“Every dish was a suprising delicacy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bo Innovation

Bo Innovation
Shop 13, 2/F J Residence; 60 Johnston Road,Wan Chai, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai)
852-28508371
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #37 of 4,657 Restaurants in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 184 Reviews
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Wan Chai
“Every dish was a suprising delicacy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to Bo innovation yesterday. Great experience!!! This was my boyfriend's idea, I am a bit of a complicated person when it comes to food (I have a weird list of food I don't eat: no raw fish, no raw meat, no olives, no raw tomatoes). So after we arrived and got sated at the Chef's table we sorted out my food list, the no raw fish / raw meat was affecting two or three dishes so I didn't say anything about the tomatoes and olives. So anyway, the chef took my no raw fish / meat real well ( i hate when people explain to me that I should eat raw fish or that my meat would taste better) and told me he'd figure out some replacement dishes (and he did!!!!).Every dish was a true delicacy and the chef explained to us each dish!
I don't want to talk about each dish because you should really go and experience it yourself, but the molecular dish: AMAZING!
They had a wide wine selection and I really enjoyed the dinner. The only problem, I drank a bit too much (I am so ashamed!!!! And I ruined the night for my boyfriend).

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Vancouver, Canada
“Clearly a top restaurant in HK”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The first time we went to Bo Innovation was several years ago. At that time, we were really impressed. Before we went this time, we were a bit wary of the wow factor being gone. Furthermore, the mixed reviews here were a concern. Fortunately, to our surprise, the food had improved even further. Around our table, we tried both menus, both of which were amazing.The dishes were very creative with small overlap from the ones we tried last time. The research that has gone in to create the dishes is amazing. This is really fusion Chinese food at its best. We had a great time and will no doubt go back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore, Singapore
“Was not Wowed me...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Tables are placed closely with many tables in a small area. Toilet is reachable outside. We are seated beside the service table which should be allocated somewhere away from the Dining area, considering this is a 3 Michelin star restaurants. Improvments need to be made to the dining space.

There isn't much to order from the lunch menu. Which means, that even if I want to come back again to try other dishes as the menu is not as extensive as I would like it to be. Well, in a way its good as the chef can perfect the dishes as it becomes a routine.

Service feels amateurish. The menu brief given by the waiters was not so good as they did not explain the additional signature dishes that we could order with set lunch. And we felt like he was rushing to complete all the explanation. The service was not as attentive as I would expect like from all the other 3 Michelin stars in Hong Kong or other michelin restaurants overseas. Service was a true disappointment!

Bo Innovation has just been awarded 3 Michelin stars for 2014 and I have been wanting to try for a long time. My friend also mentioned that she likes this place. So I made a lunch booking. The lunch is much better value for money than dinners but I think its only available on weekdays. Correct me if I am wrong!

Besides, Alvin Leung seems like a pretty demanding chef on himself and his staff so it cant possibly go that wrong.

The food is truly fusion. What I like about the food is that its tasty. And he uses different spices, a mix of some south east asian herbs with european herbs combined with Cantonese food.

But to be considered a restaurant that is worth a detour, its good, dont get me wrong but its nothing spectacular and did not knock my socks off.

And some items need improvement, like the har gow skin is pretty sticky and a bit dry, nevertheless its very tasty.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“A Worthy Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My daughter had raved about Bo Innovation and insisted on taking me there. We had the Chef's Table Menu. Together with the Amuse Bouche, we had a total of 16 interesting courses. This included the molecular "xiao long bao" which other reviewers have mentioned in this forum. Did not look like your regular xiao long bao but certainly tasted like one.

I enjoyed the hairy crab souffle with aged chinkiang vinegar followed by "ginger tea". The "ginger tea" was actually a ginger foam directed into liquid nitrogen. It was made in front of us and served as a lolly - slightly hard and cold on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. Magical! The White Truffle dish consisted of a yummy duck egg yolk, "cheong fun" and yak milk cheese - one of our favourites for the evening. 2 other outstanding dishes for me were the Red Fish and also the Saga-Gyu beef, both cooked to perfection with a "melt-in-your-mouth" sensation.

The service was great. The waiters were very attentive, gave clear explanation of each dish and changed many plates and cutlery during the course of the evening including the decorative pieces on the table which were there to enhance our experience. For example, the second dish was Caviar on top of a quail egg wrapped in taro. It was shaped like a bird's nest and served perched on top of a silver tree.

My daughter had ordered an extra dessert strongly recommended by her friend. Called "Sex on the Beach", it consisted of fine granules from biscuits depicting the sand. There was hot chilli oil under the "sand" suggesting heat and passion. On top of the sand, was a pink jelly like soft lolly
which is supposed to be a used condom! Quite an interesting experience with this dessert although we would not order it again.

Our bill with wine and service charge of 10% was approximately AUD 380 per head. Pricey but definitely worth the culinary experience. Recommend that you try it at least once.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Blows innovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Went last year with colleagues; we had the chefs table menu with wine pairing. Did not enjoy the food at all, it was chemical city, gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky, not to enhance the natural flavours of the food. Had the (dis)pleasure of having the one and only demon chef(whatever that means), Alvin Leung tell us all night how great and creative he is. Definitley a salesman trying to sell what his culinary skills cannot cover. His mouth writing a cheque his a** cannot cash.

Service was ok.

Bill was insane for the portions and quality (lack of), not to meniton the pedestiran atmosphere. Defiintely taking themselves too seriously and need to lighten up.

• Visited December 2012