“High-end culinary tour of Hong Kong” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bo Innovation

Bo Innovation
Shop 13, 2/F J Residence; 60 Johnston Road,Wan Chai, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai / Causeway Bay)
852-28508371
Good for: Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
San Francisco
“High-end culinary tour of Hong Kong”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The experience was quite good and the staff tries very hard. The sommellier was excellent as evidenced by the very strong wine pairings.

It's didn't earn 5 stars from me because many of the dishes failed. By "many" I mean that about 30% or almost a third lacked in proper achievement of texture or blending of flavors.

Bo was fine but not worth the trouble. You'll find some things you like but you'd also find some good in street food in Hong Kong. Save molecular and risky cuisine for elsewhere.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Singapore
“Explosion of tastebuds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

With very little time in Hong Kong, we were completely focused on doing a culinary tour of their great restaurants and this one was BEYOND our expectations. The food just amazes in the combination of flavour without anything over powering the other ingredients, the portions are perfectly sized (bear in mind that you will be eating at least 8 different dishes depending on the menu you choose), the presentation is a work of art, the service faultless. All in all, I will come back to HK even if it is only to eat at Bo innovation again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“lower than i expected both taste and price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

service very good , but my chef table menu + wine pairing 2,867 HKD too expensive for me when compared too the taste ( 20% like / 80% dislike )

now this restaurant is rank # 52 World's best restaurant , i m so surprising about this rank but people so crowded here .......so amazing ?????????

anyway , i do not recommend this chinese fusion style ,

PS : after back from restaurant to my room at Four seasons hotel , i was so hungry even i had the big complimentary bread by eat them all

so i had instant noodle in the late night OMG ,

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Completely amazing food, presentation and atmosphere.

We are big foodies and ate at many Michelin Star Restaurants whilst in HK but this was our absolute favorite!

The chef, we found out, was self taught like Heston Blumenthal.

Whilst I wouldn't say molecular gastronomy is usually our favorite type of restaurants - I now have changed my mind entirely!

Visited October 2012
Arizona
“A menu full of passion but not served with passion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was reading an article from Interiors Magazine way back 2010 where they featured Art in Food and for some unknown reason I clipped this article and just stashed it in my hard drive. When I flew to Hong Kong last month with my husband who was from Hong Kong I suddenly remember this photo of a chef with a lot of tatoos and search the internet for the Demon Chef. When we found it we decided to try to book a reservation and hope we get one. And we did! The venue was not of course the best venue in HK but something I expected when we saw the address. The price was 1 michelin star price. We began to be skeptical if the food will be 1 michelin grade but was absolutely surprise at the details poured on the food cooking and presentation. One thing we did appreciate is the heart and soul of the food was still Chinese or Hong Kong cuisine. Love the fact that the suckling pig has no fat and every cut had a crunchy skin. I love salted eggs and have always thought the only way to eat that was with congee or mixed in tomato and mango salsa. I never thought it will taste so great in Langoutine! The Tea and Coffee was a real surprise. The temperature use of hot and cold - it was a unique sensation to the tastebud. But to be able to incorporate unique cooking techniques was just awesome. The service was totally trained for michelin because I remember dropping one of the buns on the floor and I felt so embarassed for being a "clutz" but the waiter did not show any expression and just took a tissue from the back bar and discretely picked up the bun and threw it out, then he nodded at me as if saying "I have your back covered".

The sad part...
The servers in suites explaining the dishes where just going through the motion and to them it was like this is just something I have to do. Their English was not too good so talking fast did not help. Good thing my husband speaks the Cantonese language and had them re-explain everything in Cantonese so we can better understand them. And am glad we ask because it made us appreciate the food better.

If the servers have the same passion as how the food was made it would have been PERFECT!

Socialize
I believe Chef/ Restaurant owner need to be able to socialize with the people dining in his restaurant. It is like host and guest as well a bit like show business. We were totally satisfied with our wine and dinner (except for dessert which is because we are not fond of Chinese cuisine dessert) and as we paid the tab we asked one of the servers in suite if we can have a photo with the chef because we can see him in the kitchen - am sure he was busy but we got a "no" for an answer which is politely said. Or maybe he does come out of the kitchen at all or he does but we were just not at the right day and time.

• Visited September 2012