef was super tender, noodles were springy and the stock was light but extremely flavorful. If we didn't already have a snack of roast meat just before (sorry.. It is HK after all), we would have definitely gone for another bowl each. The place would have gotten 5 stars except that I wouldn't recommend it if you had young ones in tow. The noodles are also a bit on the pricey side ($36) given its location and whatever you can call an ambience.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort St. John, Canada
“Local's Recommended: Impression: Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We would likely have never recognzied this little shop as outstanding (in the eyes of local's) for it's many versions of beef brisket. The neighborhood in Sheung Wan is a great little wander for shops and galleries, and a noted top 10 French restaurant just down the street (Lot 10). While apparently often a line up to get in, the place is typical of local eating places in many ways. You, or others will be seated at any available stool with others, and the menu is somewhat limited. The beef brisket is ok, by consensus in our party of three, not outstanding compared to other similar places in the immediate area. The noodles have a faint overtaste of amonia, and certainly like many 'local' eateries the attention to cleanliness in the facility itself is not top priority. Had I gone out of my way to find the place, or waited to get in, I would have been dissapointed by the otherwise very average Hong Kong quickie chinese dining experence. Bottom line, the place is OK, not notable for a street eatery. Closes during the dinner hour when the staff eats, opens later. Limited english, but passable.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
singapore
“Different styles of beef brisket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stumbled upon Kau Kee after shopping at Homeless for furniture. Gough Street is located a short walk from either Sheung Wan MTR or Central MTR (longer walk).

Tried the curry beef brisket (similar to japanese style curry but not as sweet) and the original style. As observed by some other reviewers, the beef brisket is served with clear colourless broth, somewhat different than the beef brisket noodles that I'm accustomed to seeing which has a rich brown broth. However, the clear broth packed a surprising depth of flavour (reminiscent of daikon?). Well worth a try if you're in the vicinity (Central/Sheung Wan).

We were fortunate that we didn't have to wait for a table, but a line had formed by the time we finished (around 8pm).

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
HK
“best beef brisket”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I brought my Japanese friend to kau kee last week, she ordered the curry beef brisket with e-fu noodle and i ordered the one with normal broth. She told me she didn't expect that such an ordinary food can be so delicious, which was very different from what she ate in other place before.

BTW it was lucky for us that there was no queue when we arrived. It was 7pm.

Visited March 2013